How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

In US at the moment and have just received a video message from my two Grandsons saying how much they miss me.

Wonderful.

Think I've got a bit of grit in my eye! 

• Like 6

On 5/2/2018 at 11:20 AM, Biggles87 said:

One of our dogs has an inbuilt timer which woofs 8 hours after going to bed or 0630 whichever is the sooner!

Luxury!

Our Doglet (Simba, the Springer Spaniel pup) has woke me up at 04.30, 04.20 and 05.20 the last three mornings so he could go to toilet. He then climbs between Mrs B and myself and after attempting to chew my arm and a good deal of fidgiting he goes back to sleep, accompanied by more fidgiting and farting which then keeps me awake until the alarm goes off....

• Haha 6

We had a German Sheperd the most beautiful dog a real darling. At the age of 8 she developed a tumour on the brain and died.

A bit of me died with her.

But I still laugh at her naughtiness.

Used to take her onto the dunes beside the sea with our labrador. On the dunes there is a gold course all open to the public to wander

That day we wandered. I watched a golfer place his tee and ball carefully and take out his club.

He started the usual practice shots. Drew back his club as Pippa took off. His club was on the way down. Pippa like a flash whizzed to

the tee and in one flash picked the gold ball from the tee and kept running. Consternation. No.

The golfer and I just fell about laughing.

Laurie

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Unfortunately, the Black Dog of depression has prevented any happiness from arriving at my shore for a few years now.  It is truly a place that any healthy-minded person can never begin to imagine.  I can see nice things, watch nature, even laugh at some things, but they don't "make me happy"  

My advice, all those things that have been mentioned on this thread, appreciate them even more!  I wish I could.

Sorry if I've lowered the tone.

Edited by hovis
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

28 minutes ago, hovis said:

Unfortunately, the Black Dog of depression has prevented any happiness from arriving at my shore for a few years now.  It is truly a place that any healthy-minded person can never begin to imagine.  I can see nice things, watch nature, even laugh at some things, but they don't "make me happy"  

My advice, all those things that have been mentioned on this threat, appreciate them even more!  I wish I could.

Nothing wrong with expressing yourself and how you feel. In my book it helps. My younger son had problems

and talk we did. Happily, all is well now. I do hope yours goes the same way.

Laurie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hovis said:

My advice, all those things that have been mentioned on this threat, appreciate them even more!  I wish I could.

There is always hope.

I had a lot of problems with depression when I was younger, but it is possible to beat it. That doesn't mean that I'm happy all the time, that would require my brain to be replaced with that of a Golden Retriever puppy, but I'm no longer depressed and that's a pretty good feeling.

If I knew the secret I'd write a book. I'd love to say that it was noticing the good things and appreciating beauty of the world (that would probably sell more books), but I think it was more that I started to realise that the things we are expected to take very seriously in society, are often quite ludicrous. Laughing at inopportune moments was probably a downside, but taking things a lot less seriously seemed to help me a lot.

It also helped, that when people said “Cheer up, it may never happen.”

I would imagine punching them in the face. :punch:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, hovis said:

Unfortunately, the Black Dog of depression has prevented any happiness

Sorry to hear that.

The illness is much misunderstood,even by professionals.

Hopefully some of the banter throughout this forum will start to let in a chink of light.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just had a very happy moment.

A large cod and chips. The real thing fat chips and crispy batter. A load of Malt vinegar and plenty of salt (darn the health for a night).

Plus 2 cans of Boddingtons draught beer. (darn the health for a night)

Gee, I live at the top.  😂

Laurie

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

hovis,

You are not alone I also have a Black Dog trying to destroy me at the moment. If I had an answer for you I would gladly give it. Try and remember this is you are not what the dog thinks , you are better than that.It does not always work but I find it does on occasions. Try to tell someone your feelings be honest and dont be afraid to cry(I have done so many times)You are no less of a man for that. Heavy burdons can't be carried alone,shared problems can be lighter and in time you may be able to boot the black dog up the bottom!

Posted with Love

Paul

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2018 at 8:08 PM, hovis said:

My advice, all those things that have been mentioned on this thread, appreciate them even more!  I wish I could.

I feel your pain, it's something I struggle with too. I hope you find happiness soon.

• Thanks 1

A simple happiness for me: to sit down at the workbench on a Saturday morning and do some modeling. It gives me a warm feeling, remembering those carefree days of childhood.

• Like 5

I don't get the fuss over babies.

Small podgy blobs with a shape more like an animated novelty balloon rather than a proper human; they have limitless odious secretions; unnecessary annoying decibel levels and the conversational skills of a turnip.

I'm about ready to like kids when they're past twenty and ready to move out.

When our own grand-sprogs hatch I hope that something will kick-in that will change this state of affairs, otherwise I'll have to make some show of interest and my acting isn't good.

It's odd because I go all unnecessarily gooey over baby critters (excluding anything exceeding the four leg limit).

These fluffy things seemed to be making everyone who saw them happy, particularly me.

f5896136-f750-4540-b79d-5b066601b0f1.JPG

All together now, aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It's amazing the affect they have,there were a few ducklings following the mum going towards Bordeaux in the road a couple of weeks ago and the traffic was following them at a distance yet all the lycra clad 'we own the road' on pushers get abuse :hmmm:,wonder why...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

It's amazing the affect they have,there were a few ducklings following the mum going towards Bordeaux in the road a couple of weeks ago and the traffic was following them at a distance yet all the lycra clad 'we own the road' on pushers get abuse :hmmm:,wonder why...

The ducks have more road sense?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

I don't get the fuss over babies.

Small podgy blobs with a shape more like an animated novelty balloon rather than a proper human; they have limitless odious secretions; unnecessary annoying decibel levels and the conversational skills of a turnip.

I'm about ready to like kids when they're past twenty and ready to move out.

When our own grand-sprogs hatch I hope that something will kick-in that will change this state of affairs, otherwise I'll have to make some show of interest and my acting isn't good.

It's odd because I go all unnecessarily gooey over baby critters (excluding anything exceeding the four leg limit).

These fluffy things seemed to be making everyone who saw them happy, particularly me.

All together now, aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Well done Gorby that is a picture and a half.

• Like 2

Sitting in the garden with a bottle of Hobgoblin ale and realising that its over six weeks since you last smoked a fag and you dont actually miss them! 😉

Regards

Steve

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Amo Aero said:

A simple happiness for me: to sit down at the workbench on a Saturday morning and do some modeling. It gives me a warm feeling, remembering those carefree days of childhood.

To be honest I think that is why many of us do it.

Certainly in my situation at least.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gorby said:

Don't worry Gorby. When the little man comes along (other genders are available) and he climbs up onto the settee next to you, snuggles up and says "I love you Granddad", I defy you not to be interested. That's when you suddenly find that you've got a bit of grit in your eye.

John.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Don't worry Gorby. When the little man comes along (other genders are available) and he climbs up onto the settee next to you, snuggles up and says "I love you Granddad", I defy you not to be interested. That's when you suddenly find that you've got a bit of grit in your eye.

John.

I can only hope.

I always said that my sense of smell was too good for me to be a dad. Mrs. Gorby had two sprogs when I first me her, so, thankfully I missed the larval stage of that generation.

Incidentally, in the family I'm affectionately (I hope) referred to as 'Grumps', so this thread truly is my natural habitat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/27/2018 at 6:25 PM, PhoenixII said:

Amen.

Thinking of my eighteen month old Grandson, diagnosed with AML Leukemia, started his first five weeks of Chemo today.....:crying:

Sorry - only just seen your post but wanted to add my best wishes for the little fella too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

Sorry - only just seen your post but wanted to add my best wishes for the little fella too!

Thanks for the good wishes Brian, 'tis appreciated.

Some good news, he's off the antibiotics and the fluid infusion (:hmmm:shades of masterchef??) as kidney function is back to normal,

but poor little blighter is on chemo three times a day for five weeks off a week then it starts all over again, for six months.

I'm waiting for the day this is all just a bad memory.

Paul

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

John.

Yes when one Grandson sits one side re-modelling your ear. Another the other side giving you a weird hairdo with another trying to pull your shoes off.

Another banging away on his dratted drums.

Then you think a bit of me in all of them. Then you think poor little fellows. No, the little devils. I love it.

Laurie

• Like 4