How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

5 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Chris, one TWO questions...........WHY is the can of Coke in shot?

Obviously this is the second 'measure' from the bottle, was the Coke for the other half? :whistle:

About 1/3 Cappy, the rest is Coke, thereabouts. I just eyeball it.

Chris

I'm content  (some say I'm a grumpy old sod but most of that's an act!)

Perhaps it's an age thing when you have had so many happy events that there are too many to list. I'm fortunate that the happy list is longer than the other.

I couldn't resist adding this to the thread though

Vintage-RAF-Royal-Air-Force-Happiness-Is

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Re: Measures - If rum doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough rum...

It's good for what ails you. If nothing ails you, it's good for that, too.

Chris

• Like 3

On 12/02/2018 at 7:10 PM, Scimitar said:

I'm content  (some say I'm a grumpy old sod but most of that's an act!)

Perhaps it's an age thing when you have had so many happy events that there are too many to list. I'm fortunate that the happy list is longer than the other.

I couldn't resist adding this to the thread though

Vintage-RAF-Royal-Air-Force-Happiness-Is

I remember some of those stickers. I had a couple and still have a '208 penetrate' somewhere I got from some aircrew at a show. Happy days of airshows with big static parks and lots of modelling and book stalls. One of the best was Finningley in 1990 (I think) when the IPMS branch I used to be in put a big display. Had free entry and was fed courtesy of the RAF, but was a long day.

• Like 3

These machines make me happy... what I've caught this year so far, and all 'new' to me.. as in I've never photographed these particular ones before... UR-CNT is an amusing registration.

(All at Birmingham Airport)

225635.jpg

225311.jpg

223906.jpg

• Like 4

@Radleigh I distinctly remember chuckling to myself  after hearing  what was obviously a Russian heavy fly over, checked FR24 and saw the registration. My inner schoolboy was most amused!

Those Antonovs don't half make a racket!

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne.

The 9 year old fell off the monkey bars at school yesterday. Arriving at emergency, being triaged, x-rayed, examined and treated for a fractured wrist, to leaving took  less than an hour and a half. Amazingly efficient.

Also the school principal was awesome - including driving us to the hospital.

And all the great people I work with whose attitude when any of us has to drop everything and deal with these things is ‘go and do what you’ve got to do, how can I help?’

A difficult day made much better by good people.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

smooth cat's ear

Just had to Google that.

Not to worry, it's not my job to weed the local park. :wink:

(I just clear the bloody rubbish)

Afraid it may not be spring yet Gorby. For some reason the best kept secret at the moment is "The Beast from the East". No-one I know has heard of it but this weather front is possibly going to plunge us into winter again throughout Europe and the UK for at least a week.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Afraid it may not be spring yet Gorby. For some reason the best kept secret at the moment is "The Beast from the East". No-one I know has heard of it but this weather front is possibly going to plunge us into winter again throughout Europe and the UK for at least a week.

Thanks for that Beardie, just had a look at the coming weather. :cold:

I hope you don't loose any sleep over ruthlessly trampling on my dreams.

(not really, I like it cold and bright, it's the dismal rainy days that get me down).

• Haha 2

@lasermonkey I agree about reed beds living in the fens I’ve got loads to look at! My garden bird feeders have been covered in Goldfinches this winter, 24 at once being the highest I’ve counted. My late mother always called them ‘pretty birds’ especially during her dementia. The other special bird to me is the Yellowhammer, the first bird my father taught me the call of. Since moving out of the tourist hell called Cambridge I now see lots and always think of dad. 

My Border Collie, Domino a 12 year old rescue dog always makes me happy. Walking him is a real antidote to life’s stresses.

Edited by GordonM
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, GordonM said:

@lasermonkey I agree about reed beds living in the fens I’ve got loads to look at! My garden bird feeders have been covered in Goldfinches this winter, 24 at once being the highest I’ve counted. My late mother always called them ‘pretty birds’ especially during her dementia. The other special bird to me is the Yellowhammer, the first bird my father taught me the call of. Since moving out of the tourist hell called Cambridge I now see lots and always think of dad. 

My Border Collie, Domino a 12 year old rescue dog always makes me happy. Walking him is a real antidote to life’s stresses.

Couldn't agree more. Walking with my Setter around the woodlands and forests around me is a real stress reliever. I especially enjoy our night time walks. We usually have the forest to ourselves except for the deer and foxes.

• Like 2

Four pages in and no-one has mentioned this:

Also, apart from some of the things mentioned in the song (which also makes me happy), a Fender Jaguar played loud through a Deluxe Reverb or a Twin with loads of reverb and a smidgen of tremolo and, Spitfires.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 6

On 09/02/2018 at 2:03 PM, John_W said:

Just got my marks back for the first two modules of my Master (eight to do in total, plus a dissertation).

63% and 65% with a pass mark of 50%.

I haven't written an essay in thirty years, so quite pleased with myself.

Especially the 63%. That was on Ethics and I thought I was just going to scrape through...

Good work, I was another late returnee to academic work. With those sort of marks for your first modules you should do well - I found it got easier as I went along.

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

Thanks for that Beardie, just had a look at the coming weather. :cold:

I hope you don't loose any sleep over ruthlessly trampling on my dreams.

(not really, I like it cold and bright, it's the dismal rainy days that get me down).

We're on the upside down bit to you Gorbs, we are slowly going into winter down sarf here. Been raining on and off for a week, forecast for another week, but its still 25 deg C :) 

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Four pages in and no-one has mentioned this:

My god Beard, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, man that takes me waaaaaaaaaay back, I had all his singles ( singles, for all the non oldies were big black cd like things that we used to play with sabre tooth tiger needles on wind up record players :) ) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

In fact, almost any flying machine with a Merlin.

Or Griffon!

About a quarter of a century ago we used to own a small hotel in Buxton, Derbyshire. Out of the blue, we had a phone call to ask us to accommodate as

many ex WAAFS as we could for their reunion. We closed our bookings to accept as many of these lovely old ladies as we could. They came mainly from GB, USA, Canada just for this reunion. 

The culmination of their weekend was a march in the Pavilion Garden which was a must attend for us. As we were walking down to the Gardens I heard that unmistakable sound of a Merlin overhead. It was a Spitfire that circled the Gardens while the WAAFS were marching and came lower to dip his wing at the end of their march.

We owned the hotel for a number of years and always set aside all the rooms for the WAAFS reunion. Sadly, the years took their toll on the Ladies able to attend and eventually the reunion was cancelled. 

Mmmm the sound of a Merlin. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

......singles, for all the non oldies were big black cd like things that we used to play with sabre tooth tiger needles on wind up record players :) 

Steve, there ya have it, THAT'S why the youngest keeps on about the 'olden days', you owd  :clif: crock, fancy remembering the sabre tooth needle!

• Like 1

This could easily go in the pet peeves thread except for the ending..

On my way home the other night, I'm in medium traffic, when some jerk in a Dodge Challenger comes screeching up behind me, honks at me to get out of his way (I got nowhere to go), squawks his tyres pulling around me into the oncoming lane, zigs and zags through traffic ahead of me and disappears into the distance ahead leaving a line of annoyed drivers in his wake.

Then,

About a mile further along, I see cop lights flashing ahead and cruise past to see him and his girlfriend up against the car with a cop doing a frisk.

Apparently he had dinged the cop on his way past and the police were quite upset with him...:police:

Occasionally there IS justice it would seem...

• Haha 3