How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

Speding a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon cleaning the car. Looked all clean and sparkly until i got bsck from taking mrs fatfingers to work this morning and then thinking why did i even bother cleaning it in the first place! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Speding a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon cleaning the car. Looked all clean and sparkly until i got bsck from taking mrs fatfingers to work this morning and then thinking why did i even bother cleaning it in the first place! 

Regards,

Steve

Good thinking Steve 🤣

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Regards,

Steve

Steve, if you are in the same situation as me, ie; you live in a rural area, then cleaning the car is ALWAYS a waste of time. Farmers seem to think that is their civic duty to coat the tarmac in 2" of thick mud. The only time that mud isn't a problem is in the summer when it's dry. Then the cars get coated in a layer of dust.

John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Steve, if you are in the same situation as me, ie; you live in a rural area, then cleaning the car is ALWAYS a waste of time. Farmers seem to think that is their civic duty to coat the tarmac in 2" of thick mud. The only time that mud isn't a problem is in the summer when it's dry. Then the cars get coated in a layer of dust.

John.

Afternoon John 

Would love to live rural but i'm a city dweller (Leeds) Its all the dust from the road works on Elland Road next to the footy ground. Its the route i go to take the boss to work on a morning. Saying that Leeds is a total mass of road works at the minute as the council are obsessed with putting cycle lanes everywhere! But thats a subject for another thread...  🤨

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I thought this was a What makes you happy thread.  There's already a grumpy thread so lets not descend into another misery-loaded thread here please.

Some people are only happy when they are moaning 😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I thought this was a What makes you happy thread.  There's already a grumpy thread so lets not descend into another misery-loaded thread here please.

Yes but, but, but, I love grumpy threads they make me happy. My wife has to have grump at times & I just take the "mick" which makes her un-grumpy.

For myself I like at times to be grumpy as I know that I will soon be un-grummpy & happy.

I am reasonably certain that grumpiness is English. It is where sarcasm came from. Shakspeare used it with great sucess. So did Winston Churchill.

How about this one..

When accused by a lady, there is some discussion which lady that could be (I think it was probably Bessie Bradock) being 'disgustingly drunk' the Conservative Prime Minister responded: 'My dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.'

Thinking about it it is stretching sarcasm a bit.

However I thought & still do when I read find it very funny. Loved to have been there when Winston uttered the words. So he was having a laugh at her being grumpy.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

I am reasonably certain that grumpiness is English. It is where sarcasm came from. Shakspeare used it with great sucess. So did Winston Churchill.

How about this one..

When accused by a lady, there is some discussion which lady that could be (I think it was probably Bessie Bradock) being 'disgustingly drunk' the Conservative Prime Minister responded: 'My dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly

Laurie

I am reminded of the story of Churchill in his last years in Parliament. A new intake of newly elected MPs were being given the introductory tour around the Houses of Parliament when a very elderly Churchill shuffled along the corridor. When a respectful audience somewhat in awe watched him off up the corridor their guide said in a quiet voice “Shame. The Old Boys quite ga ga you know”. At that Churchill turned from the top of the corridor and with a twinkle in his eye said “Yes indeed. And they say he is quite deaf as well”

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

After not being able to charge the battery since August due to a fire risk from contamination, my Ford Kuga (one of 27,000 affected) was in for it's battery change  today. Got it back cleaned, fully charged and with the fuel tank filled up (was half full) on top of the £500 fuel card we have already had, we are going to be getting a discount on a charging station (over and above the Government Grant) been a bit of a wait, but glad to have it sorted at last.

• Like 2

Playing lower grade cricket at the moment, but getting to play with some kids that I'd coached as 4-8 year olds, now 14-16 year olds and watching them chase down 180 in a one day game without me having to bat, against a side that was all adults. Was great to watch and to see the kids get some real confidence that they could indeed win games under pressure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brad said:

Playing lower grade cricket at the moment, but getting to play with some kids that I'd coached as 4-8 year olds, now 14-16 year olds and watching them chase down 180 in a one day game without me having to bat, against a side that was all adults. Was great to watch and to see the kids get some real confidence that they could indeed win games under pressure.

Yes just love now how young ones are treated more as equal rather than seen & not to be heard as in my days.

All of our 4 children had freedom, with respect, to say what they wanted express their opinions. 4 grandosns also have the same freedom..

Very funny. Last time all of the family, 14 of us, were together one of our grandsons collared his grandmother, my wife, & questioned her about religion. Was she in that zone. He was about 15 at that time. Even funnier his mother, our youngest daughter, & her husband were in the kitchen falling about laughing.

Another. Eldest son mad on sport. I used to go to the school footbal matches with camera. As soon as he saw me on one touchline he changed position to the other touch line.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, John_W said:

Went on the Sutton's website and ordered my veg seeds and seed potatoes this afternoon.

Well John our Jersey Royal spuds are already poking their whiskers out of the plastic covering. Cannot wait for the first of the crop. No skins just a wash boil butter & a sprinkle of salt.

Eat them by them selves superb. The smell is quite something.

Laurie

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, John_W said:

Went on the Sutton's website and ordered my veg seeds and seed potatoes this afternoon.

John in Jersey they use a plastic sheeting with perforations. Keeps in the heat stops water migration & also lets through rain. Gives a better earlier crop.

Laurie

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Or Autumn, cooler weather at last.

Mick just send some of that warmer stuff up here. At the moment 7.2C degrees in Jersey. Tonight 4 degrees C.

Even wearing long johns in bed. Socks.

Plus my wife leaves food out for the sparrows on our balcony to the flat. Problem seagulls keep arriving to join the party. They make a hell of a din. Have to get out of bed chase them off. Then warm up to avoid frost bite. Think I will rig a bell with a piece of string connected to my big toe.

Laurie

3 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Mick just send some of that warmer stuff up here. At the moment 7.2C degrees in Jersey. Tonight 4 degrees C.

It's currently 20° outside, but feels like 21° (2am).

Chasing off four lads on quad bikes single- handedly and getting away with it.

They were churning up our local wildlife meadow. I was absolutely incensed and just reacted. I hadn’t planned as to what I might have done should they stand their ground, but I guess I look scarier than I thought!

I probably ought to learn to think before I act, though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

They were churning up our local wildlife meadow. I was absolutely incensed and just reacted. I hadn’t planned as to what I might have done should they stand their ground, but I guess I look scarier than I thought!

Well done but as you yourself realise, your lucky to get away without getting a good shoeing.

5 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Well done Laseermonkey (got a name please !).

Got to stand up for what is right. Definetly. Courage to do it & determination to see it is done. If you do not all continues & gets worse..

I hadn’t planned as to what I might have done should they stand their ground, but I guess I look scarier than I thought!

Keep walking forward & up to them. They will not like that as it shows your agressive determination. Walk right up & stare them in the face. Stop or walk away they will consider weakness.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

For the last couple of months I've been 'helping' with the UK National Survey about Covid 19. All I have to do is to take a Covid test and answer a load of questions once a week. Absolutely nae prob.

As a thank-you they've given me a load of money vouchers, one for each week. So far I've accumulated £175 worth!

Thats the good news. Bad news is there are only a limited number of places I can spend them with. No model shops on the list.

But did you know that Amazon has a 'Model Shop' section?

Oddly I can buy Airfix kits but not Revell. Revell are noted that it can't be shipped to my location ie N.I.

I've offered to share my bonus with No.1 dottir and No.1 son but both seem very reluctant to spend the vouchers with me. 

• Like 3

Cooking with my wife. We are both 82 so only fair that I help to divide the work load.

Have to admit , though relativley recent, I am enjoying preparing & cooking meals.

So Pauline says "what are we having to night". So a quick thought lots of fresh vegetables in the fridge.

Swede, carrot, celery, potatoe,  leak, red onion lentils chillie (blimey she put in a whole one) stock cubes cualiflower.

Oh yes & 4 rashers of streaky bacon languishing in the fridge.

Cut all into nice cubes. Wow some aroma. Handed lot over to Pauline who has taken charge of the most important bit cooking.

Again wow what an aroma.

So to night a large bowl of this with some nice Hovis bread & butter (actually Flora).

Watch out for a further bulletin on this matter.

Should have had a poll of how many are jealous 🤣

Actually we chatted during all this. We both had experience during WW11 years.

Both our father grew vegetables & mothers made the broth. Wow WW11 threw up some nice things

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

Spending a few minutes away from my work computer by watching 2 Robins flitting about in the back garden. Looks like they're building a nest in next doors connifer hedge.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4