How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

• 4 weeks later...

Just had 30 minutes chatting with my Grandson, who I haven't seen nor spoken to since last November, on Zoom. Absolutely brilliant. He was showing me all the kits that he's built during the lockdown. We're now going to make it a regular Saturday morning session. Wonderful!

John.

• Like 6

Having a decent sized garden has been a blessing during lockdown, the things giving me joy are the lilac blossom, the apple tree that three weeks ago had written off as dead suddenly breaking into leaf and now starting to blossom.  The bright, fresh green on the beech leaves are a delight too.

Our seedlings and cuttings are doing well, finger's crossed for a bumper crop of tomatoes, chillies, peppers, spring onions, celery and herbs.  Our first tomatoes are on their way in the greenhouse and we ate our first strawberry on Wednesday, I don't think we've ever had a crop in April before.

It's been an oasis of calm and serenity, just hearing the birdsong and the buzz of insects as opposed to the usual hubbub of the world has been a tonic.

Glad our local council have resumed garden waste collections, the bin is very full at the moment!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 6

Easing the restrictions here allowed the Grandies to visit (Haven't seen the little beggars since Feb)

Spent the morning under the dooner in my sons room because Miss 3 decided she wanted to make a tent with Poppy.

No sooner had we got settled under there and Miss 3 commented that it was "Nice and cozy Poppy" when Master 2 let out a banshee 

like roar and launched his tiny self on top of us.

Having disrupted the tranquility he then proceeded to shoulder charge everything in the room, such a little boof head!

Man I missed them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Ah, football before the accursed Premiership!!

It wasn't just the footie either also the people they spoke to,Brian Clough/David Coleman/Jimmy Hill and interviews with Billy Bremner and the rest of the Leeds squad...Those were the days,made me want to get my Subbuteo set up....

• Like 2

To be honest, I have been dealing with severe depression for a looong time now. To have a friend to text you completely out of the blue and say they are lucky to be your friend lifted me to above cloud nine. Completely made my day. Whatever problems you have, just know you have people that care.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, John_W said:

Finding an old photo of myself from 1973. Anyone care to guess the Airfield?

2020-05-25_03-21-19

Leuchars?

If its the one I think it is was she not sent to New Zealand for restoration to flying?

• Like 1

Our public library opened its doors after nearly two months shut due to the covid-19 pandemic. Not able to browse, but at least we can return books and borrow reservations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time with my cats (and I always thought I was a dog person! go figure). Visiting Britmodeler; yes, I do thoroughly enjoy it. Model building, even when it's difficult because the finished product usually looks a lot better than the rough looking thing I was working on before and during paint and decals. Time alone where my thoughts are mine and there's no one to criticize. Really good food, even if it's expensive. Watching airplanes fly. Caring friends and family members.

• Like 2

Watching the highlights of the England v West Indies 1984 Lords Test Match on BBC2 (spoiler alert: England didn't win) with my father whilst eating fish and chips brought from the newly reopened and now "Covid Safe" local Chip Shop out of the paper and enjoying a bottle of ale produced by the local craft brewery.  

Then having the opportunity to watch a very healthy rural fox, probably one of last year's cubs, confidently foraging at the end of the garden.

Simple pleasures !

• Like 1

Had my weekly chat with my 8 year old Grandson yesterday, and he got a mild admonishing from his Mum because he was dropping not so subtle hints that he would really like a train set for Christmas. He knows, as does his Mum, that he can twist Grandad around his little finger, but he wasn't getting any joy out of me this time. Mainly because, tucked away in their loft is the Hornby set of the Flying Scotsman, which we bought for him about three years ago (it was on offer; 33% off). He'll love it as he's been on a train hauled by the famous loco. I just wish that I could see his face when he opens it.

John.

• Like 5

On 5/26/2020 at 4:07 AM, JohnT said:

If its the one I think it is was she not sent to New Zealand for restoration to flying?

Correct.

She is on the final stages of rebuild at Avspecs, Ardmore airfield.

The owner wanted to display her at this year's Oshkosh & there was a huge push to make the deadline... until the Wuhan flu struck. Even Oshkosh is cancelled!

Hopefully some of the links will work...

https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/posts/spitfire-mk-xvi-tb252-update/1181881251845306/

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/spitfire.html

• Like 2

Seeing my daughter in person at a safe and responsible distance for the first time in six months or more.

We were due to go and see her the weekend lockdown came into effect.

Sadly neither me nor the Wonderful Mrs Wez were able to give her a hug but it was but just seeing her will do for now.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interview this morning, job offer this afternoon.

Twelve minute commute...

Only problem is I now have to plan how to open a social distanced Secondary School Library come September 😷

• Like 5

Having an article published in a well known armour modelling magazine, and then receiving the payment, and realising that if Telford is on this year, most of my spends will be taken care of.:yahoo:

John.

• Like 2