How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

Running weekend training for the Cadets. 

Had a young lady, new recruit, never fired a weapon in her life.

So, spent the morning teaching her the correct operation of the BSA Scorpion Air Rifle followed by principles of marksmanship.

Very switched on cadet, took them on the range, and bu their fourth shoot they had shot a 25 point group (size of a 5p piece).

With them being a total novice, they had no bad habits to break, and followed my coaching to the letter.

Went away with a massive grin, and a reccomendation to try out for the shooting team.

19 minutes ago, John_W said:

Running weekend training for the Cadets. 

Had a young lady, new recruit, never fired a weapon in her life.

So, spent the morning teaching her the correct operation of the BSA Scorpion Air Rifle followed by principles of marksmanship.

Very switched on cadet, took them on the range, and bu their fourth shoot they had shot a 25 point group (size of a 5p piece).

With them being a total novice, they had no bad habits to break, and followed my coaching to the letter.

Went away with a massive grin, and a reccomendation to try out for the shooting team.

Superb John well done on your coaching and well done to the young lady. The best snipers are women by far. Keep up the good work 

Si

Went for a walk around the local nature reserve yesterday. There’s a lovely, little memorial garden tucked away, which looks beautiful at this time of year. As we were sitting down, just relaxing in the afternoon heat, we saw large numbers of butterflies nectaring on the hemp agrimony. There were at least eight different species there, most of which were peacocks, red admirals and gatekeepers. 
In all, it has been a pretty disastrous year for butterflies, so it was heartening to see so many in such a small area.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

The X Factor's finished,one down several more to go....

Well good for every one.

I once watched a third of one programme.

I could not contain my enthusiasm. So excited that I have never watched it again.

So loved that chap on it Simon Jowl.

Laurie

• Like 5

On 25/07/2021 at 22:47, lasermonkey said:

In all, it has been a pretty disastrous year for butterflies, so it was heartening to see so many in such a small area.

I always try to plant "bee and butterfly friendly" plants. Yesterday there were a good half dozen Butterflies in the garden, mostly Common Brown and a few Small White. Did get a lovely Peacock butterfly passing through. 

Hoping to overhall the old pond this year as we regularly get frogs and newts. Used to get Dragonflies but not for a few years now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

thought of to day this morning
on my bed as the day was dawning

I could not stop yawning
But, awake mmm no snoring

Then realized it may be boring
So, got back into bed, ,just appalling.

Poet Laureate of St Helier

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see....

I found out I'll be made redundant at my current job, I have a couple of job interviews in the coming weeks. Both situations have increased my happiness.  Normally I wouldn't be happy about the redundancy, but the unemployment rate the the Czech Republic is low right now and there's plenty of jobs being advertised.

There are three airshow type events coming up in September. Two  I know I can get to for certain and the other I'm still looking into.

I finally got in to see a physiotherapist about a shoulder that's been playing up for a while now.

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 1

I've just returned from a truly astonishing walk in the woods on a still morning after a rainy night. We listened, my dog, and I to the droplets falling from the leaves. It was like background radiation, a fairly steady susurration, but from time to time a droplet falling from a high tree would trigger a chain reaction and a cascade would fall through the branches with a tiny roar. My dog thought it was squirrels, and perhaps it was. Then after half an hour of this wonderful noise which surely hasn't changed since leaves first began millions of years ago, a breeze rippled up the valley and thousands of gallons of water fell on me! Fortunately I wasn't wearing a coat so I was able to enjoy the thrill of the cold water to the utmost. How I did laugh! That noise (and the smells, Tess reminds me), yes the smells, the temperature, the moistness and texture of the forests will continue for another aeon or two, mostly with nobody listening. After that experience, I stopped worrying about the harnesses on those ejection seats and should I re-do them to make them more 'correct'. Instead I'll just be delighted that I can still be creative at all.

I can, when I get my priorities in order, enjoy this hobby of ours with so much joy that I forget to eat and drink and hours go by unnoticed. It's better for me not to take any notice of other people's priorities, lest my own perfectionism rear its terrified head again. I say 'terrified' quite deliberately because it's often fear that creates perfectionism; growing up with a controlling and frightening parent who insists that there is only one way to do things - theirs! Then follows a lifetime of trying to achieve the impossible to please a dead parent, and always failing because 'nobody's perfect'. What a horrid trap to fall into. Well, I'm good enough. And so, I was reminded this morning, is the world, and my ejection seats.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Going to the pub for a pint for the first time in 18 months! 

p?i=f76696dba086870dc4b15d65e6376d21

Regards,

Steve

That looks very inviting Steve and its nice to see it's Ale and not Lager, what is it? I hope that you throughly enjoy every last drop and more.

All the best 

Si

another Ale drinker👍👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Dyer said:

That looks very inviting Steve and its nice to see it's Ale and not Lager, what is it? I hope that you throughly enjoy every last drop and more.

All the best 

Si

another Ale drinker👍👌

Aye up Si,

Ale all the way for me, or as mrs fatfingers calls it - mucky beer. That one was Doombar and at around 4% it was a nice one to ease me back in. By the end of the night though i was on Theakston Old Peculiar at 5.6%! Suffice to say my head has been feeling a little thick today! 😀

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Si,

Ale all the way for me, or as mrs fatfingers calls it - mucky beer. That one was Doombar and at around 4% it was a nice one to ease me back in. By the end of the night though i was on Theakston Old Peculiar at 5.6%! Suffice to say my head has been feeling a little thick today! 😀

Regards,

Steve

Wey hey Steve 

Two of my favourites especially Doombar. Theakstons is also very nice, unfortunately my local Tesco only does them in cans which is to me not quite the same.

Hope the thick head has recovered and back to modelling.

Take care fellow ale drinker and modeller 👍👍👌

Si

• Like 1

Sitting down to a little bit of modelling for the first time since last November, as I've been working away and have had very little time at home...and that has generally been spent catching up with the domestic jobs. I'm still working away, but I'll try to keep chipping away. 

20210824_151741

Nothing too dramatic or adventurous, just some small steps on a 1/72 Blue Rider Nieuport Nighthawk vacform. The interior isn't to my usual self-imposed standard, but I've decided not to use up my limited time obsessing and to just get on with it. It could take a while, but that's nothing new for me!

Jon

• Like 2

Happy I do not live in Afghanistan.

But unhappy in the extreme for those who have to.

Especially for children some left with out mother & fathers.

Laurie

This is non political just a humanitarian agony.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

Sitting down to a little bit of modelling for the first time since last November, as I've been working away and have had very little time at home...and that has generally been spent catching up with the domestic jobs. I'm still working away, but I'll try to keep chipping away. 

20210824_151741

Nothing too dramatic or adventurous, just some small steps on a 1/72 Blue Rider Nieuport Nighthawk vacform. The interior isn't to my usual self-imposed standard, but I've decided not to use up my limited time obsessing and to just get on with it. It could take a while, but that's nothing new for me!

Jon

Coming along nicely look forward to the end product 👍

38 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Happy I do not live in Afghanistan.

But unhappy in the extreme for those who have to.

Especially for children some left with out mother & fathers.

Laurie

This is non political just a humanitarian agony.

Totally understand Mr Laurie 👍👍👍

On 8/22/2021 at 7:13 PM, Simon Dyer said:

All the best 

Si

another Ale drinker👍👌

Many many years ago when in the RAF at Wittering a friend took us out to a "pub" in one of the tiny villages in the area. I say a pub but it was in reality just a cottage, the front room was the public area, and the bar was a hinged piece of wood that folded down across the kitchen doorway. They brewed all their own beer on the premises, and it was served out of jugs into your glass by  a real little old lady who was all of four foot tall.

I went to the bar ordered a pint of mild and asked my friend (a 6 ft tall London Lad) what he was having. "A Pint of Lager," he said to our little old lady.

She looked up at him and beconed him closer with her finger, and he had to stoop down quite a bit to get to her level. She then smiled and whispered to him:

"We don't sell Pop here sonny"!

Selwyn

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Many many years ago when in the RAF at Wittering a friend took us out to a "pub" in one of the tiny villages in the area. I say a pub but it was in reality just a cottage, the front room was the public area, and the bar was a hinged piece of wood that folded down across the kitchen doorway. They brewed all their own beer on the premises, and it was served out of jugs into your glass by  a real little old lady who was all of four foot tall.

I went to the bar ordered a pint of mild and asked my friend (a 6 ft tall London Lad) what he was having. "A Pint of Lager," he said to our little old lady.

She looked up at him and beconed him closer with her finger, and he had to stoop down quite a bit to get to her level. She then smiled and whispered to him:

"We don't sell Pop here sonny"!

Selwyn

Ha ha. Remember when they had Brown Ale. All the sprogs started on that easy to drink.

The Witterings. bought a boat in Chichester harbour some years ago. While waiting for a few repairs went down to the West Wittering.

Lovely places. One way you go in in no time come out the other side.

From memory I believe there is a bird sanctuary there abouts. Nice memory Selwyn.

Laurie

5 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

What makes me happy you ask?

Being on leave for the next 16 days.... THAT makes me very happy! 😀

Regards,

Steve

OK Steve spill the beans what is the schedule ?

Laurie of Jersey