How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Having an article published in a well known armour modelling magazine, and then receiving the payment, and realising that if Telford is on this year, most of my spends will be taken care of.:yahoo:

John.

Is it distributed internationally ?

Seeing Captain Tom get his Knighthood yesterday and the interview with him on the BBC this morning. He made the female presenter blush! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

I'll pop down the newsagent tomorrow and see if they've got a copy,do you know when it's on sale John....

It's a back issue now Vince, as it's the February issue. Due to Covid19, I've only just received payment.

John.

• Thanks 1

I got my hair cut today !

It was needing cut back in March and I had set aside Wednesday 25th March to get to my barber - but of course he was made to close on the Monday previous.

He was allowed to open on Monday 6th but he was fully booked up and I only got an appointment for this morning.

• Like 3

The prospect of five weeks off work, finally being able to get away for a few days with the mrs and some quality time on mountains that have been strangers for too long.

Plus a bit of mucking about with little plastic planes.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 3

A strange but happy tale.

Apart from my son, I am the last survivor of the paternal side of my family. I have 2 first cousins - sisters, both in their eighties. One, widowed at an early age has an adopted son. The other has 3 children and 8 or 9 grandchildren. (They all live in Cumbria, where my parents were born.) This cousin, her youngest daughter and 2 grandsons have been tracing the family tree for many years. It's been difficult, as there was little information, save for the fact that 3/4 of my family's forbears are Scottish, therefore records are more plentiful.

Having come up against a brick wall, the grandsons sent off a DNA sample. Yes, it proved quite a bit of what they had discovered - however, over the past week, they had contact from someone who claimed to be descended through the MacKintosh clan, and was a DNA match! My paternal grandmother was a MacKintosh as we knew, but she had a shady past which we didn't. My father was the younger of 2 brothers with 13 years between them, and Granny was 3 months pregnant when she married my Grandad. (more of this later) but the contactee discovered that her grandfather was a 3rd (and older) brother who granny left with her sister. No fathers name on the birth cert.  He ran away at age 11 and joined the circus (yes, really) and disappeared of the radar/records. He had a son, who in turn had a daughter (the contactee) who had done years of research and came up with the same blank until the DNA match.

I said Granny was pregnant - yes, but not by my Grandad. So she had 3 sons all by different fathers, and only one correctly recorded. I had a call from my elder cousin on Monday to tell me this. She did know her father was born 6 months after the wedding, but that was all. Granny had confided in my mother late in life that the family name should be ********, but he did a runner, and my Grandad married her in full knowledge, and brought up my uncle as his own. This was swept under the carpet, as things were 100 years ago. My cousins discovered on Monday what their surname should have been, and I discovered I have another first cousin. What is more, she lives about 5 miles from me as the crow flies. I have yet to speak to her, but there are going to be some very interesting discussions when the extended family get together.

• Like 5

Something happened which made my day today and in fact ranks as a top highlight of my modelling 'career'.

I've been helping out at one of my local animal shelter charity stores for a while now and decided to donate a few of my models to them in the hope that they may raise a few pennies. I don't sell my finished articles nor am I a member of a club so any kind of feedback is always appreciated because it's rare! Anyway, today I was approached by a mum who told me her 8 year old son's birthday is coming up and he'd spotted the Rafale I'd donated a few days back and that it's 'all he has put on his birthday list'. So, I'm happy that my work was appreciated and also happy that I may have possibly inspired a youngster to hopefully take up the hobby soon!

BTW this is the one his mum has got him.

😊

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 7

Spending time with my dad building lego! He's a real lego nut and it was his 82nd birthday last week. We all chipped in and bought him the Lego Hogwarts, which has over 6000 pieces. Was great to spend some quality time with him doing a few stages. Was just like being a nipper again, except this time i was 'advising' him of the best way to do it! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen on the Channel TV news film from the Jersey Battle of Flowers in the 70's,Sid James/Des O'Conner and a low flying Seaking with paper flowers being thrown out,they were good day's....

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Sometimes a news item just like this one that counterbalances all the bad news stuff you get

Lovely, except the part where he's holding the grubs in his lips. Nah!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just started a new job and noticed my assistant had a picture of the SS Politician on her desk.

I asked her about it, knowing a bit of the history, and spent an interesting ten minutes chatting with her about how her late father was the first islander on board the ship after she foundered, and they still have two bottles of whisky from the ship and various other mementos from the wreck.

• Like 3

Two weeks ago I handed in what is hopefully my final OU assignment, that made me very happy.

Today, I graduated from Couch to 5k, I'm now officially a runner (providing I keep it up - which I will)!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not getting spam.

For at least the past 8 weeks I've been getting, on average, 25 to 30 spam messages, per day (!)

They have been for inviting me to take up gambling or dealing in that pretend coin stuff. The odd one was about a court charge for speeding/using a car (which I currently do not have) or my paypal account has been frozen, or my TV licence fee payment has failed (I haven't bought a TV licence for about 17 years)

But,

I think they've given up.

I've been spam free for three days now

I think I'll have a beer

• Like 3

On 02/11/2020 at 07:15, Black Knight said:

Not getting spam.

For at least the past 8 weeks I've been getting, on average, 25 to 30 spam messages, per day (!)

They have been for inviting me to take up gambling or dealing in that pretend coin stuff. The odd one was about a court charge for speeding/using a car (which I currently do not have) or my paypal account has been frozen, or my TV licence fee payment has failed (I haven't bought a TV licence for about 17 years)

But,

I think they've given up.

I've been spam free for three days now

I think I'll have a beer

aw, they've gon'd and ruiney'd it

I just got a spam for some bits of coins. 

I only collect whole coins, to spend

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Being able to come on here are read about and discuss plastic modelling.

Just modelling and a few other light-hearted topics

I'm on a forum for leather workers and right now a few members are blasting off political and other controversial things. Its mostly permitted but its just really a bit too much the way they're going on today and the last few days.

• Like 2

I decided to rebottle my demi-johns of mead. In amongst the big bottles was a pot covered in a tea cloth. :shrug:

On further inspection I found its a rumtopf,  :yahoo:

I don't remember laying one down this year so it might be from last year :hmmm:

I'm looking forward to trying it on December 5th  :tasty:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I decided to rebottle my demi-johns of mead. In amongst the big bottles was a pot covered in a tea cloth. :shrug:

On further inspection I found its a rumtopf,  :yahoo:

I don't remember laying one down this year so it might be from last year :hmmm:

I'm looking forward to trying it on December 5th  :tasty:

Not sure what type of NIGHT it will turn out to be. But as the topic says I am sure you will make you, Black Night happy .

Laurire