How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

19 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

You've been watching Emmerfail again ain'cha...

Edit: Sorry Wez,meant to quote Laurie...

Most definitely not Vince, never watch ITV, can't speak for Laurie though.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Getting on the ferry on the start of my holibob, didn't even have to queue to get on either - result!

Obviously going to Guernsey Wez ! 😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

For a minuite i thought Condor had been given a new name,'holibob's got a certain ring to it...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

For a minuite i thought Condor had been given a new name,'holibob's got a certain ring to it...

So funny Vince. In fits here. Even Hobnob.

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, LaurieS said:

No St Malo.  Close though.

18 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

holibob's got a certain ring to it...

Yes it does doesn't it, the kids started referring to it like that many years ago, like a lot of family things it stuck! I've heard it used more widely since so we can't claim credit for it.

Laurie and Vince, had I not had my head down snoozing I would have given you a wave as I passed by!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wez said:

No St Malo.  Close though.

Yes it does doesn't it, the kids started referring to it like that many years ago, like a lot of family things it stuck! I've heard it used more widely since so we can't claim credit for it.

Laurie and Vince, had I not had my head down snoozing I would have given you a wave as I passed by!

Enjoy your frog legs and snails while there Wez. Do some nice langoustine. Superb Muscadet as they keep all the good bottles themselves in France.

20 miles to the east of St Malo is the town of Dinan. If you get a chance visit. Great old places with thin streets. Also down the hill is Port de Dinan on the

canal. Great atmosphere with little shops restaurants. The hill with cobbles back up to the town is crowded (no cars) with restaurants pizza artisan places fantastic

area. When boating which used to spend holidays there. People are so friendly.

Ah yes !  Thoughts of yesterday when out 4 kids were tiddlers. My eldest son when in France, about 12, used to snack on snails. Now prepares them himself

(but not from the garden).

Have a great trip Wes.

Laurie

Laurie,

I know Dinan, we stayed there for a couple of nights a couple of years back, we went to the market and bought some great patisserie, lovely pork loin chops for dinner and a poulet roti with some baguette for lunch - bliss!

As for Muscadet, it's my intention to liberate the country of as much wine as I can reasonably stash in my self propelled home on wheels without breaking any laws. The sainted and beloved Mrs Wez is partial to a drop of Muscadet so that will be making its way into the stash.

One thing we've only discovered this trip is rillettes de poulet roti, basically take a roasted chicken and reduce it into a small pot as a form of coarse paté. Lovely and no doubt very fattening when thickly smeared onto baguette but gorgeous nonetheless! Some of it will definitely be making its way back across the Channel! This stuff makes me happy!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Laurie,

I know Dinan, we stayed there for a couple of nights a couple of years back, we went to the market and bought some great patisserie, lovely pork loin chops for dinner and a poulet roti with some baguette for lunch - bliss!

As for Muscadet, it's my intention to liberate the country of as much wine as I can reasonably stash in my self propelled home on wheels without breaking any laws. The sainted and beloved Mrs Wez is partial to a drop of Muscadet so that will be making its way into the stash.

One thing we've only discovered this trip is rillettes de poulet roti, basically take a roasted chicken and reduce it into a small pot as a form of coarse paté. Lovely and no doubt very fattening when thickly smeared onto baguette but gorgeous nonetheless! Some of it will definitely be making its way back across the Channel! This stuff makes me happy!

Just heaven Wez.

I got a video message from my two year old granddaughter today.

She says 'See pin  rrrrrrrrrr' complete with hand movements.

It transpires she was at an airshow in Dunajska Streda with her dad today and was describing a Yak 18 flypast.

Loved her engine noise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Loved an early, on Friday evening,  dinner put on for me as father (Father's day) of my 2 daughters.

Senior Daughter, Karen, produced curries a chicken, lamb Rogan Josh and Dal with all the bits and pieces.

Wrecked my diet but I forgive them.

Then both daughters Karen & Sarah produced a hamper of goodies. Olives, preserved artichoke,

gherkins, bottle cider, special salad dressing, biscuits etc etc.  A hamper for the pampered.

Just loved it as they had taken time for their Dad.

Junior son could not be there as he lives with his wife in London. Senior son, unfortunately, has a

phobia about leaving his house. But I know they will ring tomorrow and we will have a good laugh

as they take the mick.

Just family you cannot beat it. Hard bringing up a family of four but the benefits outway the outlay

a million times. I love them more than I can possibly express.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 6

50 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

A day at the seaside! :D

Regards.

Steve

My luck is in then as I live by the sea Steve.  Not all good fortune when wind hits us from a 3000 mile fetch though.

But no wind and I cycle along the promenade and back over an hour.

Every day is different as Jersey has one of the highest and lowest tide levels. The ozone smell is just another

part of that pleasure.

A verse from Seaside Golf

Ah! Seaweed smells from sandy caves
And thyme and mist in whiffs,
In-coming tide, Atlantic waves
Slapping the sunny cliffs,
Lark song and sea sounds in the air
And splendour, splendour everywhere.

- John Betjeman

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 2

You're spot on there Laurie,nothing like the smell of salt water/seaweed apart maybe the smell you get that tells you there's a thunderstorm on the way (aviation fuel as well but that's nothing to do with nature).....

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

(aviation fuel as well

In the the early eighties after a nasty accident,I spent a fair amount of time in a rehabilitation centre in Harrogate.

After a month I was fairly mobile so I used to disappear after lunch.

Other residents noticed this and asked. where I went and I told them that I had an audio-aromatherapy session every afternoon.

RAF Leeming..You can't beat the sound and smell of a Tornado F3 on full burner .

Soon there was a full car every day.

• Haha 5

Been there, done that and jumped like hell (not advisable when driving!) when a pair went over my head,

glad they'd 'cleaned up' otherwise it would have been a groove in the roof!

Great wasn't it! :yahoo:

Sadly only Tonka's coming in or out now are on flatbed trailers..........RTP

Glad you didn't join the 'peacenik' on her lonely vigil at RAF Menwith Hill :whistle:

• Like 3

Next Saturday, sitting in a Costa Coffee shop, somewhere in deepest darkest Essex, waiting for my 6 year old Grandson to come walking in. He doesn't know that Granddad will be sitting there at one of the tables. The look on his face will be priceless.

John.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, RACETRACK said:

I realise i've reached middle age I now enjoy a pipe full of condor......

I can smell it. Not that I am a smoker.

My Grandad, who is a Shetlander (now with the great I am in the sky) used to smoke Condor the hard stuff.

It came in a block and he would sit there carving it into his palm. He would then rub it between his palms

before stuffing it into his pipe. I hate cigarette smoke but that Condor from his pipe permeated the whole of

my Grand parent's house and I loved it.

He was an engineer in Hull. His work was on the large fishing boats around at that time just after WW11.

The information I gleaned from the family conversation when I was a youngster found that he also chewed the

stuff. When in the ship's bottom. Grandma, actually Gran, would not have allowed it in the house.

Another beauty. When he died Gran and mum had a clear out of his clothes. When they got to his overcoat

they searched the pockets. By chance they noticed a bulge in the lining. The old devil had had inbuilt a

secret pocket in the lining. In there Gran found a pile of pound notes. Obviously, Gran was a high spender

in my Grandad's view and he had taken a defensive attitude. Just love it..

Laurie

• Like 5