Frog Squad GB Chat

JOCKNEY

On 4/24/2019 at 11:49 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Straight from the Jeremy Clarkson school for mechanical studies. Hammers and Spanners to fix everything. 

As a Mechanical Engineer by training I prefer to call this "Victorian Engineering" - works pretty darned well on Steam Locos!

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dermo245 said:

I'm in with this. 

I know, not even close to being an F-4K - I think she's B-model (?) but with RN/RAF decals.

"Avoid like the plague" was one review. 😢

Well I think she deserves to get a moment in the sun.

47673105802_2dc31127c7_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

Lovely choice Dermot

A Phantom in Royal Navy colours, what's not to like. :yahoo:

Now you have lost your Vacform cherry,  :blush: there is nothing you need be afraid of !

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, good get @Dermo245, I believe this was the first Frog Phantom released in about 1967-68. It was then superseeded by a slightly better mould a few years later. 

Yet another plastic Classic that will be great to watch. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2019 at 4:38 PM, Mjwomack said:

I refuse to fondle any sprues or post teasing photos until this topic moves into the current builds area; I hope it's soon

Fondling and teasing are healthy hobbies, aren't they?

So why make us wait?

JR

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

If it's flirtation and tease you want, then a box art pic won't do, here's a tease though

Clue, I'm not doing the ski plane version

Tupolev SB-2 Katyuska? Choice of engines and props too....

Edited by Ventora3300

On 5/2/2019 at 3:54 PM, Mjwomack said:

Should I be impressed or very afraid?

Spot on, and no indication of which props for which version but I'll worry about that later

Hi,

Judging by the decals this is "Frogspawn" , possibly boxed with the La-7 as well but seems to cover the same options less the German so this may help - sorry if you know it already! In a book on the SB2 by Mikhail Maslov I found that the there were a number of versions of the license built Hispano Suiza engine used starting with the M-100 in around 1936. These had 2 bladed props. From 1937 the  more powerful M100A version had 3 bladers. Both types were called SB2 M100 apparently. In late 1939 production switched to the SB2 M103 and this had a revised cooling system which resulted in a radically changed nacelle shape not covered by Frog. His pics show that the Spanish and Czech types were SB2 M100 with 2 bladers. Incidentally when the green/blue camo was introduced in 1940 there were not supposed to be stars under the wings (contrary to the Frog instructions) but he notes this was sometimes ignored.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

And yes, it is the Frogspawn- novo in this case.

Very helpful info thanks- 2 blades it is; which sounds like it should be a budget modeller's nickname, as in 'have you seen what 2 blades has built this week'

• Haha 2

2 blades it is; which sounds like it should be a budget modeller's nickname, as in 'have you seen what 2 blades has built this week'

🧐 Hmmmm.... Maybe i could ask Mike ? Always did think my screen name was a bit long ?😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And yes, it is the Frogspawn- novo in this case.

Very helpful info thanks- 2 blades it is; which sounds like it should be a budget modeller's nickname, as in 'have you seen what 2 blades has built this week'

I read that Novo did not buy any of the moulds for German planes, but in this case they have just dropped the decs for the "captured SB" it seems. I have a spare set of original Frog decs if your Novo ones run true to form! PM me your name & address if interested.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Since there are some interesting Frog kit boxes posted here, some may be interested in seeing the oldest Frog kit I have:

resized_29cc3607-37cc-4e6a-80f1-da15d5e1

I'm not an expert but I think it's the original 1959 box.

I will not build this one, just posted the box as a curiosity. My original plan was to build the Eastern Express Sea Venom, however I may change plan and build and original Frog kit from the stash, either the Hurricane or the Macchi Mc.202

• Like 4

47759233882_b9c58bc6cb_b.jpg

OK, perhaps a bit “off topic” but whilst waiting to start the Frog Squad GB, I though I better finish some of the 7 kits which are/were in progress and thought you might find my “Frogfix” Javelin and my Revell ex Frog Vengeance amusing.

The Vengeance is painted in my take on the DuPont RAF equivalent colours used prior to the ANA standard being introduced. I added exhausts and replacement gun barrels. The Javelin FAW5 is a hybrid Frog and Airfix (ex Heller). I bought the original Frog FAW9/9R when it came out in about 1975 and initially thought it was OK, though like the later Sea Vixen FAW2 it did look a little “chunky”. Then in Jan 1982 edition of Scale Aircraft Modelling I saw a conversion mating the front end of the Frog kit with the Heller T3 to produce a series of earlier Javs with the distinctive “pen nib” exhaust fairings. I was very tempted but as I could not get the Heller kit I put it away and almost forgot it. About 10 years later I saw the Airfix reboxing of the T3 and grabbed one, which was probably a good thing as Airfix shortly changed the moulds to produce an FAW9, though I did not know about that until it was out of production. Having broken up the Frog kit, I had second thoughts as the conversion looked ruddy hard so I abandoned it until earlier this year.

The conversion is quite brutal as it involves cutting out the forward fuselage sections of both kits just behind the cockpit canopy, likewise the radar nose cones, and then grafting the Frog nose to the rest of the Heller.Airfix T3 before adding the so called “bosom tanks” from the Frog kit and the nose cone from the Heller one, but in reality it works out quite well if, unlike me, you can use a razor saw accurately! I have built mine as a FAW5, though the 4 is identical externally. Once I got over my nerves I actually enjoyed building this model of the RAF's first purpose built all weather fighter. Like most early designs it had problems and was only built in modest numbers, remaining in service for just over 10 years. In fact it is exactly the sort of less well known aircraft that only Frog would consider modelling in those days, as is the Vengeance.

Roll on June.

Giorgio, I have always liked the Folgore - bit basic of course but with a decent paint job (unlike mine) it should look great. The Sea Venom is also pretty good.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

Not long to go now anyone else getting excited ?  :jump_fire:

A while ago I suggested we needed a Frog Group Build banner, with my limited IT skills this was going to have to be done by someone else. However nothing has since been put forward so my daughter offered to try. I expected something very swish but instead she came up with what's below.

image001

Dont feel nervous about suggesting something / anything as an alternative, no offence will be taken and she will never know we didn't use it.

Worryingly it does look like one of my own doodles from one of my exercise books back in the 1970's !

Has everyone got their builds ready, checked its all in the box , decals, instructions do you have the right paint etc ?  :goodjob:

You know, repeat after me....tickets money passport !

cheers Pat

Edit

I believe we also need the Britmodeller logo and name on it having looked at others, although that's the least of its problems ! :bristow:

• Like 5

I really like that- very Lichenstein

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/roy-lichtenstein-1508

Which, I'd like to have a 'pop' at making one day having seen the original on a school trip back in the day.

Back to the build though what's all this about having the right paint? I thought for a retro nostalgia build it was grab anything that's a bit crusty and slap it on!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Back to the build though what's all this about having the right paint? I thought for a retro nostalgia build it was grab anything that's a bit crusty and slap it on!

That’s the beauty about these Classic GB’s, we all understand that the subject matter is never going to rival what’s been produced since so there’s really no pressure to get things 100% right (and that’s not possible with any kit anyway!). 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

Hi all

Finally been able to assess what I have to build and I have these to choose from, The Shark is favourite and has an Aeroclub Engine and Prop to replace the Kit's offering, I was looking at the Vimy but I seem to have mislaid my Frog Decals as the Novo ones explode on contact with water and on the Master I have built up the engine and painted.  I also have a Frog Whitley but my track record of finishing GBs on time is not that great !!!  I will carry on looking for the Vimy decals and if I find them it may stand a chance.

f1a758b7-40b9-4157-82b4-01309afa59ec.JPG

8ef42f12-5029-4ce0-b6af-96c01c48fdd4.JPG

b2bd5807-b044-477c-8ad9-846ba166f545.JPG

a2e08829-82c3-40f3-a22f-a4db5a1c98bd.JPG

Looking forward to this GB

All the best
Chris

• Like 2

Nice one Chris

Your Miles Master is well below the 25% completed so that one will count as well. 

Ask @PeterB Pete if he has any decals for the Vimy, or put a request on the wanted section, you never know your luck !

Guilty as charged regarding not finishing GB's 

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one Chris

Your Miles Master is well below the 25% completed so that one will count as well. 

Ask @PeterB Pete if he has any decals for the Vimy, or put a request on the wanted section, you never know your luck !

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat

I will have another look for the decals . They will turn up I am sure.

I will try and finish one, honest!!!

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

the Novo ones explode on contact with water

OH! I had no idea about that 'undocumented feature', I'll try to remember to video it for the WIP thread. Glad I'm going for a scheme which doesn't have many markings if it gets too spectacular!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Found the decent Frog Decals, I had chucked out the Novo ones and replaced them with the Frog ones in the Vimy box believe it or not. I only discovered this after going through half of my stash boxes. Getting old is horrible!!!

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one Chris

cheers Pat

Hi,

Last Century I bought 3 bags of assorted Frog decals from Hannants for about £1 each and currently have one or more sets of decals for over 40 different Frog kits, but not the Vimy (or indeed any of the "Trail Blazers" unfortunately) so I will need to be inventive when I finally make my own Novo one. Plenty of Mirages, Sea Venoms, Havocs , Marauders, SB-2, Shark, Sea Fury and the like if anybody needs a set. One or two of the early RAF ones are either very dark, out of register or both but most seem useable - they have spent the last 30 or so years in a dark cool place and have not yellowed, though putting them in a plastic bag in the window for a while can sometimes solve that problem I find. I have just used a Hellcat set and they were fine. I have tried coating Novo decs with MS Decal Fix or varnish and that sometimes works - not sure how other Frogspawn decs such as Eastern Express behave. Would a list of the ones I do have be of any use?

Cheers

Pete

PS Pat

Being retired I might have a bit of time left after my Me410 and Bf110 builds - has anybody mentioned the Shackleton MR3? Just a thought! I have the South African decals, and may be able to lash up some RAF ones if time permits. No idea what make it is as it is in a bag - probably early Novo as no decs and a photocopied Frog instruction sheet marked "imported by Hannants".

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4