How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

I was looking for a photograph which is hidden somewhere in an external hard drive.

Still haven't found it because I got sidetracked with old family pictures which I had forgotten I'd scanned.

A lovely trip down memory lane.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

My new kitchen doors and worktops arrived  undamaged yesterday and the joiners arrived on time this morning.

They worked through lunch and finished the job by early afternoon and at the price quoted.

Bonus that OIC Domestic Site is really happy with the end result.

• Like 4

Catching brownies (larger than last time) again earlier this evening up on Dartmoor whilst the only sounds were sheep and cuckoos. Watching swallows skimming the water, a stonechat flitting by and a fox making an early evening foray not 30yds in front of me, and at times; total silence reigned. 

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Darby said:

Catching brownies (larger than last time) again earlier this evening up on Dartmoor whilst the only sounds were sheep and cuckoos. Watching swallows skimming the water, a stonechat flitting by and a fox making an early evening foray not 30yds in front of me, and at times; total silence reigned. 

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ah, silence. Something to be treasured.

The beach at Chapel St Leonards.

Silence, apart from the bird chorus, blissful. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ah, silence. Something to be treasured.

Certainly is a rare thing these days.

I was sitting quietly for 5 minutes between jobs yesterday afternoon when my peace and quiet was shattered by a Typhoon leaving low level and climbing rapidly away to the north.

Now if it had been my neighbour's dog incessantly barking or the tube along the road sitting and revving his motorbike (never leaves the driveway) I would have been really hacked off.

Don't see too many Typhoons down this way and it was a T3 to boot.

• Like 3

Ahhh yes yes. The silence of peace.

Yes we regularly encounter it in our flat while I am model making with the window wide open to let

in air from that 3000 mile ocean fetch. Clean air filtered over that distance.

Accompanied by. Cars whizzing by. 50cc mopeds with converted silences, noise from the nursery below,

10:00am Monday test of the siren. The air conditioning unit from Cineworld. The beat of the music

from the Bar & Canteen. Boys on skateboards. The rumble of suitcase wheels as passengers make their

hurried way to the ferry terminal. Hurry folks as ferry's horn blasts away preparing to leave for Poole.

Then when all of that is not about early in the morning. The sound of seagulls, the chirping of a flutter

of sparrows. The almost, as if noise, slight chill of the air gently flowing into the bedroom. And as

I look out of the window in the morning a couple of healthy rabbits, contented, sitting there munching

their way through the juicy tender tops of nature's gift of green growth. 

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 6

One of the things that drew us to where we live in France, was the peace and quiet. When my brother-in-law visits, he stands outside and just laps it up, enjoying the "noise" of the silence. "Rush hour" in the morning is when the school bus comes through, and then again around 3pm on it's return. A traffic jam is when two tractors meet on the road going in opposite directions. It's not all peace and quiet though. When the ring neck doves start cooing outside my window at dawn, my patience does wear thin and I contemplate ringing the necks of the ring necked doves.

John.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

There was a series on a few weeks ago called Escape to the Chateau about brits that have moved to France and bought places,one couple bought theirs for less than a London flat and others were amazed how quite everything was and said it was nice to hear the wildlife,but i suppose after a while they start to get on your nerves...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's raining here at moment so apart from the birds..silence. In fact I began to doubt that it was a Sunday afternoon.

I have 2 pairs of Starlings nesting in the roof and at least 4 pairs of Sparrows. The Collared Doves ,2 pairs I think, are nesting in the trees at the front of the house.

Funny how you can tolerate some types of noise though isn't it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

others were amazed how quite everything was and said it was nice to hear the wildlife,but i suppose after a while they start to get on your nerves...

At 4am......Yes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

At 4am......Yes!

You live in the country, shouldn't you be up milking cows or something by 4am?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We were camping at a site in West Sussex that is very near the sea this weekend, whilst dozing in the wee small hours all I could hear was the gentle lapping of the waves against the pebbled shore - it was very soothing!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gorby said:

You live in the country, shouldn't you be up milking cows or something by 4am?

I only get up at 4am for really important things, such as having a long drive to a model show, (or if my bladder wakes me up:yawn:).

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Wez said:

We were camping at a site in West Sussex that is very near the sea this weekend, whilst dozing in the wee small hours all I could hear was the gentle lapping of the waves against the pebbled shore - it was very soothing!

So right Wez. We had at one time a boat and used to go over to France at the weekend. 13 miles.

Moor in a little bay near Portbail. Just the noise of the sea. No cars. Asleep in the morning you would

hear the little lap lap lap as the tide came in and caressed the hull.

This would continue until the boat started to lift on a small wave then settle then again and again. The

boat would then float with a slight rocking motion. And then it was 10:30 as the motion had sent all

5 of us to sleep.

We then had a shower got dressed and wandered into the sleepy village of Portbail. Buy some croissants

or a baguette. By that time 12:00 o.clock

Wander back to the boat and have breakfast (or was it lunch). Perhaps bacon and eggs or just butter and

marmalade on a delicious slice of French bread. 

Next morning a repeat. Such absolute heaven. Just the little things of life. No television no news. Just the

the family five

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 8

@Scimitar Hi Richard, I saw the Typhoon myself on Saturday. He was flying low and exceptionally slow on a West to East course just North of the village. Those things really can crawl along when they want to. I guess he was enjoying the sunlight on the mountains.

Silence is a common sound hereabouts. You rarely hear a car anywhere in the glen after ten at night. Just the sound of the small burn that runs down from the mountain a few hundred yards away and the owls, foxes and local Heron and watching the bats fluttering around any light source picking off the insects. On the downside a Heron doesn't half make a horrible noise in the night (The Gaelic name means something along the lines of "Screaming Stork") and the foxes sound like women being murdered when it's mating season.

• Like 1

There were four great moments of my life. Just unforgettable.

To hold Pauline and my babies. I did it four times.

In those days you were told to go home. No viewing of the birth.

Wait for the phone call. No respect always the middle of the night.

I got there, the maternity home, to be greeted by a nurse holding a white shawl

within which was our baby. Either one of our sons or daughters.

To hold a baby you had not seen before but waited for 9months, and there it was.

A little thing with a screwed up face and those tiny fingers. There holding

this minute being, part of me laying there, content, the first minutes of life.

That is unbeatable. And now years later a 56, a 54,47 and a 40-year-old.

It was a long time ago but the memory is always there.

Laurie

• Like 6

That is such a cool thing Laurie.

Unfortunately, Mrs Mad Mk1 was not forthcoming with the babies, and Mk2 already had ready made ones when I met her.

The girls always called me Steve, and I was actually wondering whether I would ever here that word spoken to me, but on the day 

of the adoption we went outside after it was all finished to a coffee shop, and the two them sat down next to me and asked if they 

could call me Dad now. I burst into tears and cried like a little girl... Man that was the happiest day of my life :) 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

That is such a cool thing Laurie.

Unfortunately, Mrs Mad Mk1 was not forthcoming with the babies, and Mk2 already had ready made ones when I met her.

The girls always called me Steve, and I was actually wondering whether I would ever here that word spoken to me, but on the day 

of the adoption we went outside after it was all finished to a coffee shop, and the two them sat down next to me and asked if they 

could call me Dad now. I burst into tears and cried like a little girl... Man that was the happiest day of my life :) 

Yes it was Steve and pleased that you are happy.

Children get your emotions every time. You enjoy them and worry about them. The enjoyment

is something to behold. Christmas and the whole family together with my youngest son & wife

who I do not see often enough. 14 around the table bedlam.

Mother and Father do not now get a word in now. I just sit there and laugh.

Laurie

• Like 4

Knowing that the youngest grandson was allowed out of hospital for an hour earlier today, after being in for the last five and a half weeks.

Sadly, he won't be going home as his white cell count is all over the place. Next set of chemo starts 4th June, he'll have been an in patient for twelve and a half weeks before he gets another chance of a week of 'normality', before either set three or a

bone marrow transplant.

Keep him in your prayers or wish him good karma.

Paul

• Like 7
  • Sad 1