Jump to content

How about a "What makes you happy" thread?


lasermonkey
 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

My kind of library too. Pratchett and Larsson

(I'm sure I saw a new 'Girl who' book in print)

Plus Orson Scott Card and Greg Bear!

You'll need this one too...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peace-War-Omnibus-Forever-GOLLANCZ/dp/0575079193/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1548617544&sr=1-2&keywords=the+forever+war+by+joe+haldeman

That was in the last box with the Iain M Banks. Went on the shelf today.

2019-01-27_08-12-56

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wez said:

The jam tarts that the wonderful Mrs Wez made me with the surplus pastry left over from tonight's dinner :eat:

When a smart little boy my mother used to make lemon curd tarts. Smart little boy used to eat them.:rofl:

 

Laurie

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

beleve it or not.  Modeling!!!:P

 

and reading

 

and playing computer games as well as woodwork

 

(and reading thru BM WIP threads)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This website makes me happy. It seems to be the one sanctuary on the internet from argumentative and generally offensive content. I know there is the very occasional heated debate over accuracy of kits, but it is otherwise free of the smart-bottom know-it-all kind of posters that frequent other subject forums and and social media in general. I hope it always stays that way.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26 January 2019 at 10:31 AM, John_W said:

2019-01-26_10-20-31

Put new bookshelves up and managed to get my books out of storage.

I think with some shuffling I may be able to free up some shelves for models too :)

Looking at that set of shelves, I think you've got half my book collection there too. (OK so my Expanse books are on my Kindle app, but the principle still holds 🙂)

Edited by Simon Williams
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Stimpy said:

Bristol Rovers FC make me happy. Especially when they're winning!!

Mine is Hull City.

 

Born in Surrey but mother is a Hull (ull) girl.

 

Uncle took me to see my first ever football match.

 

What an afternoon. Hull beat Bury 8:0. I was probably

about 10 years old.

 

Down south, where I lived, Fulham played at home on Saturday the next

Saturday Chelsea would be at home. Went each Saturday.

 

Got to see the great Johnny Haines, Jimmy the Hill at Fulham & Jimmy Greaves at Chelsea.

Laurie

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Mine is Hull City.

 

Born in Surrey but mother is a Hull (ull) girl.

 

Uncle took me to see my first ever football match.

 

What an afternoon. Hull beat Bury 8:0. I was probably

about 10 years old.

 

Down south, where I lived, Fulham played at home on Saturday the next

Saturday Chelsea would be at home. Went each Saturday.

 

Got to see the great Johnny Haines, Jimmy the Hill at Fulham & Jimmy Greaves at Chelsea.

Laurie

 

 

I'm a season ticket holder and go to every home game, not so many away games this season but will be going to Portsmouth and Plymouth. Loves the Gas I dooz!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Leeds for me,going back to the days of Cloughie and Billy Bremner etc.....

Leeds at that time Vince were the crem de la creme.

 

From memory near half the team formed the English team.

 

They played great football as well. Remember the backs used to dash up the wings. Still think that

makes great play. There is movement from one end to the other rather than some of the stagnant

play of today.

Laurie

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Leeds at that time Vince were the crem de la creme.

 

From memory near half the team formed the English team.

 

They played great football as well. Remember the backs used to dash up the wings. Still think that

makes great play. There is movement from one end to the other rather than some of the stagnant

play of today.

Laurie

They don't really play football today in the top league Laurie,back then if they walked off a pitch with a few stud marks on their legs it's part of the game,these days it's a foul (even if they trip over a blade of grass)....Tbh the Championship's a lot better than the premier league these days....

Edited by Vince1159
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

They don't really play football today in the top league Laurie,back then if they walked off a pitch with a few stud marks on their legs it's part of the game,these days it's a foul (even if they trip over a blade of grass)....Tbh the Championship's a lot better than the premier league these days....

Vince yes was it bite your legs Norman who played for them ?

Laurie

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, John_W said:

Am I showing my age if I say I remember the fuss that was made when Trevor Francis was transferred for £1,000,000?

 

Not half as much as being able to remember when John Charles went to Juventus for £65k. Now that's little more than a days wage for some of them. Ludicrous!

 

John.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Who? :giggle:.....

 John Charlesconsidered to be the footballer of footballers. Played real football. Did not see him play in the flesh but saw flashes of him playing

quite incredible.

 

Jimmy Hill & Johnny Haines  were earning the sum of £14 per week when I saw them play.

 

I was earning about £8 per year as a probationer in an architects office.

 

Then Jimmy the Hill changed it all with strike threats etc.

 

Laurie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Who? :giggle:.....

As Laurie was eluding to, he was considered by some to be the greatest footballer ever to have come from the UK. 6ft 2in, he was known as he gentle giant in Italy. Never cautioned and never sent off.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thinking back to when I was a kid.

 

My wife & I were reminiscing this afternoon.

 

A couple of items.

 

My friend & I had a dinky toy each. Precious probably about 1947 aged 8 or 9.

My was a Studybaker. One car was about it per boy then. Looked after like no

other toy. My father had given me a plot in the garden about 8 feet square next

to the chicken shed we had 12 chickens.

 

We would spend hours building roads on this little plot in the earth & then play

with these two dinky toys. In the back ground the hens singing away.

 

The other. About 4 of us had the old Hornby 0 gauge series the big clockwork sets.

We pooled all our lines & built a huge length of rail. Then wind up the springs on

the locos. Set them on the rails & watch them all race down this huge length of line

all following each other.

 

We would repeat all the above in different fashions spending hours & hours. Does

not happen now. Pity that is how good friendships were made.

Laurie

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just a bit younger than you Laurie (1946), but I too have fond memories of the old Dinky's, in particular the Studebaker. When I had mine in the 50's (I had two of them), Broderick Crawford was on TV saying things such as "21-50" and "10-4" in Highway Patrol as Dan Matthews. I used to watch every episode and consequently, both of my Studebakers ended up being repainted black and white. Yes, I know that in the program the patrol cars were '55 Buicks, but that didn't matter to me at the time. I wasn't so pedantic then.

 

John.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I'm just a bit younger than you Laurie (1946), but I too have fond memories of the old Dinky's, in particular the Studebaker. When I had mine in the 50's (I had two of them), Broderick Crawford was on TV saying things such as "21-50" and "10-4" in Highway Patrol as Dan Matthews. I used to watch every episode and consequently, both of my Studebakers ended up being repainted black and white. Yes, I know that in the program the patrol cars were '55 Buicks, but that didn't matter to me at the time. I wasn't so pedantic then.

 

John.

John wish I had that Studebaker (correct spelling just could not remember) would be worth a fortune not that I would sell it.

Laurie

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...