How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

Having been pushed for weeks by my wife, we got to the front door of the Dumelm Mills store in Lincoln last week only to be refused entry, click and collect only at the moment.

I was that happy I have offered to go again this week.

• Haha 3

In the news a week or so back just remembered.

Teenager in a supermarket. Got to check out only to find that his cash was no good only cards accepted. So he was upset.

However. A policeman, off duty, was second back in the checkout queue. Saw the predicament of the young lad.

Pushed to the front placed his card on the reader & paid the lads goods. The lad true to himself offered the policeman his cash.

Policemen said no that is OK.

That is nice is it not. Plus the teenager will never forget that kindness.

Laurie

• Like 10

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

cash was no good only cards accepted.

i've always used cash until the lockdowns started and it's only a matter of time before it becomes the norm just like banks closing all but a main branch...Forget the loyal customers/disabled just save as much money as possible,i can still get cash from cashpoints but how are you supposed to pay money in...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

i've always used cash until the lockdowns started and it's only a matter of time before it becomes the norm just like banks closing all but a main branch...Forget the loyal customers/disabled just save as much money as possible,i can still get cash from cashpoints but how are you supposed to pay money in...

My daughters pay cheques in from their mobiles. Takes a picture of the cheque. Straight in. Actually I cannot remember receiving a check in years. All is now done on line pay & receive.

Mind you most seems to be pay.

Laurie

There's a few bills i get and i pay by cheque because i know how much it annoys them but others are done online...My knees are knackered and i walk with a crutch,my bank decided to close the last two branches at the beginning of Jan (St Sampsons was the best and in the middle of a shopping centre so why close it when shops need to pay money in)...

Happy birthday to her Laurie. I'm in a similar boat. My wife is 10 hours older than me, and she absolutely hates it when I tell people that I am her toyboy!!

John.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LaurieS said:

In the news a week or so back just remembered.

Teenager in a supermarket. Got to check out only to find that his cash was no good only cards accepted. So he was upset.

However. A policeman, off duty, was second back in the checkout queue. Saw the predicament of the young lad.

Pushed to the front placed his card on the reader & paid the lads goods. The lad true to himself offered the policeman his cash.

Policemen said no that is OK.

That is nice is it not. Plus the teenager will never forget that kindness.

Laurie

With all the negativity against law enforcement,it's nice to see a positive story

Thanks for sharing

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Happy birthday to her Laurie. I'm in a similar boat. My wife is 10 hours older than me, and she absolutely hates it when I tell people that I am her toyboy!!

John.

10 hours John. Wow I am lucky 7 months of reminders about her age just love it.

Thank you I will pass on your message but only after "she has cooked the dinner". 🤣

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tojo72 said:

Also wife and I got our first shot,no biggie.Folks say 2nd might have more effect,but still looking forward.

Yes Pauline & I have had two shots "each" .Eldest daughter, district nurse, two shots. Youngest daughter & eldest son one each.

Fabulous. Going for afternoon tea to eldest daughter's Sunday. Our world is taking off as we will see 2 of our grandsons missing for a long time. 😊

Laurie

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Just eaten a virgin whole kit kat.

Laurie

I stopped reading after the first 5 words and began to wonder if there was a whole darker side to the Channel Islands that Bergerac never even hinted at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

I stopped reading after the first 5 words and began to wonder if there was a whole darker side to the Channel Islands that Bergerac never even hinted at.

That's Jersey mate and not a thing to do with the rest of us...

• Haha 3

Just now, Vince1159 said:

That's Jersey mate and not a thing to do with the rest of us...

Ah, you're telling me wholesale consumption of virgins is rife throughout the Channel Islands except in Jersey?

• Haha 3

Happy moment No.1:

Sitting outside in the bright sun with my lunch, feeling the heat on my skin (more than 20°C today).

Happy moment No.2:

While taking a coffee from the kitchen at work I watched the fledgling buzzards playing around with the thermal lift. We are on the 10th floor, and the couple and their siblings seems to feel quite well here at the airport now that there is not much traffic. Practising gliding today I must have watched them for 10 min or more...such elegant creatures.

• Like 4

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
Cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Ah, you're telling me wholesale consumption of virgins is rife throughout the Channel Islands except in Jersey?

Hmmm. I went on honeymoon to Jersey. That might explain a few things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Jersey daffodils (Dafs) are bowing their heads & saying good bye but this will always be there.

Try repeating these words with feelings space them out. It is very theraputic.

I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud

By William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the milky way,

They stretched in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:

A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:

I gazed—and gazed—but little thought

What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.

Edited by LaurieS

The Mrs and I went for a lovely walk this afternoon. The weather was absolutely glorious. I don’t remember such a hot March day.

There were lots of butterflies, but just brimstones and peacocks. I was hoping for my first comma of the year, but it wasn’t to be. The highlight was watching a pair of red kites courting. The male had been practicing his food pass techniques before the female arrived. I had witnessed this with marsh harriers, but never red kites until today.

• Like 4