How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

On 7/3/2018 at 5:55 PM, LaurieS said:

Australia is not a continent as such although mistakenly it has been called such. The continent was known as Australasia but the more usual name now is Oceania.

Oceania (Australasia)  includes 14 Independent States one of those, apart from Australia, being New Zealand. There are also approx the same number of dependencies.

Laurie

I doubt PNG are a threat, but Indonesia have an island or two nearby on that continent and the world's biggest navy.

UnZud depends on Aus to defend it, after being neutered by previous political parties handiwork. Hopefully that military alliance is never needed though.

2 hours ago, RACETRACK said:

Sounds like a job for International Rescue.....

Yes they did that for Tony Bullimore who was trapped in his upturned boat. 5 days an Australian Frigate, with air search, searched

for his yacht and found it. Peter Bullimore was rescued. Recently they spent massive hours days and months looking for the missing Airline.

New Zealand has an even more onerous task as their area is also massive. They have a small population but are big in heart.

Also the British Isles is on duty to those in the Atlantic with surveillance and monitoring apart from rescue boats and aircraft 24 hours a

day every day .

It is a good feeling that that is a good part of this world. Many people giving their time on putting themselves on the line for others.

On 22/06/2018 at 14:13, Bullbasket said:

Next Saturday, sitting in a Costa Coffee shop, somewhere in deepest darkest Essex, waiting for my 6 year old Grandson to come walking in. He doesn't know that Granddad will be sitting there at one of the tables. The look on his face will be priceless.

I said that it would be priceless.........and it was.

John.

• Like 8

To find that 4 of these young lads in the cave system have been reunited with their families.

It is just inspirational to find so many divers are prepared to place their own lives on the line to rescue their lives.

It is very sad that one diver has given his life.

I also feel so sad for the young kids' coach. Obviously, he led them into the mess but he must be the saddest

person in the world. We all make mistakes and I hope that he is not pillaged for his actions.

Laurie

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

To find that 4 of these young lads in the cave system have been reunited with their families.

It is just inspirational to find so many divers are prepared to place their own lives on the line to rescue their lives.

It is very sad that one diver has given his life.

I also feel so sad for the young kids' coach. Obviously, he led them into the mess but he must be the saddest

person in the world. We all make mistakes and I hope that he is not pillaged for his actions.

Laurie

I've just one question though Laurie,shouldn't the adult that took them into the caves be brought up on criminal charges at least...

16 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I've just one question though Laurie,shouldn't the adult that took them into the caves be brought up on criminal charges at least...

Why Vince? He's also trapped.

I don't think anyone goes out of their way to get trapped six miles into a cave system near the beginning of the rainy season, and as the team have been in before, I think this was an accident, pure and simple.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Why Vince? He's also trapped.

I don't think anyone goes out of their way to get trapped six miles into a cave system near the beginning of the rainy season, and as the team have been in before, I think this was an accident, pure and simple.

Makes you wonder,caves/rainy season,you don't have to be a geologist to work out what's going to happen!...It was an accident but how many lives has it risked (and cost) because somedody didn't use a bit of common sense....

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

What criminal charge has he committed Vince ?  

Apart from that I would think that he will live with this for the rest of his life. He is only young himself.

5 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Not sure but i'll be surprised if he doesn't get charged with something...

Sad if he does. Criminality has to have an intent to commit a crime.  As he is a coach for the boys

he would not have led the boys into hell intentionally. Stupidity but if that was a crime we would

all have served in jail at one time or another.

10 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Sad if he does. Criminality has to have an intent to commit a crime.  As he is a coach for the boys

he would not have led the boys into hell intentionally. Stupidity but if that was a crime we would

all have served in jail at one time or another.

Stupidity's one thing but it was out and out carelessness...We'll leave it at that....

17 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Not sure but i'll be surprised if he doesn't get charged with something...

I doubt it; the boys and he have been in those caves many times before. This time it was generally the boys idea to go further in. Normally there is no problem but a sudden un-forcast heavy rain elsewhere sent flood waters into the caves

• Like 2

Is that not really exciting news. They all got out of that cave just remarkable.

So pleased that with other nationalities that we have our nations expert divers there.

My wife and I have been overjoyed to hear each snippet of news.

Seems the boys went into the caves to carve their names on the walls.  The youngest

the same age as my youngest Grandson 11years.

A few notes on the coach. My daughter told me that he lost, at the age of 5  his whole family

through some deadly virus. Mum dad brother and sister. He was left alone

At 15 years old he became a monk until his twenties.  He left to support young people. No doubt

a throwback to his own young year's tragedy.

In the cave he has used his meditation from his years as a monk to support the children. He also

gave all his food to the children and was when they were discovered in the poorest of condition.

So sad that in this world there are conflicts where it is or seems to be the aim to kill. Here we have 

support from the country and from around the world to preserve life. Inspirational.

Laurie

• Like 9

There is no end to all of this. The British Divers asked Thailand's commander to request that an Australian Doctor, also an experienced diver,

join the rescue team.

By chance he was on holiday in Thailand. Dr Richard Harris "Harry". He abandoned his holiday and immediately joined the boys & their coach to

support them medically. He spent 3 continous days with them and was the last man to leave the cave.

I just cannot believe that all this happened. It just beggars belief that so many good guys have done all of this. Absolute respect.

Just hope that some of the smart bottomed guys around in this world would take a bit of notice of the kindness and respect for those in distress.

The world is not all prancing around in smart suits and counting your money every day.

Laurie

PS I stupidly forgot to mention. Sadly when Doc. Harry reached the surface he found that his father had died while he was in the cave. So very sad.

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, LaurieS said:

There is no end to all of this. The British Divers asked Thailand's commander to request that an Australian Doctor, also an experienced diver,

join the rescue team.

By chance he was on holiday in Thailand. Dr Richard Harris "Harry". He abandoned his holiday and immediately joined the boys & their coach to

support them medically. He spent 3 continous days with them and was the last man to leave the cave.

I just cannot believe that all this happened. It just beggars belief that so many good guys have done all of this. Absolute respect.

Just hope that some of the smart bottomed guys around in this world would take a bit of notice of the kindness and respect for those in distress.

The world is not all prancing around in smart suits and counting your money every day.

Laurie

PS I stupidly forgot to mention. Sadly when Doc. Harry reached the surface he found that his father had died while he was in the cave. So very sad.

Strange. I am sure I used a more gentlemanly form of adjective than "bottomed". Who would use that expression when there are so many alternative

inspiring ways of expressing the lower rear anatomy of a man.  Bottom ?

I am sure it was not that which was wrote and no one "asked" me if I would change it. So aghast I am I have written not what I wrote.

Laurie

Having a fishery all to myself, absolute stillness, seeing kingfishers flitting about, catching a fair few spirited roach and then this walloper came along . Happy in the knowledge that a 50yr old rod and reel and a single grain of sweetcorn can still outperform all the expensive carp tackle and gizmos when the occasion arises.

A rather nice 13lb common carp. I may need a bigger net.

DSC00729.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Darby said:

Having a fishery all to myself, absolute stillness, seeing kingfishers flitting about, catching a fair few spirited roach and then this walloper came along . Happy in the knowledge that a 50yr old rod and reel and a single grain of sweetcorn can still outperform all the expensive carp tackle and gizmos when the occasion arises.

A rather nice 13lb common carp. I may need a bigger net.

DSC00729.jpg

Uhhmm. Darby.  It does look very still and done for.

It would make me happy if I knew the carp was gently replaced as others do & in my case used to do.

The fish would be replaced as soon as the hook was removed & I would look with satisfaction. One all, live for another day.

Laurie

On 7/4/2018 at 2:03 AM, LaurieS said:

New Zealand has an even more onerous task as their area is also massive. They have a small population but are big in heart.

We almost had a "mini-frigate" capsize recently, down in the Antarctic seas looking for dodgy fishing vessels (of which there are many...).

Search & rescue and fisheries are the two primary functions and the order for new P-8 Poseidon aircraft has been re-confirmed by the latest government.

On 7/8/2018 at 2:44 PM, PhoenixII said:

Chang Rai is is the northern part of Thailand and is quite mountainous up there. The locals would have been familiar with the location and (I'm guessing) might be a local adventure place? Riding their bikes there after footy practice as a bit of "team bonding"?

The coach was a Buddhist monk, as mentioned earlier, and there is a common practice for males to spend a year or two living as a monk and then re-entering mainstream society.

I can see his learnings being of value through their entire ordeal. It is wonderful they are all out, but very sad for the sole loss of life from an experienced Thai diver.

One life to save eleven others. Such is the way of the world.

9 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Uhhmm. Darby.  It does look very still and done for.

It would make me happy if I knew the carp was gently replaced as others do & in my case used to do.

The fish would be replaced as soon as the hook was removed & I would look with satisfaction. One all, live for another day.

Laurie

All fish go back as quickly as possible and I very rarely photograph them. The photo was taken as soon as she was landed, quickly weighed in the net and went straight back afterwards. You'll also notice the fish is on a wet net and not being held up in front of the camera which many people do. Hands are always pre wetted in a bucket of water prior to handling and on return the fish are supported in the water until they swim away. And I always use barbless hooks. You'll be happy in the knowledge with a flip of tail as soon as she was back in the water it was back down to the murky depths and no doubt wary of eating sweetcorn from now on. As an aside all fish no matter how small are netted and never swung in.

Edited by Darby
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Darby said:

All fish go back as quickly as possible and I very rarely photograph them. The photo was taken as soon as she was landed, quickly weighed in the net and went straight back afterwards. You'll also notice the fish is on a wet net and not being held up in front of the camera which many people do. Hands are always pre wetted in a bucket of water prior to handling and on return the fish are supported in the water until they swim away. And I always use barbless hooks. You'll be happy in the knowledge with a flip of tail as soon as she was back in the water it was back down to the murky depths and no doubt wary of eating sweetcorn from now on. As an aside all fish no matter how small are netted and never swung in.

Good stuff Darby. The Fishes friend. Seen when I fished years ago awfull manhandling of the fish. Putting them in a bucket until

home time etc.

In Jersey we have an old canal only a 100 yds long. Surrounded by reeds with little indents where you could sit and fish. Majority

carp which when I fished there were approx 5lbs downwards. But have heard there are now some huge monsters.

Some farmer, it was said, used to tip old meat into the canal. What it did I do not know. It was/is pure heaven as you rarely see

a soul and no car noise at all.

Laurie

Having taken a year out since redundancy to concentrate on my studies, I get an interview for the first job I apply for.

If I get it, my ex boss from three years ago becomes my assistant.

• Like 9