How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

6 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi 

Sitting here in canada thinking about sometime in the future ( hopefully a not to distant future ) 

about going in a devon pub ordering for dinner,  a steak n kidney pudding meal accompanied by a pint of cold cider

and a warm pastie for lunch 

cheers

jerry 

You forgot the cream tea! :banghead:

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi 

Sitting here in canada thinking about sometime in the future ( hopefully a not to distant future ) 

about going in a devon pub ordering for dinner,  a steak n kidney pudding meal accompanied by a pint of cold cider

and a warm pastie for lunch 

cheers

jerry 

Also 2 pints of cider is preferable :rofl:or 🥛🥛🥛even.

One before pasty one during eating & one to clean the pallet after.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

Nothing wrong with the humble spud. Looks delicious .

Oh no Mick the Jersey Royal is not a humble spud.  🙄

It is a new potato It is not flowery it has a waxy state which makes it unique.

The taste varies through out the island. We travel about 4 miles to a stretch

on the seashore to bu ours. Others the full length of the Island 9 miles

There the grower, as is traditional, gathers seaweed during the gales in the autumn.

Jersey has one of the greatest movment of tides in the world ( a couple of times

a year 40 feet movement of water) which brings in masses of seaweed.

This is laid on the soil & ploughed in December January. This gives a unique

flavour. Good growers no fertilizer.

Gently brushed to remove just the soil left on from digging. Boiled with a few sprigs

of fresh mint & salted. Best just very slightly underdone.

I cannot describe the taste as it is like no other potato that I have eaten.

Also a protected name, Jersey Royal, in Europe.

Sorry Mick a long way to Aus. or I would ship a bag. Also they just do not grow

the same in other lands.

Here endeth the lesson.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Oh no Mick the Jersey Royal is not a humble spud.  🙄

It is a new potato It is not flowery it has a waxy state which makes it unique.

Gently brushed to remove just the soil left on from digging. Boiled with a few sprigs

of fresh mint & salted. Best just very slightly underdone.

I cannot describe the taste as it is like no other potato that I have eaten.

Laurie, BM's very own member of the Jersey Royal Marketing Board...

Here endeth the lesson.

Thank you sir!

There the grower, as is traditional, gathers seaweed during the gales in the autumn.

Jersey has one of the greatest movment of tides in the world ( a couple of times

a year 40 feet movement of water) which brings in masses of seaweed.

This is laid on the soil & ploughed in December January. This gives a unique

flavour. Good growers no fertilizer.

Strictly speaking, gardeners have long known that seaweed is a natural fertilizer, contains potassium and nitrogen as well as trace elements and has been used as a fertilizer for years, one of its advantages is that you get organic material into your soil too, helps break up clay and keeps it light and friable.

Agreed that seaweed is not an artificial fertilizer.

Also agree that Jersey Royals cooked just the way you describe are delicious!

Edited by Wez
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Laurie, BM's very own member of the Jersey Royal Marketing Board...

Thank you sir!

Strictly speaking, gardeners have long known that seaweed is a natural fertilizer, contains potassium and nitrogen as well as trace elements and has been used as a fertilizer for years, one of its advantages is that you get organic material into your soil too, helps break up clay and keeps it light and friable.

Agreed that seaweed is not an artificial fertilizer.

Also agree that Jersey Royals cooked just the way you describe are delicious!

First we do not have clay in Jersey Wez. But the point missed is the abundance of seaweed

due to the high tides in the late Autumn. It covers the beaches a couple of feet deep (600mm)

Unfortunatly some lazy growers here still resort to non organic fertilizer. This has produced

on the beach sands, where water out lets run off, this horrible green smelly veg growth.

Wez you must visit Jersey & taste these potatoes eaten within a couple of hours of digging.

When On holiday in the UK we have looked in dismay at Jersey Royals. Some washed &

ruined those not washed all the soil has dried & the potato starts to de-hydrate.

In the old days, when we came here in 1962 to live,  the potatoes were shipped that night &

in the markets next day. Now they are kept in chillers until they have a full load.

Some good old day pictures collecting the Vraik (seaweed). http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Vraic

Nowadays tractors & huge trailers are used.

Laurie

A selection.

http://CzEHyV.jpg 4ViKFv.jpg jc13tX.jpg kMjnPm.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Wez you must visit Jersey & taste these potatoes eaten within a couple of hours of digging.

Laurie,

I used to visit the Wonderful Mrs Wez worked there for one of the banks for a few moths before we were married, that was 30 years ago now, but I do remember having fresh Jersey Royals in the restaurants (went really well with Lemon Sole IIRC).

I also recall one of her flatmates getting hideously sunburnt durng the weekend leading up to Liberation Day, we'd all spent the afternoon at Gorey Castle and the beach nearby, she was really surprised that you could get so sunburnt so early in May!

You're right though, we must come back and visit the island again sometime.

3 minutes ago, Wez said:

Laurie,

I used to visit the Wonderful Mrs Wez worked there for one of the banks for a few moths before we were married, that was 30 years ago now, but I do remember having fresh Jersey Royals in the restaurants (went really well with Lemon Sole IIRC).

I also recall one of her flatmates getting hideously sunburnt durng the weekend leading up to Liberation Day, we'd all spent the afternoon at Gorey Castle and the beach nearby, she was really surprised that you could get so sunburnt so early in May!

You're right though, we must come back and visit the island again sometime.

Glad you did not come this May just gone. You would have gone home with windburn & wet clothes.

It is, as I remember, the worst spring in Jersey I can remember.

But to day is a lovely day some clouds with sun & no breeze.

On the 1st we had our 58th wedding anniversary. On that day 58 years ago it was 88degrees in the

shade & not much of that.

Saturated in church the perspiration dripped from my shoulder blades to my hips. I was thin in those days.

I was petrified at 23 years a sprog. But so satisfied that some one loved me so much to spend the rest of

their life with me. Just overwhelmed.

Then Wez we moved to Jersey the to be in land of the Jersey Royal. :rofl:

Laurie

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Wez said:

You forgot the cream tea! :banghead:

Hi

Noooo

Would never forget that,

but I can pretty much source that here in canada 

much harder to try to source the other stuff

I was very happy last night. A lovely dinner just with my wife watching the tennis.

I prepared the meal no cooking. Cheating really. But I am like that 😋

A big china plate. One from our wedding collection of 58 years ago perfect condition

unlike it's owners :rofl:

Half the plate filled with Scottish smoked salmon. An large ripe delicious advocado "each"  🥑😮

Thank goodness they are coming down in price after the crops have survived storms etc.

On each plate 2 large strawberries, 4 green grapes, a kiwi fruit & half a peach. 🍓🥝🍑

The sweetness of the fruit contrast superbly with the acidity of the Salmon.

With that a lemon & olive oil. Complete with slices of Gros Pain neatly buttered by me.   🍋🥖

Very soothing delicious bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc 🥂

Happiness is contentment 😴

Enjoy your day. 😉

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

Now down to earth to day.

I am making (attempting ha ha) a leek & potatoes very chunky (large bits) soup. 

Chatting to a young couple in the apartments lift , I vaguely remember this young bit, & asked

what they where having for dinner. The more attractive half said she was was making a leak &

potatoe soup. Sounds good I replied.

Saw them two days latter & asked how it went. Delicious came the answer. Cooking it Sunday I said.

They laughed do they know about my cooking ?

So leek  potatoe garlic carrot onion remains of a pepper. Accompanied by fresh brown rolls.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

Spending another week in a log cabin, situated in a wildflower meadow, surrounded by hedgerows, in deepest Suffolk. 

Looking out the front window, we have seen kestrels, buzzards, marsh harriers, barn owls, a bittern (!) and earlier today, a short-eared owl. Just walking around the meadow during daylight, we have seen a host of different types of butterfly, beetles, grasshoppers,  bees and hoverflies. At night, I have seen more species of moth in one week than I have seen in the rest of my life. We even had a poplar hawk moth park up next to the front door for 24 hours. There's a dark skies policy in this neck of the woods, meaning you see more stars.

Most of the time you cannot hear a single man-made sound. It's a little slice of heaven.

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Spending another week in a log cabin, situated in a wildflower meadow, surrounded by hedgerows, in deepest Suffolk. 

Looking out the front window, we have seen kestrels, buzzards, marsh harriers, barn owls, a bittern (!) and earlier today, a short-eared owl. Just walking around the meadow during daylight, we have seen a host of different types of butterfly, beetles, grasshoppers,  bees and hoverflies. At night, I have seen more species of moth in one week than I have seen in the rest of my life. We even had a poplar hawk moth park up next to the front door for 24 hours. There's a dark skies policy in this neck of the woods, meaning you see more stars.

Most of the time you cannot hear a single man-made sound. It's a little slice of heaven.

That sounds idylic my Lazermonkey.

I used to take my two dogs to an area in Jersey on the sea shore.

They crashed open the tail gate & raced out.

Every day was different with the tide. Huge range in Jersey occasional 40 feet of water in 6 hours

ebbing & flowing. Average about 25 feet. So the beach & tide line changed every day.

It is at the remotest part of the island. No toilets are any other facilities attracting only locals.

During my 45 mins in the morning it was rare to see any one. or even hear a car.

3 trailers & tractors their boats gone fishing launched directly into the waters edge.

Beautiful sand with outcrops of rock. The water tumbling over those further down the beach

as the tide makes.

The dogs foraging for smells in the rocky areas.

The sound of land birds chirping away. Sea birds in flocks foraging at the waters edge. As you

approach they take of for 20 feet & continue their work. Just absolute perfection.

The Craigie background of low cliffs filled in spring with colourful mesa-marathon.

Laurie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the results for this past year's Open University studies and finding I'd got passes in both modules, not spectacular passes but a pass is a pass and to quote from my old RAF days, "anything more is wasted effort"!

Just one more year of torture to go!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

It had to happen sooner or later,Emmerdale's got a decent cop,John Bowler who played Roger Valentine in The Bill (had a promotion though,DI now)...

Yes saw that tonight Vince now with a full beard. Emmerdale the only soap I watch.

Daft stories but I sit there after my dinner comfortable.

Laurie

• Like 1

On 2 August 2019 at 7:37 PM, Vince1159 said:

It had to happen sooner or later,Emmerdale's got a decent cop,John Bowler who played Roger Valentine in The Bill (had a promotion though,DI now)...

Had to laugh, as one of the presumably not decent Emmerdale cops used to be a friend of mine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Had to laugh, as one of the presumably not decent Emmerdale cops used to be a friend of mine!

It was just the way they came across,like Lachlan when he started trying to kill everybody he could find,there were so many fingers pointing to him (most of all his other half who nobody'd take a blind bit of notice of) not to mention it was known he had so many screws loose Cartiers watch repairers would've had overtime also when Kim Tates son hit Eric Pollard after being rear ended by whatsername while she was on the phone,police turn up and automattically think it's him without a thought that she hit him because she was on the phone (happens all over the country,why is Emmerdale immune) it's not really their fault but just the script....

Edited by Vince1159

15 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

On 7/7/2019 at 12:21 PM, LaurieS said:

Now down to earth to day.

I am making (attempting ha ha) a leek & potatoes very chunky (large bits) soup. 

Chatting to a young couple in the apartments lift , I vaguely remember this young bit, & asked

what they where having for dinner. The more attractive half said she was was making a leak &

potatoe soup. Sounds good I replied.

Saw them two days latter & asked how it went. Delicious came the answer. Cooking it Sunday I said.

They laughed do they know about my cooking ?

So leek  potatoe garlic carrot onion remains of a pepper. Accompanied by fresh brown rolls.

Laurie

Try adding some curly kale. Gives a very nice flavour.I love potato and leek soup! I hope you make the stock the proper way though - with a bone!! None of this cube rubbish!😂😂

Allan

ps - ever tried making soup in a slow cooker? Wonderful!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

On 6/10/2019 at 2:48 PM, Radleigh said:

I've not been on here much lately, but just having a look and seen this thread. One of the reasons why I've been so busy and not modelling is this, I'm doing my skydive license and as the title says "what makes you happy" this does and I can't put into words just how much. Here I am doing my Level 6 AFF, I passed that and my Level 7 soon after, so now i'm jumping all alone... just got to do 10 solos to gain my 'A' License, then the real fun begins.... 

Nice work! More effort bringing your knees up into your chest will help the backloop. Good recovery though!

You need to tell the dz that the reserve ripcord cable needs to be longer (probably by 2") on that rig.

Getting home from a weekend away to find that the garden hadn't been devastated by the gales and the bean and tomato canes hadn't been flattened.

Picking lots of fresh French Beans and tomatoes from the said canes, some nice yellow courgettes, as well as some more tomatoes, chillies and fresh basil from the greenhouse.

Later on the smell of the beans being blanched and some of the tomatoes being roasted with the basil.

Then, whilst sat out on the garden bench with the Wonderful Mrs Wez enjoying the peace and the sunshine, watching Long Tailed Tits eating Greenfly off of the Sweet Peas, the birds are very welcome to take as many Greenfly as they want, in fact, they should tell their friends!  The more the merrier!  We were watching about six of the wonderful creatures having a feast!

• Like 3

Getting out of hospital after two days incarceration.

Interesting 6 on the ward mixed.

50% you could chat to. 50% miserable blighters. They were not in pain or

suffering from anything other than a infection.

Shower available. Some could not as they were wired up to a drip contraption

I was the only candidate could not get there fast enough. shower dry yet

there were 4 wards sharing.

Toilet & basin in a room in our ward. Did not see any toothbrushes going in.

You could wheel the drip contraption so there was no excuse. Amazing.

Laurie

• Like 3

On 8/10/2019 at 1:37 PM, lasermonkey said:

It's happened again,plod pulls Amy over looking all stern and taps her cars rear light cluster then goes (has he been bribed by Cain?).....