How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

It's been a couple of busy months, so time to take a minute to see what there is to be happy about....

NJXvbAx.jpg

Earlier this week, I had my first pint of draft outside in the sun in months. This park is just down the street from our new flat and there's a little cafe in the middle of it. I got my beer and went up to a terrace above the cafe to take in the goings on. A bunch of older ladies doing tai chi, every now and a again younger ladies jogging through the park... It was really refreshing to just see people out and enjoying themselves.

I suppose that brings me to the next point of happiness, the new flat. We moved a across town a couple of months ago and it's a welcome change to where we were before and there's lots of nice walking areas around.

In easy walking distance is the smaller of the city's two airports, so I can get my aviation fix with no issues. It's primarily a glider airport, so a very different atmosphere that the city's main airport.  I have to say, that the quieter, more relaxed atmosphere of the smaller airport is really helpful to clearing my mind of the frustrations from work. The airport is also surrounded by a lot of walking and cycling trails around it and has a small restaurant, so it's another place where people are enjoying themselves.

Work has been a rough go the last few months. Home office definitely does not agree with me, but I put together a new computer desk yesterday, so I won't be improvising with the kitchen table anymore when I work.

Given the difficulties at work, I'm glad I have a good therapist to talk to.  

Tonight, I'll be having an online beer with a couple of friends from my teaching days. In normal times, we'd usually get together in a pub every month or so to catch up, so I'm very glad to have friends like that who won't let the current situation be an obstacle to simple pleasures.

• Like 5

Just lying in bed on a morning. Window open listening to the sparrows. they visit us as Pauline puts out bread on the flat balcony.

Love the chirp chirp.

I then lay there thinking of the nice things in the past. Then, looking at the clock, think should i stay here for another 15mins. The answer is normally, with massive guilt, yes.

It is the thought of fresh coffee & toast with coarse marmalade.

Toast thing normally wins.

Laurie

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, John_W said:

I had a haircut this morning. 

Chatting to the barber, he said they normally empty the hair bin every two days, but have been emptying it twice a day.

I went yesterday. So much hair on the floor. And that was just me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes I had a haircut about 4 weeks ago. Jersey as normal ahead of UK. Only 4 cases in 110,000 & one was a UK sabotage case bringing Covid in through air travel. But we caught the criminal. All travelers isolate & tested.

Problem 6 months of growth. But after cutting found that some of my 82 year old silvered hair had emigrated. Head now cold so will grow hair longer to compensate for emigrated types.

Laurie

12 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Had my ears lowered yesterday. Damn, I have to wash my neck again now.

Going to call you Benty.

Suggest just let you hair grow long no need for washing then.. Bit of Brillcream will clot the hair & make things invisible.

Got that tip from Dennis Compton.

Laurie

We've had a few nice days in a row, which resulted in a couple of nice walks around the local countryside. While Bedfordshire's wildlife is on the lean side (few trees and meaningful wild spaces), we did see some butterflies (peacock, comma, brimstone, small white and small tortoiseshell) and a good show from the local raptors. Yesterday we had four red kites wheeling low overhead, calling to each other, watched carefully by a pair of buzzards. The day before we had the two pairs of kites, the buzzards and a sparrowhawk all within view at the same time.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

We've had a few nice days in a row, which resulted in a couple of nice walks around the local countryside. While Bedfordshire's wildlife is on the lean side (few trees and meaningful wild spaces), we did see some butterflies (peacock, comma, brimstone, small white and small tortoiseshell) and a good show from the local raptors. Yesterday we had four red kites wheeling low overhead, calling to each other, watched carefully by a pair of buzzards. The day before we had the two pairs of kites, the buzzards and a sparrowhawk all within view at the same time.

Very nice. What river do you row on 🤣

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Sounds as though you could start a wildlife photography thread....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Sounds as though you could start a wildlife photography thread....

Sadly, I don’t have a powerful enough lens for anything but reasonably close work. I can’t see that changing any time soon, as the prices are just too prohibitive for me.

• Sad 1

Our walking group is back up and running and so a nice walk on Monday and chance to catch up. I was back marker for the first time and have  been given a high viz tabard with the 'Walking for Health' logo. Best thing was that the walk leader had arranged for one of the boats that acts as a takeaway cafe to be open and so any benefit from the walk was a little bit lost. Well worth a visit at w/e if you are in striking distance of Stanley Ferry with some nice walks in the area. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Sadly, I don’t have a powerful enough lens for anything but reasonably close work. I can’t see that changing any time soon, as the prices are just too prohibitive for me.

Lazer I bought both my Olympus second hand on Ebay. They are I suppose 15 20 years old but they are beauties. Age in an SLR does not mean much. They just add new things on new cameras which nobody uses but looks good.

There are anumber of camera shops who put trade ins on Ebay. Good qaulity to preserve their reputation.

Laurie

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Lazer I bought both my Olympus second hand on Ebay. They are I suppose 15 20 years old but they are beauties. Age in an SLR does not mean much. They just add new things on new cameras which nobody uses but looks good.

There are anumber of camera shops who put trade ins on Ebay. Good qaulity to preserve their reputation.

Laurie

Apologies I though camera & you arre thinking les. But all still applies.

Laurie

We

On 4/15/2021 at 12:17 PM, Bullbasket said:

Then tell them to slow down:giggle:

John.

Well given that our oldest walker is 84 and our youngest is 65, I can keep up and we are a surprisingly sprightly lot

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr T said:

We

Well given that our oldest walker is 84 and our youngest is 65, I can keep up and we are a surprisingly sprightly lot

Oh my God does that make me happy some body older than me, now 82.5 on this forum.

Sprightly lot huh. From flat 59 steps down to reception. Dead easy at the gallop.

Up 😒😟🤔 still 59 steps. I do 30 steps up. Then barge into the lift lobby & take the lift the rest of the way.

I do not put this down to cheating it is a way of preserving my bdy for getting to 83 🤣😂😅

Laurie

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

In eight months time.

Well the way things are progressing here Mick you could be right for both hemispheres.

13degrees to day 3 degrees to night. Jersey surrounded by sea should be much higher. One day & we are in May.

My shorts are withering disintegrating my body is cold & the frost bight on my toes has to be cleared every morning.

Switched off the fridge & deepfreeze so cold food will not thaw. We are desperate. 🤣

Even the Aussie wine has returned itself down south to cold.

Laurie

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Well the way things are progressing here Mick you could be right for both hemispheres.

13degrees to day 3 degrees to night. Jersey surrounded by sea should be much higher. One day & we are in May.

My shorts are withering disintegrating my body is cold & the frost bight on my toes has to be cleared every morning.

Switched off the fridge & deepfreeze so cold food will not thaw. We are desperate. 🤣

Even the Aussie wine has returned itself down south to cold.

Laurie

You've been buying your energy off the French again, haven't you? :whistle:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

You've been buying your energy off the French again, haven't you? :whistle:

But we are sending it back it is not hot enough. In fact it is "du froid". They are just sending over there left overs mostly gone off. Not good enough. Something to do with that chap in charge Macaroni.

Laurie

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I have an appointment with my barber for next Monday at 15.00 to get my hair cut.

Just safety check you are not bald before setting out on your mission.

Edited by LaurieS