How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

8 hours ago, LaurieS said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44791998

Please read it all it is very exceptional. I am 80 in a few months and cannot think of anything in my life, which equals it, as so exceptional as this.

Laurie

Reading the full story makes you realise how touch and go the whole thing was, how much luck and ingenuity was involved and just how selfless those involved were, a truly heartwarming story.

• Like 1

When the New Years/Birthday honours come around, if there are any left after the self serving captains of industy, sportsmen/women or "celebrities" from the world of entertainment have had their fill, then maybe, just maybe, there might be some left over for real, deserving heroes.

John.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

When the New Years/Birthday honours come around, if there are any left after the self serving captains of industy, sportsmen/women or "celebrities" from the world of entertainment have had their fill, then maybe, just maybe, there might be some left over for real, deserving heroes.

John.

I agree & am sure they will John. Actually Rick Stanton, the tall guy, has an MBE from a 2012 Cave diving.

I suspect however that they will have, judging from what I have seen of these guys, have had their reward in finding the boys

then being the main force bringing them back to their families. They are so laid back & humble about the whole affair. They

come back home to their families and just continue their day jobs.  The epitome of what a human should strive to be.

Laurie

• Like 3

On 7/11/2018 at 10:07 PM, Darby said:

Having a fishery all to myself, absolute stillness, seeing kingfishers flitting about, catching a fair few spirited roach and then this walloper came along . Happy in the knowledge that a 50yr old rod and reel and a single grain of sweetcorn can still outperform all the expensive carp tackle and gizmos when the occasion arises.

A rather nice 13lb common carp. I may need a bigger net.

DSC00729.jpg

orsum

Getting the results for the OU modules I've been taking, neither module was at all enjoyable for me and I found studying them an utter chore!  Very pleased to get a pass 2 (70-84% band, I got mid to high 70's), for both modules which is apparently in the 2.1 category from a conventional university.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

On 7/12/2018 at 4:11 PM, John_W said:

Having taken a year out since redundancy to concentrate on my studies, I get an interview for the first job I apply for.

If I get it, my ex boss from three years ago becomes my assistant.

Good luck. That be so ironic?

13 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Good luck. That be so ironic?

This was two jobs ago, she wasn't involved in the last redundancy, we were made redundant previously at the same time.

Now waiting for the call so I can turn them down if they offer.They want me to do the work of two people, and if I want a study day I have to do five days work in four. I had the tour after the interview, and the Library looks like it has been at the back of the funding queue for the last ten years.

Enough of this, it is supposed to be the happy thread...

Trying a new fishery for the first time today. Chatting to one of the most well mannered and respectful young chaps I've ever encountered. Not your average couch wallah but someone partaking in an activity not involving a 'Playbox.' Being able to pass on advice and techniques to a genuinely interested person. (yes that is  50yr old rod in the foreground, in 1/1 scale)

DSC00739.jpg

And this beauty; last cast of the day. Same rules apply to handling and return

DSC00740.jpg

• Like 4

Some things that made me happy on my recent UK trip:

The Isle of Man. Such a nice place to be when the weather’s good. And everything seems to just be easier there. I can’t remember the last time I felt as relaxed as I did sitting on Peel beach in the sunshine with an ice cream, watching the kids playing in the water.

British sausage rolls. Aussies seem to think there’s something iconic about the Aussie sausage roll, but the meat is always a funny colour and they’re inedible without sauce. I ate some fantastic sausage rolls in Britain - wonderful things with juicy, identifiable meat in the middle and no need for sauce at all. Best we’re in the cafe at the top of Snaefell and at Tebay services but I’d take a Greggs or supermarket sausage roll over an Australian one any day!

The Avro heritage centre at Woodford. This one brought up some mixed feelings - I hadn’t set foot on the site since I worked there in the 90s and it’s terribly sad both to see everything gone and to see small identifiable remnants of what was once there - but it’s a tremendous little museum run by friendly, helpful, enthusiastic people. The 2 quid we paid for the Vulcan cockpit tour was excellent value (particularly when I compare it with the 10 quid they charge to sit in a Spitfire at Hendon) - our guide was a retired 617 squadron Vulcan pilot and he was superb, very informative, we must have got about an hour for the 2 quid! And XM603 was looking great in the sunshine. Highly recommended!

• Like 5

On 7/8/2018 at 4:27 PM, Vince1159 said:

The KP Peanuts ad's back with the baby elephant,love it....

I have a tendency to fall asleep in front of the television so I might have dreamt it but I'm sure I recently saw an updated version of the Budweiser frogs. That would make me very happy.  It's just a shame that the beer is such a travesty of the real Czech stuff.

• Like 5

My daughter's graduation ceremony, not only because it was a great family occasion (my son and daughter in law came along too), but also to see the joy and happiness in all of those graduating.

In addition to all of those marvelous young people, it was great to see a man in his 70's being first in line to collect an MA and a man with cerebral-palsy being awarded an M-Phil, very life affirming!

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I haven't go a clue what an MA or M-Phil is but it sounds like a lot of hard work and is well deserved....

MA - Masters degree in arts or humanities type subject, the next stage on from a degree.

M.Phil - Master of Philosophy, one down from a D.Phil or Doctor of Philosophy.

Either way, you're right, a lot of work.  Naturally, the families and friends of those graduating applauded their own but these two gentlemen received considerable applause from the whole audience in recognition of their age and physical difficulties.

My own OU studies have been a chore this year and I'll admit it's been a struggle but having attended this graduation ceremony has inspired me to redouble my efforts in the next academic year!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see my youngest Grandson 11 years old jiggling about.

Broke his ankle, two main bones plus the plate, which fortunately were placed back and "safe" (gee they did not know my madcap grandson) and the ankle and leg plastered.

After a 3 or so days pain subsided and he was given (dangerous situation approaching) crutches. These were obviously the Louis Hamilton type dynamic type.

It was inspirational to watch his father's face as Oliver used the crutches to advantage by increasing his normal stride by twice the amount. Putting his stick down and swivelling,

whilst on the move in a 180 degree pattern followed by a stick in the air celebration move. This repeated with aplumb with variations.

This was finally curtailed when his mother's voice bellowed out of the window. OLIVER STOP ALL OF THAT. Father had a slurp (big) of wine.

I just grinned.

Laurie😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Wez said:

MA - Masters degree in arts or humanities type subject, the next stage on from a degree.

M.Phil - Master of Philosophy, one down from a D.Phil or Doctor of Philosophy.

Either way, you're right, a lot of work.  Naturally, the families and friends of those graduating received applause but these two gentlemen received considerable applause from the whole audience in recognition of their age and physical difficulties.

My own OU studies have been a chore this year and I'll admit it's been a struggle but having attended this graduation ceremony has inspired me to redouble my efforts in the next academic year!

Thanks Wez and good luck to you and your daughter....

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Just wait until you take him shopping....

Take him shopping Vince.

Oliver was, a week after the accident, with his Father at Silverstone in the stands watching the F1 for a whole weekend.

Walking, or should I say creative crutching, around the pits.

Back to school on the Monday and feted by his classmates. Then the little mite, changing schools, shed tears when the

headmistress said goodbye to him. Cannot get better in human relationships. 😢

• Like 1

On my recent trip back to Blighty, while I was staying at my brother's house, I spent a wonderful weekend with my Grandson. Frequent trips to the park across the road to play football, getting soaked by him while he splashed around in the large paddling pool in the garden, great fun. He decided that he didn't want to sleep in a single bed on his own, but wanted to share Granddad's bed. That's a double edged sword. He's the most restless fidget that I've ever met. I lost count of the number of kicks that I received. He managed to turn through 180 degrees at one point as well as falling out of the bed. But I can forgive him anything when I had to pick him up off the floor and put him back into the bed, and he says, without even waking up "I love you Granddad". Makes it all worth while. Can't wait for November.

John.

• Like 6

Well, I didn't get the job, and was going to turn them down anyway as I wasn't doing two people's work.

On the plus side, all this sunshine has given me a mega crop of chillies.

IMG-20180727-WA0000

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Darby said:

Scowling at people. It's a dying art and one I would like to resurrect.

Do not worry Darby my wife is a perfectionist. It is not dead dying or deceased. Oh heck no.

She perfected her extensive technic by experimenting on me this is over a period of 57 years.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...