Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

I wish to declare with this . . . . Code F336

Airspeed Oxford Mk.II . . . . .   will be built as a squadron 'hack'

ATF-workbench-142.jpg

I also have this but it will depend on time ??

BM-GB-build-001.jpg

I had intended to build the Tallboy Lancaster, F215 with the Rovex instructions but upon opening the box, shock, there is only one half of the fuselage ?? Very strange.

Frog-Lancaster.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I had intended to build the Tallboy Lancaster, F215 with the Rovex instructions but upon opening the box, shock, there is only one half of the fuselage ?? Very strange.

Frog-Lancaster.jpg

Well if you do get the bits there are plenty of decal sheets around, should the need arise.

Cheers

Pete

16 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Well we've not  kicked off yet and we're already heading for an epic GB what's the chance's we'll end up covering the whole Frog range? Also what's the story behind

their B17,Frog original or re-boxing? Not that I've got my eye on one mind :whistle:

Hi Steve,

Got plenty of spare decal sheets but never actually seen the kit and it is not in the 1975 catalogue. Cocardes site says it was an E model Frog moulded in 76/77 and shows signs of being rushed before they went bust - their copy has moulding faults such as a bit of wing leading edge missing. If you were thinking of buying one try and get a look at it first.

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Got plenty of spare decal sheets but never actually seen the kit and it is not in the 1975 catalogue. Cocardes site says it was an E model Frog moulded in 76/77 and shows signs of being rushed before they went bust - their copy has moulding faults such as a bit of wing leading edge missing. If you were thinking of buying one try and get a look at it first.

Pete

Thank's Pete,probably go for a couple of smaller build's maybe the Skua and Hornet two aircraft I've never modelled at all let alone as Frog molding's,Ill see what turn's

up at the show on Sunday if not I can fall back on King Kit.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Pete,probably go for a couple of smaller build's maybe the Skua and Hornet two aircraft I've never modelled at all let alone as Frog molding's,Ill see what turn's

up at the show on Sunday if not I can fall back on King Kit.

The Skua is supposedly a bit inaccurate but I like it. I am considering doing a Hornet as well, but don't let that put you off - 2 versions in the box and maybe I will try for a Sea Hornet. Anyway I have another 2 or 3 kits I could try depending on how much time I have left after the Shackleton.

Pete

32 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Just been re-reading this thread here on BM,

Great thread Steve, - been going for over 2 years. Time for us all to change over our 'Signatures' to the new 'Frog Squad' logo?

• Like 1

My god, you put your head down for an overnight kip and ten (YES 10!!) new build threads pop up out of nowhere! Unfortunately, I'm a little pressed for time to add comments to all these new threads today, although I do promise to get around to them as time frees up. I see fellow host @JOCKNEY has penned welcomes in most of these so well done Pat (although he does now have one more build in this GB than I do - must address that, I think?)  I have updated the Build Thread, which now stands at 40 total builds comprising 33 unique Frog modelling subjects. I get the feeling this is gonna be something BIG!

Cheers... Dave  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PeterB said:

I sometimes wish I had paid more attention to the "Trailblazers" range. The only true one I have is the so called Westland Wallace (the record breaking prototype was actually known as the PV-6 when it flew over Mt Everest), though my Vimy is a reboxed RAF version of a Trailblazer kit I believe - not sure about the FD2 and the Gloster/Whittle as although they might fit the definition, Frog seem to have only included planes from between the wars which did not really fit in with my plans at the time. In fact I only bought the "Wallace" to hopefully convert into a "proper" RAF machine a couple of years ago. A missed opportunity perhaps but I have more than enough kits in my stash to take at least 10 years to build, so I won't be buying anymore.

Cheers

Pete

10 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Pete, we need someone to weigh in with the very rare Trail Blazers R101 Airship. Plenty time yet.

7 hours ago, PeterB said:

R101 crashed on maiden flight as I recall. I know Frog did an airship so perhaps it was the R100? Either way I have 4 in already and another 2 lined up on this GB and at least one on a parallel GB so I won't have time.  Also I have to shift at least half of my 150+ stash before I buy anything else or my wife will kill me!

Cheers

Pete

5 hours ago, KevinK said:

Frog indeed did do the R-100 as part of the Trail Blazers series.

The R-101 did crash on its maiden voyage, an attempted demonstration flight to India, but made a number of test flights from Cardington as part of its development. My mother, a schoolchild at the time, recalled seeing the R-101 in flight over Wellingborough.

I'm thinking about it....

The R-100 kit is quite simple as far as the airship itself is concerned: most of the work is in the mooring mast / tower, so it makes into quite a nice diorama.

@PeterB, you are right of course, I should have said R100. I just did a quick check on the histories and although they were linked, the R100 and R101 were built by different companies. Interesting to note that Barnes Wallis headed the design team for R100 and I believe reading that he was consulted on the manufacture of the Frog kit.

Well, @KevinK , it would be a wonderful contribution to this GB if you had one of the R100 kits and were able to build, or even 'refurbish' for this GB. I know the kits seem to be very rare and when one does come up for sale, a lot of money is involved. 

• Like 1

It looks like this Group Build is going to be a cracker!

Here's some of my built models from the round stand years. Not all built by me, some are as found, others rebuilt and restored and some completely built by me. They are all built box stock. I don't think any have added detailing other than by paintbrush.

Some require a bit of repair here and there, moving their storage boxes around over the years sometimes knocks bits loose.

The different takes on the same colour schemes is interesting, early references were less specific than current ones in this regard. Modellers did their best at the time, with what they had. 

Anyway, enough waffle, here's the builds...

IMG-7432.jpg

IMG-7433.jpg

IMG-7434.jpg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

My god, you put your head down for an overnight kip and ten (YES 10!!) new build threads pop up out of nowhere! Unfortunately, I'm a little pressed for time to add comments to all these new threads today, although I do promise to get around to them as time frees up. I see fellow host @JOCKNEY has penned welcomes in most of these so well done Pat (although he does now have one more build in this GB than I do - must address that, I think?)  I have updated the Build Thread, which now stands at 40 total builds comprising 33 unique Frog modelling subjects. I get the feeling this is gonna be something BIG!

Cheers... Dave  

I don't want to have you reaching for the medicine, Dave but I have checked back to the Airfix Golden Years GB (which started on 2nd June 2018 - scary, isn't it?) and at 30th May 2018 you said: Build Tally    Total Builds = 24 / Total Subjects = 23 / Gallery Entries = 0 . So.... comparing dates, this is definitely shaping up to be MAhoosive, as they say!  So for all of you Hosts, @JOCKNEY@Rabbit Leader or @vppelt68 , please remember to shout out / lean on the rest of us if the admin starts to get too heavy a load - you've got modelling to enjoy as well! Can this sort of thing go on your CV? Good Luck!! Mike. 

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers... Dave  

Hi Dave,

Sounds like quite a lot of work but I am sure we all appreciate you taking the time to do it. Look on the bright side - you can start building 9 hours before us in the UK (on Summertime so GMT +1) and lord knows how many hours before our friends in the States, particularly on the West Coast!

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

Impressive Tony!

Does it include a Shackleton?

Pete

No yet. I have an unbuilt one that will be staying that way, I'm a collector as well don't forget.

I'm always careful if I open up the Shackleton box, those rivets will have your skin off if you are not on the ball.

• Haha 5

Hi All

Tony that is a very impressive collection.  I would like to wish everyone good luck with their builds.  I have run out of time for much in the way of viewing all the builds tonight but will try again on a few tomorrow.

All the best

Chris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I have run out of time for much in the way of viewing all the builds tonight but will try again on a few tomorrow.

And the GB hasn't started yet !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

I don't want to have you reaching for the medicine, Dave but I have checked back to the Airfix Golden Years GB (which started on 2nd June 2018 - scary, isn't it?) and at 30th May 2018 you said: Build Tally    Total Builds = 24 / Total Subjects = 23 / Gallery Entries = 0 . So.... comparing dates, this is definitely shaping up to be MAhoosive, as they say!  So for all of you Hosts, @JOCKNEY@Rabbit Leader or @vppelt68 , please remember to shout out / lean on the rest of us if the admin starts to get too heavy a load - you've got modelling to enjoy as well! Can this sort of thing go on your CV? Good Luck!! Mike. 

My god Mike, that really surprises me, perhaps all the good 'Host' work conducted during the last Classic GB has encouraged even more modellers to take up the challenge. I've also not long realised that I'll be double booked from early August when my "In the Year I was born" GB makes a start and that already has 75 potential members planning to participate! I know you're one of those Mike, however I might take you up on the offer to potentially fill in the admin void here, although it'll be hard to stop looking at all these great Frog threads. 

By the way, I've adjusted the build list and we are now sitting at 45 builds. Surely we can hit the magical 50 before this Saturday?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

By the way, I've adjusted the build list and we are now sitting at 45 builds. Surely we can hit the magical 50 before this Saturday?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave, I have a possible 3 others lined up ( Bearcat, He162 and Ar234) but will only "post" them when I am sure I should have time -  others are no doubt in a similar position so we will definitely get well above 50 before the end of the build I suspect. As Mike said we are already ahead of the Airfix build at the same time so who knows just how far this will go.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Ladies and gentlemen 

Ive just noticed that our number of builds has expanded to a 3rd page and we haven't started the GB yet !  :shocked:

cheers Pat

It also should double that by the end - I bet! 

With @stevej60's two recent editions we are now at 47 builds / 39 subjects

There are multiple builds of - Master (x4), Shark (x2), Spit & V1 (x2), Canberra (x2), Gypsy Moth (x2) and Buccaneer (x2).

Thats's a great collection of kits so far nominated and hopefully we'll be able to capture a large chunk of Frog's extensive back catalogue by the end of the GB period. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

I've cleared my bench, given the shed a good clean up,  made up little trays for each build, sorted out supplies and laid in extra tea and biscuits. I'm ready to rock here!

url=https://postimg.cc/SjPgYJTD]IMG-7490.jpg[/url]

On your marks.....

Tony.

• Like 3

Dave,

Oh s*d it - I will no doubt regret this but I will enter the Bearcat and He 162 so with Cliff's Hampden that should be 50. They should only take a week or so to build (famous last words) and for the record I am not trying to take over the build - my wife has been nagging me for some time to shift some of my stash of kits so now is as good a time as any - at 2 a month every month they will be finished when I am 80! Probably lucky to get 2 or 3 built but who knows - at worst they will be finished a bit late. Now all I need to do is find somewhere to store them once built - she did not think of that!

Pete

PS A while ago I bought a Frog F338 B26 but when it arrived a few of the bits were missing and others were badly glued together. I will never make it so it is available for spares if anybody decides to do this kit.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

......................sorted out supplies and laid in extra tea and biscuits. I'm ready to rock here!

On your marks.....

Tony.

Don't know how to tell you this Tony @TonyW think you might have had a break in.......somebodies nicked yer tea and biccies.....:analintruder:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

Now all I need to do is find somewhere to store them once built - she did not think of that!

😂 My SWMBO urged me to build my unbuilt stash to make room in our closet back in 2014. I had been on a hiatus for 10 years. Much to her sorrow the boxes of unbuilt models took up less space. The completed kits now live in a total of five 1 meter long tubs in the closet. I have another 3 tubs and one large cardboard moving box filled in my garage. I'm running out of space 😕 rapidly. 

• Haha 1