How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

On 19/11/2021 at 13:26, John_W said:

My Great Nephew "Rang the Bell" at Leeds Children's Hospital and is now cancer free.

Absolutely brilliant John.

Daughter in Law Candy , wife of Pete my youngest son, was found to have lung cancer.

Right at the Covid beginning. Plus being of West Indian Parentage more susceptible

to the ravages of covid.

Operation. Many tests since & all is OK. However Pete would not let Candy out & a good job he has done.

My wife, we in Jersey, they in Stratford London, & we have not seen them since covid began.

But they are safe & that is the important bit. There is though more than a tinge of sadness.

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 5

Well, I've had a few things. Best of all was Saturday morning, sitting in the food area, just inside the entrance at Telford, and this 9 year old boy comes into view and stands there staring at me for few seconds, until I took my mask off. And then the penny dropped. "It's Granddad! It's Granddad! Dad, look. It's Granddad!" And with that he came running over and threw his arms around me. We haven't seen each other for two years, so it was very emotional. So we spent most of the weekend together.

The rest of the weekend went fairly well. I spent a small fortune, but came away with several kits and bits and pieces that I wanted. Oh, and picking up a Commeded (sic). a bronze and a gold medal in the competition. Never had one of those before. So all in all, a very happy bunny.

John.

• Like 8

Hi

happiness is ....

Floods starting to go down and highways slowly reopening here in vancouver area and lower BC 

and the gasoline at the pumps hasn't run out yet 

( maybe rationing is working ) 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

A 'win' of £25 in a prize draw on paypal which I did not know about

I had ignored their emails about them running a prize draw until Christmas

Last night I decided to buy some leather making patterns which were on 'Black Friday' discount even though I could not really afford them right now

When I paid for them via paypal I thought the payment had failed. But the 'win' had covered the price plus I've got another £7.50 of it left to spend

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Well what made me happy

yesterday was

submitting my form for retirement at work

at the end of september working for a living will be a thing of the past 

and i recently sold the house as well 

cheers

jerry 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Enjoy your retirement. I have to say that I have more work now than when I was employed. Something to do with looking after 2 horses, ( up to ) 4 dog and 10 acres of land!

John. 🇺🇦

Like it.

Did not think of retirement as an end to part of my life.

Just change with more opportunities for other things.

Also even now at approaching 84 |I like to keep the brain working at it's mamximum.

Although not having an activity which earns money i have revelled in learning to cook.

That has brought a great interest into my life. Not sure that goes for my wife !!!!!!!

Laurie

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Enjoy your retirement. I have to say that I have more work now than when I was employed. Something to do with looking after 2 horses, ( up to ) 4 dog and 10 acres of land!

John. 🇺🇦

I find having a partner has had the same effect.

• Haha 2

Cheese and beans on toast. As humble a food as it is, something magical happens when cheese meets bean. I like to add some smoked paprika and freshly ground black pepper to the beans, as it takes it to a whole ‘nuther level.

It’s a simple pleasure that I can’t have very often, (because reasons) but it never fails to brighten my day. 

19 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Well what made me happy

yesterday was

submitting my form for retirement at work

at the end of september working for a living will be a thing of the past 

and i recently sold the house as well 

cheers

jerry 

Well done! Work is overrated. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

Well done! Work is overrated. 

Well 50 years as an architect to the day. One or two rough days but loved the rest. Meeting people.

Common thought that architects sit at a drawing board all day.

Now off to see client. Meet planning Officers. Argument, loved them, with building inspectors. See plumber. Meet with electrician.

Visit 2 or 3 building sites a day. Air con man consultation. Meeting Structural Engineer. Boring meet with Quantity Surveyor.

The a bit of design work on the drawing board.

Yes great working life. Always worked as a team & had great results with help from all of the team. Miss the comradeship.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Well 50 years as an architect to the day. One or two rough days but loved the rest. Meeting people.

Common thought that architects sit at a drawing board all day.

Now off to see client. Meet planning Officers. Argument, loved them, with building inspectors. See plumber. Meet with electrician.

Visit 2 or 3 building sites a day. Air con man consultation. Meeting Structural Engineer. Boring meet with Quantity Surveyor.

The a bit of design work on the drawing board.

Yes great working life. Always worked as a team & had great results with help from all of the team. Miss the comradeship.

I had a couple of my own businesses and made enough to retire at 50. 

Couldn't wait, miss no one. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

I had a couple of my own businesses and made enough to retire at 50. 

Couldn't wait, miss no one. 

Well that is sad. Some in my life work have since disappeared but great to see those still around.

To me that is life what else is there friendship.

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

Well that is sad. Some in my life work have since disappeared but great to see those still around.

To me that is life what else is there friendship.

Not sad. I've got my family.

Three sons and grandchildren, that's enough for me. 

• Like 1

Busy weekend for me - but on Saturday nice things happened. I found a suitable length trailer for my (rather large) sailing dinghy on Facebook Marketplace just under a month ago. I contacted the seller and he agreed to my offer to pay half then and hold on to it a few weeks until we could both meet. He made things better by offering to arrange an overdue family visit in Dundee and tow the trailer from his home in Glasgow to there for me, which saved me 2+ hours of driving and a big glug of fuel. Moreover, I'm between cars with a towbar right now so my dad kindly gave me his car for the week - but I had to go to Forres to collect and return it.

It's been a while since I've towed anything but it came back quickly enough. Long trailers don't seem difficult to tow.

PXL_20220827_104841919.MP.jpg

PXL_20220827_104833287.jpg

I tried the dinghy on too. It's going to work fine. I need to cut off the current supports which don't suit my boat and weld on new ones which do - but that was expected.

Trailer.jpg

PXL_20220827_133116432.jpg

We've booked places on a sail making course in April. It's going to overlap with the Scottish Nationals in Perth which I both forgot about but also don't have much choice about - the sail making course is neither often nor widely available and would have taken priority anyway, but needless to say we'll miss the model show as we'll be trying to learn a new skill. I suspect Gill will master it quickly and that I will really struggle - but I'll be giving it a go.

I have become incapable of seeing blue water under a blue sky without wishing I'd already finished my little sailing boat.

• Like 7