Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

Hi folk's, unless I'm mistaken we haven't seen the Me IO9 make an appearance yet was it a Frog original or Hasegawa in origin? I like the desert scheme and it

looks like a decent representation.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's, unless I'm mistaken we haven't seen the Me IO9 make an appearance yet was it a Frog original or Hasegawa in origin? I like the desert scheme and it

looks like a decent representation.

That was my first Me109 kit. According to Scalemates, the FROG kit was just FROG's and not done by Hasegawa.

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

That was my first Me109 kit. According to Scalemates, the FROG kit was just FROG's and not done by Hasegawa.

Chris

Thank's Chris,plenty of time left in this GB might have a go if one doesn't appear.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Chris,plenty of time left in this GB might have a go if one doesn't appear.

Great Steve, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one built

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f288-messerschmitt-bf-109-e--161556

We haven't seen many of the 1/32 scale aircraft yet in the GB

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Possibly we're talking about two different 109s here - the 1/32 scale E was a Haseqawa kit, while the 1/72 scale F was all FROG (and wasn't issued by Hasegawa in Japan, I'm a little surprised to find). In fact, all the 1/32 scale aircraft issued by FROG were Hasegawa tooling, though FROG did consider producing a 1/32 scale Spitfire XIV.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

We haven't seen many of the 1/32 scale aircraft yet in the GB

Sorry I have not replied earlier Pat but I fainted when I realised they did a 1/32 scale kit and I might be expected to build one! sorry I should have stated 

the 1/72,mind it does look good and can be bought at reasonable prices for a 1/32 kit.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chris

It was also my first kit (ever), well one my father built as I watched on, next was a FW-190 I think (also a FROG kit believe). Then I was hooked at the ripe old age of 7!

• Like 4

On 6/15/2019 at 11:02 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I did see one FROG kit at one of the Traders stands in the main hall but did not want to spend $20 on it, Sea Fury I think. I did find some non FROG RAAF bargains at the same trader ) Caribou and F-111C/G).

I did catch up with Rob S (and Graeme) a couple of times over the weekend.

Frank from ModelArt Magazine had a Frog Wyvern for $20.  It didn't sell on the Friday and we didn't go on the Sunday or Monday so don't know if it sold at that amount.  

Very nice to catch up with you again Ray.  Will definitely see you again in November at ScaleACT.  

• Like 2

On 6/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Sorry I missed you too Ray, however I was only there for a short time before heading back to the Airport.

Now Rob is trying to entice me to travel down to the Canberra show in November, so if all the planets line up we could catch up there. 

Cheers.. Dave  

You know you want to Dave ... what do the Borg say?  "Resistance is Futile!"!  

• Haha 4

It's always a bad combination Pay week and my modelling addiction,coupled with another GB that has me like a kid in a sweetshop drowning in nostalgia and 

lo and behold another two Frog kit's winging their way to my postbox(well shed cos' that's where the postie leaves my parcels).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

It's always a bad combination Pay week and my modelling addiction,coupled with another GB that has me like a kid in a sweetshop drowning in nostalgia and 

lo and behold another two Frog kit's winging their way to my postbox(well shed cos' that's where the postie leaves my parcels).

Hoho! Previously, for me it was the mailroom at work but I have latched onto the fact that there is a 'Click and Collect' option on most kit sales (ebay) that lets me pick up at the local Argos. I go in in disguise...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’ve given up on hiding my purchases these days. When the kiddies were young,  I recall they once asked me “Dad, why do you get presents from the mailman every week?”, my response was “Well, when you work hard at school, get a job and earn money for yourself, you can make Christmas come every week!”.  The kids seemed to take notice, Mum just rolled her eyes yet again! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 6

Hysterics all round, only 19 days into this GB and Dave (@Rabbit Leader) is telling us:

Build Tally    Total Builds = 103 / Total Subjects = 78 / Gallery Entries = 10 / Completion Ratio = 9.7 %

.......19 days into the Airfix GB, it was:

Build Tally    Total Builds = 70 / Total Subjects = 65 / Gallery Entries = 8

This one is going to break all records, I'm certain.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve given up on hiding my purchases these days. When the kiddies were young,  I recall they once asked me “Dad, why do you get presents from the mailman every week?”, my response was “Well, when you work hard at school, get a job and earn money for yourself, you can make Christmas come every week!”.  

Why then do I have associations with the converted old black Russian anecdote:

- Dad, hobby-shop have raised the price of

models , now you will buy models  less!?
 - No, son, you'll 

buy toy less!

😁😁

It's modeller version anecdote for modeller's, originally:

- Dad, shop have raised the price of vodka, now you will drink less!
 - No, son, you'll eat less!

Of course it's only humor.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 6/10/2019 at 8:45 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

So I flew 2 1/2 hours down to Melbourne and back today to attend Australia’s premier Model Expo and Swap meet. With a firm eye on Frog kits I managed to acquire the small stash below for what honestly are bargain prices. There were others, however the asking prices were a little too high for what they really are. Special thanks should go to @Rob S for gifting me the Barracuda as a birthday present. It was great spotting a fellow Queenslander so far away from home and the kit was just perfect. Funnily enough, I’ve just opened it up to find a nice sealed bag, good decals and what’s this - instructions for the Frog Mosquito!! Oh well, I’m sure I can work things out without them. 

48035902242_da6727edbe_b.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Dave as I said you deserve something for all the work you put in here and all the joy you bring others (let alone it was after all your Birthday!).  

In case others were wondering what the Queue looked like Graeme and I got there over an hour before it opened and we were this far from the front

48091114063_4aa8249043_b.jpg  

and with about 15 or 20 minutes to go the other end looked like this!  

48091114908_f52d91d969_b.jpg  

Dave was somewhere back there!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

In case others were wondering what the Queue looked like Graeme and I got there over an hour before it opened and we were this far from the front

48091114063_4aa8249043_b.jpg  and with about 15 or 20 minutes to go the other end looked like this!  

48091114908_f52d91d969_b.jpg  

Ah...."Back in USSR?"

😁😁

Almost like a queue in the late USSR!  Of course, not as much as

queue behind vodka during the time of the anti-alcohol campaign of gorbachev,

1529999338146643031.jpg

but more than the some queue for the NOVO or VEB Plasticart models!

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Hysterics all round, only 19 days into this GB and Dave (@Rabbit Leader) is telling us:

Build Tally    Total Builds = 103 / Total Subjects = 78 / Gallery Entries = 10 / Completion Ratio = 9.7 %

.......19 days into the Airfix GB, it was:

Build Tally    Total Builds = 70 / Total Subjects = 65 / Gallery Entries = 8

This one is going to break all records, I'm certain.

That’s quite interesting Mike. I’m still of the belief that this GB won’t exceed the Airfix one namely due to the fact that Airfix has a larger cross section of model categories, however the comparison stats for the same timeline period would seem to suggest otherwise. Very interesting. 

Still hard to believe we are only 19 days in. The excitement and rapid modelling activity is infectious. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

So, I should have listened more carefully to @Rabbit Leader when he said "you will be hard pressed restricting yourself to just one build."  Fast forward to a few days ago when I was chatting to a friend about this build and he said I could have a old Frog model kit he had, he said it was a Beaufighter. He wanted it gone, so I offered him what I had on me at the time: $2 bucks.  He dropped it by today:

48100057751_3f7ed79807_z.jpg

No instructions, no decals, and I'm pretty sure that's not a Beaufighter.  I'm not upset, I'm just confused.  Is it worth trying to salvage and make a go of it?

Edited by BlackAck
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, BlackAck said:

Is it worth trying to salvage and make a go of it?

Of course it is! When you get the chance, just take a look at @Greg Law 's current build. Greg's using a few AM additions to spruce up the rather basic and inaccurate kit parts included. 

... regarding the issue of restricting your involvement to just one kit.... See, told ya! 😜

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BlackAck said:

So, I should have listened more carefully to @Rabbit Leader when he said "you will be hard pressed restricting yourself to just one build."  Fast forward to a few days ago when I was chatting to a friend about this build and he said I could have a old Frog model kit he had, he said it was a Beaufighter. He wanted it gone, so I offered him what I had on me at the time: $2 bucks.  He dropped it by today:

48100057751_3f7ed79807_z.jpg

No instructions, no decals, and I'm pretty sure that's not a Beaufighter.  I'm not upset, I'm just confused.  Is it worth trying to salvage and make a go of it?

If you want I can send you a PDF of the instructions. Just message me. Have a look at my thread there is a link there that will take you  to a site that has new cockpit glass and cowellings for it.  By the way it is a Beaufort not a Beaufighter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am taking a couple of days off whilst waiting to recover from my ruddy cold. Looking at the posts in this build it is apparent that there are quite a few modellers out there who, like me, started long before the internet became available. If we were lucky we had a "proper" model shop near enough to be convenient, or failing that a newsagent, or in my case a local chemist who supplemented their income by selling kits. My local newsagent also sold kits for a while though I am unsure what make or scale - I do remember buying a "Curtis Navy Racer" biplane that seemed to be about 1/72.

As time went by it became possible to get Airfix Magazine in which a handful of mail order shops advertised - BMW (Builders Merchants Wimbledon) had for many years an ad on the back cover and I bought a few rare luxuries from them - I still have an LS kit of the Ki-67. Later I switched to Scale Aircraft Modelling and found H.J. Walkers of Hackney. Over a period of years I spent a lot of time on the 'phone to Tony Walker, and I will never forget the saga of my Monogram B36 - the most expensive kit I had ever bought at that time at around £15 (their B52 was only £10). Tony called me to apologise for the delay - explaining the kit had been wrongly delivered by Royal Mail and the recipient (a Bank I think) considered the very large box to be suspicious and called the Police. By the time the Bomb Squad had finished and Tony got it back it was a write off.

A change in my personal circumstances resulted in a break in modelling for 5 years or so, and by the time I restarted, the internet was available and Walkers seemed to have gone - often wondered what happened to them. Anybody got any info on when they closed? They were in a Post Office/Newsagents on Homerton High Street in Hackney. I did manage to visit him once, when he was just finishing unloading a container load of kits he had imported direct from Japan - I had given him some info on which of the 1/700 waterline series ships would be worth getting and collected a couple as I was in the area.

Happy days, now long gone.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

I remember those days. I used to buy my kits from hobby shops or toy shops. The advantage of those days was you were restricted of what you could buy. This was a good thing for me as I had a family to bring up then. Now with the internet and no one to watch over my shoulder I have become a mad kit buyer. With far to many dreams and ideas for the time I have left in this world. 🙄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterB said:

A change in my personal circumstances resulted in a break in modelling for 5 years or so, and by the time I restarted, the internet was available and Walkers seemed to have gone - often wondered what happened to them. Anybody got any info on when they closed? They were in a Post Office/Newsagents on Homerton High Street in Hackney.

The model shop moved to Leytonstone High Road in the early 1980s (the basement of the newsagents became a video rental shop instead) and then closed around 1987 or 1988. I'd have to look up old magazine adverts to check the actual date it moved - I don't remember seeing one when it closed, but it was definitely open at the start of 1987 as I remember getting the January 1987 Airfix Magazine there.

• Thanks 1