Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

That looks the business, I must get my finger out and do the welcome and rules but, no prises for guessing who has never hosted a GB before is there !

cheers Pat

OK Pat I will tidy it up a little to make the letters more solid, then they should be more readable when reduced. Given that most Frog kits were originally in the red series boxes I thought it was appropriate. Could do the "Frog" at the top in Green like the second run boxes if you wanted or would that be too fancy?

Pete

9 minutes ago, PeterB said:

OK Pat I will tidy it up a little to make the letters more solid, then they should be more readable when reduced. Given that most Frog kits were originally in the red series boxes I thought it was appropriate. Could do the "Frog" at the top in Green like the second run boxes if you wanted or would that be too fancy?

Pete

That would be great, this is a real collaborative effort. 

Cheers Pat

Pat

Take your pick:-

Frogsquad

or

47930939626_f25c8124ec_b.jpg

Bit rough but then so are the kits! I resisted the temptation to add "out of register" to the bit about the "super accurate transfers" - all my copies for the Firefly certainly are! Entirely up to you - won't be offended if you don't use them but should stand out better when reduced in size,

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

Resized

fgb4

Agree the red makes it stand out even readable at smaller size

fgb5

Cheers Paul - I thought it might help.

Pete

What have no idea what to enter not being versed with the range, have to see what falls into place via eBay, though have built a couple of frogs this year already, am tempted by the Neptune rebox currently for sale....

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Hi All,

A quick question for our Britmodeller Forums Brain Trust?

Is the 1/72 Revell Skua Mk II a rebox/re-pop of the Frog kit or totally

different kettle of Fish?

a7ec8296-86a9-48a7-ad33-743a4f7c33a2.jpg

Many Thanks

Alan

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi All,

A quick question for our Britmodeller Forums Brain Trust?

Is the 1/72 Revell Skua Mk II a rebox/re-pop of the Frog kit or totally

different kettle of Fish?

Many Thanks

Alan

Its that same kit Alan as per the history lineage according to Scalemates - She's good to go for this GB. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Its that same kit Alan as per the history lineage according to Scalemates - She's good to go for this GB. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Awesome - Thanks Dave:thumbsup:

I'll add that to the list

I think, I should be able to crank out three kits in the 31/2 months or

so, that this GB runs for

Thanks

Alan

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Dave,

As and when you get time my proposed list is at the bottom of Page 17. Put me down for the first 3 initially and I will let you know if I have time for the others. I gather it is OK to put up an introduction before the deadline for building. Guess you get a head start on most of us in Brisbane!

Cheers

Pete

Happy to jot your name down Pete, however in order to keep things neat and tidy for myself, I find it best to do this once you've started a build thread for each kit.  When you get the chance, take some photos and get the ball rolling. I'll be watching these GB pages on a daily basis so (barring timezone differences) will add your details to the Build List not long after your threads are created. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I’ve just remembered, in my auxiliary stash I have an unboxed Frog Whitley, and a boxed repop from one of those Eastern European manufacturers.

Since Airfix produced a Whitley, these old stagers are unlikely to see my workbench. If anyone's interested in them for this group build, drop me a DM and we can talk about it. I rather think I’ll only ask for postage costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Happy to jot your name down Pete, however in order to keep things neat and tidy for myself, I find it best to do this once you've started a build thread for each kit.  When you get the chance, take some photos and get the ball rolling. I'll be watching these GB pages on a daily basis so (barring timezone differences) will add your details to the Build List not long after your threads are created. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Not done this before Dave so was waiting for the list. This any good?

Me 410

Bag

Bf 110

These are the 3 I intend to start with - Me 410, Shackleton MR3 and BF 110G. If I have time left I may manage these

DSC01182-crop

DSC01183-crop

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Just a quick update to say the Whitleys have been snapped up. It’s good to see them find a good home, and look forward to seeing them appear in the GB gallery in due course!

• Like 2

OK, Let me guide you through this @PeterB

1. You first need to go to the main FROG GB thread pages which you can find here - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/663-frog-squad-gb/

2. On the right hand side of the page, look for a Black Banner which says "Start New Topic". Click to open. 

3. Choose the first kit that you would like to build and enter a subject title, e.g.  "F178 - Messerschmitt 410". You can then start your WIP build thread by typing your nominated text and adding as many progress photos the in the empty white box below. 

4. Once this GB kicks off on Saturday 01 June, you can then start building your kit and keep updating your WIP Build thread at regular intervals until the model is finished. Other BM members will comment on your progress as you go. 

5. Once your Frog kit is completed, take some glamour shots and place your favourite five photographs in the GB Gallery - 

I hope this helps. Each subject needs its own WIP thread and there is no limit to how many kits you can build. 

Cheers good luck and have fun.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a couple of the iconic Spitfire XIV and V-1 sets somewhere in the stash. I'll look one out and start a placeholder build thread.

John

Edited by John
Can't spell thread
  • Like 2

Thanks Dave - I have set up the 410, Shackleton and 110 and will take it from there assuming it works. Let me know if I have messed up, otherwise I assume they will be added to your list. "Glamour shots" - suppose I could get my good lady to hold them when I take pics!

Pete

PS Do I need to add Tags and if so what?

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 1

I blame technology today for making our addiction too easy 😲

There I was minding my own business, out with the wife at a local Victorian pumping station. I was sat outside browsing through my phone while she went and got a couple of mugs of tea and a piece of cake for lunch, and before I realised what was happening, my thumbs had bought me a Frog FAW 9 Javelin from a well known online auction site 🤣

I know it was her fault for leaving me unsupervised, but I'm sure she won't see it that way when the package arrives 😂

Ian 

• Haha 8

20 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

I blame technology today for making our addiction too easy 😲

There I was minding my own business, out with the wife at a local Victorian pumping station. I was sat outside browsing through my phone while she went and got a couple of mugs of tea and a piece of cake for lunch, and before I realised what was happening, my thumbs had bought me a Frog FAW 9 Javelin from a well known online auction site 🤣

I know it was her fault for leaving me unsupervised, but I'm sure she won't see it that way when the package arrives 😂

Ian 

Hi Ian,

I have a similar sort of problem. My other half wants me to shift the boxes which make up my stash and are all over the house but I don't think she has thought it through fully - empty boxes mean more kits to store!! The Jav is not a bad kit though like the Vixen it looks a bit "heavy". Markings are a bit of a pain as they were non standard roundels and a ruddy big flash but if it is indeed Frog you may be OK. I think Hannants sell 1 sheet of a particular squadron history which includes a FAW9 - if you can find my previous posts in this build thread I think I mentioned it. I have just realised I have an He162 and a Revell "frogspawn" Ar 234 which I might even manage to build if I have time, but that may just be "a kit too far" - 7 is pushing it even when retired!.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

Well we've not  kicked off yet and we're already heading for an epic GB what's the chance's we'll end up covering the whole Frog range? Also what's the story behind

their B17,Frog original or re-boxing? Not that I've got my eye on one mind :whistle:

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for putting me on the "official list" Dave,

Mellowing with my post evening meal wine, I am rashly considering adding not just the Bearcat and Hornet to my entries, but also the He162 and the Ar234 - we will see how I am fixed for time, though being retired I might be OK. I will bid you a good Monday morning and go to bed.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I couldn't find many FROG kits locally. A sub post office in the town had a few of the bagged ones on a stand and local newsagents had the odd one or two kits but the main model shop and the bigger department stores didn't really stock them. 

If I wanted a specific kit it was either mail order or a trip to Argyll Models in Glasgow or Wonderland in Edinburgh. 

They were never as much a part of my early modelmaking as Airfix or Matchbox so they've always seemed a bit exotic to me. I've also come to realise that I don't know as much about the range as I do about the other brands - the P-40E being a case in point. I'll be following the builds with great interest. 

John 

• Like 1

I'm happy to advise that this Classic kit GB is already showing 30 committed builds which comprise of 24 individual Frog subjects, that's not a bad effort seeing we haven't even started building as yet! I hope that some of us (looking at you Rabbit Leader!) are not getting a little too enthusiastic and have nominated builds that they will probably (1) regret or (2) won't have any time for. Oh well, we are all kids at heart and the thought of revisiting our youths is probably why these classic kit GB's end up being so popular. 

Most of you have probably visited the build list, however I'll post up a quick link to make it easier to see what subjects have already been nominated.

When you look back on it, Frog was quite clever to produce a number of aircraft subjects that even to this day have not been produced by (lets just call them) mainstream manufacturers. They may not be up to the exacting standards that we know of today, however with a bit of time, effort and lots of luck - still build up to make surprisingly great models. 

I'd like to thank all those who have already shown their hand and have a feeling that there are a few lurkers still out there who are quite tempted to join in on all the fun. 

Oh - can I also mention that I do like seeing some of the ‘F’ numbers included within the subject titles. It firstly makes things a little easier for me and I also believe makes these threads stand out that bit more. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

Just remembered I have the Novo boxing of the Lightning F6. It would not take long to build but a few years ago I bought an Xtradecal sheet of stencils for it, and on past form it would not only take ages to put them on, but would drive me even more crazy than I already am, so perhaps not this time.

Pete

• Like 1

Waaayyy - Haaaayyyy! This is going to be out of this world! The Classic Frog GB hasn't even started yet and already I'm stretched to the limit to read and enjoy all the posts in this GB, which I must do of course. It's started already, I'm falling into the annoying habit that I keep moaning to my son about - 'get off that i-phone and do something useful!' I will be doing something useful , of course, when the modelling kicks off. For now, I'd better get my build threads set up.... Happy modelling everyone! All the best. Mike. 

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1