How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

We have a family WhatsApp chat.

The kids fired one up today and it soon ended up with the usual sniping etc. I played them this YouTube clip and they stopped, in the family chat at least!

They're 25 & 21 respectively but carry on like they were 11 & 7, makes me smile 😃

• Haha 5

Seeing Yellowhammers and Redstarts on Dartmoor earlier on this evening. Coupled with brown trout rising to the dry fly made for a pleasant few hours until lager swilling foul mouthed orcs decided it was a good idea to go swimming 20yds from where I was fishing. I hope they catch cryptosporidium. Now that would make me very happy indeed. 

• Like 7

We get a lot of wild birds around here that I never saw back home, but at this time of year, it's always nice to see the Hoopoo birds return. The magnificent crest on their heads and their distinctive call, is always pleasing.

John.

• Like 2

A second session on Dartmoor. Genuine peace and quiet and an interesting conservation or two with genuine holidaymakers and locals. Seeing a chiff chaff for the first time and catching  lovely little beauties like these. Not a record breaker but a nicely conditioned wild brownie as an added bonus to the surroundings (both fish and left arm and hand are 1/1 scale).

DSC00680.jpg

• Like 2

Morning chaps :bye:

Well winter is coming, leaves are starting to turn brown and fall all over the place (and in the pool :(), birds flying off for their summer hols, that palpable chilliness in the air in the mornings and evenings and last night we even had a fire going :) 

But, That's not why I'm happy 

Couple of months ago I started weaning myself off the smokes, and just having the odd couple of puffs of the Ecig. Today I can report that this is now my 7th week without a cigarette and surviving on just a couple of puffs a day on the Ecig. Considering I have zero willpower (don't you just hate those people that announce, I'm quitting!, and then do :)) I am quite proud of myself :) 

• Like 10

Actually being alive although I have to admit that I do not know what it is like being dead. Not in a hurry to find out.

80 this year. So decided to live to 100. When I get there I will then reconsider and may extend the period. In the meantime

just enjoying life. Never understand why people retire and then charge off around the world. I never retired I stopped one

thing, lifetime career started another small business then another.

Always getting involved in something. They are starting to build flats in front of ours. Just started a group in our flats to

counter noise and aggro from the building works. I was not put on this earth to sit in a chair and watch television all day.

To much to do and enjoy life. Not enough hours, that is the problem.

Laurie

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Darby said:

Not a record breaker but a nicely conditioned wild brownie

But many on here will be perturbed to see that the fish seems to be 'end opening'.

Personally, I prefer catching the occasional domesticated brownie.

300dcecb-0104-45c2-8623-c3116964ae9a.png

What a beauty.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

One thing that makes me happy is visiting my  middle son and daughter in law in Florida once or twice a year.

We're there now and just coming to the end of another three week sojourn.

A lovely slow pace of !ife, beautiful beaches and my son's pool.

Went to the Warbird air museum yesterday  which was awesome, around forty aircraft on display so I was in my element.

Wife took some snaps so hopefully some will be good enough to post when I get home.

• Like 4

On food I like doughnuts. Nice and doughy, large (very), filled with squirty jam which oooooooooooozes out with each bite.

Take a bite and I am transported into Shangrila as if on cloud 9 or is it ten.

Problem is the sugar gets under my dentures uggghh.

Laurie

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

But many on here will be perturbed to see that the fish seems to be 'end opening'.

Both fore and aft. As a non cake eater I'll take your word for that one. Looks like something where the cattle have been on aforementioned moor. Obviously the taste will be at the other end of the spectrum though.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

Morning chaps :bye:

Well winter is coming, leaves are starting to turn brown and fall all over the place (and in the pool :(), birds flying off for their summer hols, that palpable chilliness in the air in the mornings and evenings and last night we even had a fire going :) 

But, That's not why I'm happy 

Couple of months ago I started weaning myself off the smokes, and just having the odd couple of puffs of the Ecig. Today I can report that this is now my 7th week without a cigarette and surviving on just a couple of puffs a day on the Ecig. Considering I have zero willpower (don't you just hate those people that announce, I'm quitting!, and then do :)) I am quite proud of myself :) 

I have the utmost respect for anyone who manages to kick the habit so well done Steve. It was probably the most difficult thing I've achieved, but It is so worthwhile especially when you walk past a smoker and think, yuk I used to smell like that.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

Aye up Steve,

Well done mate. I'm currently on my 6th week now without the fags. Didn't go down the replacement route though. Cold turkey for me...... Good innit 😉

Regards,

Steve

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Morning Chaps :bye:

Thanks Vinnie & Steve

Yeah, its a bit of a struggle, but one that seems to be diminishing as the days go on. 

There are those moments that your brain just screams SMOOOOOOKKKKEEEEEEEEE.... but instead of reaching for the fags i go outside or to the shops or something. 

You so right Steve about smelling other people that smoked :) but the nice thing for me (apart from all the health twaddle) is I my modelling desk isn't covered in fag ash from the ashtray anymore :) 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, fatfingers said:

@MAD STEVE @fatfingers

9 hours ago, fatfingers said:

You're both doing very well. :clap2: I kicked it pre electric fags, but found the Niquitine lozenges very good for suppressing the cravings. Well worth trying if you're in danger of lapsing.

• Thanks 1

Ta Vinnie

I am surprised at myself for not caving in and sneaking off for a sneaky one :) I mean, I actually used to like smoking, sitting at me modelling desk having a smoke etc and its actually true what people say in that you have to change your living style to avoid lapsing (Only place I smoked in the house was the modelling room)

Down side is Ive picked up some weight, but Ive started walking to get a bit more exercise :)     

• Like 1

I think that everyone has their own method of quitting. I quit around 1981. I was never a heavy smoker, about 20 a day. At the time, I used to work at an oil refinery in the Thames Estuary, and we could only smoke in designated areas, known colloquially as "bang holes". They were similar to concrete bus shelters and were open to the elements. I remember sitting out there one January morning about 3am, with the wind howling up the estuary bringing the temperature down to about -10, and thinking to myself "WHY?" I had a nasty cold at the time which always made  cigarettes taste foul, so I decided to kick the habit. It may sound smug, but I was able to do it quite easily. The difficulty with regards to the nature of my job, a heavy cold and couple of other factors helped. I've not smoked since. Now all I need to do is to convince my wife to do the same. It's a PITA sharing a car with someone who smells like an old ash tray.   

John.

• Like 4

I was never a heavy smoker - maybe one or two a week - so giving up wasn't that hard. A big incentive to stay off came when my (now late) wife was diagnosed with lung cancer - she was on 35 - 40 a day at the time. The inevitable took eighteen months to happen.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, MAD STEVE said:

Ta Vinnie

I am surprised at myself for not caving in and sneaking off for a sneaky one :) I mean, I actually used to like smoking, sitting at me modelling desk having a smoke etc and its actually true what people say in that you have to change your living style to avoid lapsing (Only place I smoked in the house was the modelling room)

Down side is Ive picked up some weight, but Ive started walking to get a bit more exercise :)     

Spot on Steve. Your weight creeps up without you realising. Before you know it you're huffing and puffing at the slightest bit of excercise. Almost as bad as when smoking. Mine got up 21 stone before I realised. 😨 I started the 5/2 diet, still do it now and my weight fluctuates between 13 and 14 stone.

• Like 2

Well I've never been, as one might say, a slim and trim chap. I have an issue with my Metabolism which has something to do with the kind of Epilepsy I have (when the doctor tries to explain it, it makes my head hurt :))

However, the Vrau and I have decided to get a bit healthier, (she has her own issues, Lupus and everything that goes with that) so we're actually a right pair really, but It can only do us good :)  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

(she has her own issues, Lupus and everything that goes with that)

She has my sympathy. My niece, who is 51 has Lupus and I know the pain that she goes through with it.

John.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Puff said:

I was never a heavy smoker - maybe one or two a week - so giving up wasn't that hard. A big incentive to stay off came when my (now late) wife was diagnosed with lung cancer - she was on 35 - 40 a day at the time. The inevitable took eighteen months to happen.

Sorry to hear about that A.P.

• Thanks 1