How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

We moved from house to a flat. Pauline mad keen gardener although she cannot garden (age you know).

Been concerned as I just carried on model making. However ingenuity & thought (what is left at 82) & rigged this up.

All planting & the bird sanctuary is Pauline not me. Plus her herb garden are all her work.

So now very satisfied & she is happy. Good that is it not. Sparrows probably 50 visitors a day. They are aware when food

is replenished within seconds & we are on the 3rd floor..

Chase off Magpies, Seagulls & Pidgeons. Found a pidgeons in the lounge one day.

Laurie

http://vDqh4T.jpg gBBaQi.jpg dcWqRd.jpg WU6qJF.jpg Phwzeg.jpg wejXnk.jpg Da8T7N.jpg ithbGA.jpg

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, LaurieS said:

We moved from house to a flat. Pauline mad keen gardener although she cannot garden (age you know).

Been concerned as I just carried on model making. However ingenuity & thought (what is left at 82) & rigged this up.

All planting & the bird sanctuary is Pauline not me. Plus her herb garden are all her work.

So now very satisfied & she is happy. Good that is it not. Sparrows probably 50 visitors a day. They are aware when food

is replenished within seconds & we are on the 3rd floor..

Chase off Magpies, Seagulls & Pidgeons. Found a pidgeons in the lounge one day.

Laurie

http://vDqh4T.jpg gBBaQi.jpg dcWqRd.jpg WU6qJF.jpg Phwzeg.jpg wejXnk.jpg Da8T7N.jpg ithbGA.jpg

Very nice Laurie. Pauline has made a superb job, very colourful, and to attract our little feathered friends is great (well apart from disease ridden pigeons that is).

• Like 1

Well Pauline puts out these worm things got from Amazon. a big packet.

They go out on the plants on our balcony.

Well today a lot of cheeping from one sparrow. Just kept on her pretty song

Then all of a sudden the little new chick arrived. A baby all fluffy sparrow.

He (may be she) sits on the edge of the flowerpot. Mother has a worm herself

then picks up another flicks over to the flower pot next to the chicks & pops

the worm into chicks mouth. This continued for some while.

Flew off & a repeat visit latter. Cheeping again to alert the chick. Amazing.

Wanted to take a picture but it is difficult as the mother is on high alert &

the slightest movement & they have gone.

Laurie

• Like 1

Ukraine 0 - England 4.

Not just the magnificent result, but watching the national team play with confidence and swagger that I can't remember ever seeing before. I reckon Denmark must be sweating.

• Like 2

Yes great result & some very nice moves. Happier if there were some more Reheem Stirling & Gascoigne around. Footballers who almost have the ball stuck to their boot.

Just watch the ball when Reheem  runs at the opposition. Gascoigne did the same he bustled forward. Opposition players then have no time to think as they are memorized. Also very exciting football as the game had more exciting momentum.  Stanley Matthews was a great exponent of the dribble (old enough to have seen him) as was Reich Carter.

Football club should try & get players to emulate. This pass & pass becomes so boring. Introduced in the fifties I think Hungary.

Now it is all defence

All the above players play or played very close to opposition players. Reheem does that also darned fast. More please

Laurie

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LaurieS said:

What about being a boy of 5 & seeing a Tempest chasing a Doodle Bug (V1 Hitler bomb) over his garden.

Laurie

My mum told me a story about the doodlebug that she saw when she lived in Tunbridge Wells during the war. She was playing with her older sister at the Wellington Rocks when they heard a V-1 overhead and its engine cut out right overhead and heard an explosion in the distance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

My mum told me a story about the doodlebug that she saw when she lived in Tunbridge Wells during the war. She was playing with her older sister at the Wellington Rocks when they heard a V-1 overhead and its engine cut out right overhead and heard an explosion in the distance.

Interesting Mick as it must have been off track.

A lot  of fooling by the British went on. Cannot remember what they did now.

The general idea was hear them & you are safe. The engine stopped out of fuel. The thing then glided noislessy on quite a way & then hit earth

Laurie

21 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

A lot  of fooling by the British went on. Cannot remember what they did now.

Essentially it was a disinformation campaign, making reports of V1 hits to the north of London. The hope was the false reports would get back to the Germans, and range and guidance would be adjusted to compensate. This actually worked, and a lot of the missiles hit to the south of London with fewer chances of casualties. Kent, of course, got quite a few, but being chiefly a rural county helped.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Essentially it was a disinformation campaign, making reports of V1 hits to the north of London. The hope was the false reports would get back to the Germans, and range and guidance would be adjusted to compensate. This actually worked, and a lot of the missiles hit to the south of London with fewer chances of casualties. Kent, of course, got quite a few, but being chiefly a rural county helped.

Yes that is correct Heather. From memory they had a German who was a spy & changed sides. The Germans still under the impression he was working for them.

This "spy" was transmitting false info. of where the V1s were landing. The VI Germans than reset navigation & many bombs fell north of London.

There is much more to these counter measure, scientific ones, sadly cannot find it for the moment.

I do believe the Kent V1s were mostly faulty in nature. The V1s were definitely set & concentrated on London with the high population.

Evacuated to my Grans in Hull from London to avoid the V1 on slaughter.  Allies pushed up France no London V1s. They started to send them to Hull. Back to London.

6 years old at the time.

Laurie

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

That was Eddie Chapman who was a British double agent....

Well done Vince Eddie Chapman.

Also found this Zig Zag being Eddie & Tate being Danish working for the Germans, the Germans thought, but working for MI5

The British noticed that, during the V-1 flying bomb attacks of 1944, the weapons were falling 2–3 mi (3–5 km) short of Trafalgar Square, the actual Luftwaffe aiming points such as Tower Bridge being unknown to the British.[10][11] Duncan Sandys was told to get MI5-controlled German agents such as Zig Zag and Tate to report the V-1 impacts back to Germany.[10] To make the Germans aim short, the British used these double agents to exaggerate the number of V-1s falling in the north and west of London and to under-report those falling in the south and east.[1][9]:ch 44 Around 22 June, only one of seven impacts was reported south of the Thames, when 3⁄4 of the V-1s had fallen there. Although the Germans plotted a sample of V-1s which had radio transmitters, showing that they had fallen short, the telemetry was ignored in favour of the agents reports.[11]

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 2

This is a bit about Eddi.

He obviously was a two character man a criminal & obviously ? loved being British

A Jekyll & Hide with out doubt. A great amusing complicated story

It was now March 1939, and the exploits of Chapman’s gang were in the national newspapers. They soon featured in the Jersey newspaper after the gang were cornered by detectives, but again they escaped arrest. Deciding to then blow a safe in Jersey, Chapman was eventually caught and given a two year sentence on 11 March 1939, the maximum sentence which could be served in Jersey at the time. He was not extradited to the UK because he had, on this occasion, committed a crime against Jersey law and therefore had to be tried in Jersey.

While Chapman was in Jersey Prison, he briefly escaped on 6 July 1939 before being caught. On 6 September 1939 another year was added to his sentence. This started with three months’ solitary confinement, against which Chapman rebelled by trying to escape again. For this he was given another three months solitary confinement, against which he rebelled a second time by apparently going on hunger strike.

Chapman was still in prison when the Germans occupied the Island. He was released in October 1941 and immediately joined a black market gang, some members of which he had met in Jersey Prison. At the same time, he went to see the German occupying authorities and offered his services to the German secret service, telling them about his past in the criminal underworld. Just over a year later, Chapman made a statement which claimed that Anthony Faramus, whose story also features on this website, had also made this offer to the Germans. Nothing came of this for a while, and he worked with the gang who operated out of the back of a hairdressing salon in St Helier where Faramus worked.

One day the Jersey police came into the salon and arrested Chapman and Faramus. They were handcuffed together, handed over to the Germans, and put on a boat to Granville. According to both Chapman and Faramus’ occupation registration card, this took place on 28 January 1942. However, according to Chapman’s statement of December 1942, the deportation took place in November 1941. They were taken first to Saint-Denis Internment Camp, and then to Fort de Romainville Prison. The other prisoners apparently treated them very well on finding out they were British.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

There's a great book about his story called Agent ZigZag: The True Wartime Story of Eddie Chapman....

Read it some time back Vince. Bit of a nut case a real mixed up character.

Had a good laugh at him escaping jail in Jersey. Not many places to go.

Believe he was found on Mount Bingham.

Jail Bird & hero. What can you say a crook who saved many English lives.  So bizarrer

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Richard Bransons 'Virgin Galactic' flight to the edge of space takes off at two this afternoon and is being streamed live....

Seeing some one with more money than sense.  🥺

I would rather venture to Green Island in Jersey. 😊

Or even slum it on Lihou in Guernsey 🤣

Laurie of the Isles de Jerais : Inner Space ie on earth.

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

Seeing some one with more money than sense.  🥺

I don't see it like that if it wasn't for people like him the same as the Wright Brothers/Henry Ford or anyone else willing to take a risk we'd still be using ponies or horses to go shopping let alone going on holiday to another country...Don't forget about Isambard Kingdom Brunel if it hadn't been for him with Steam Ships Great Britain/Western and Eastern travelling by sea would be a lot different as well....

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1