How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

Warmth!

After a week of being cold, the new boiler has been installed and my smile has returned.

What fool said 'you can't buy happiness'. Apparently £2,000 can get you a near equivalent. :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Sitting outside somewhere warm with a good view and a glass of wine and some nibbles and not having to rush. 

Listening to some music I like or an audio book (can stay awake listening to books rather than reading - see below) without being distracted. 

Anything modelling related. 

Being alive after a stroke, that although messed my job up, I have recovered enough to do most things, at the time did not think I could model, but turns it the hobby was good therapy. Very weird looking at a camouflage pattern and not being able to make any sense of it. 

• Like 6

Well I can't deny that a good grumble makes me happy :laugh: 

Many things do make me happy too though from crazy alien documentaries to learning about the weirdness of the universe to just watching the rain or snow falling outside my window or making musical (sort of) noises on a variety of musical instruments. If I am honest I have never deliberately made music for anyone else to listen to, it is solely for my own enjoyment and, if others like it that is just a by-product. I have never been big on trying to please others.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

The "More Pet Hates grumble grumble grumble"   thread is winning...

:cheers:

That's because we're Brits (I think you will find that the vast majority of grumblers are Brits). It's part of our proud national heritage, the unswerving ability to snatch misery from the jaws of contentment.

Just off to the grumble thread for a bit of a moan.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Gorby said:

That's because we're Brits (I think you will find that the vast majority of grumblers are Brits). It's part of our proud national heritage, the unswerving ability to snatch misery from the jaws of contentment.

Just off to the grumble thread for a bit of a moan.

If that's the case, then we really should have a grumbling tournament between Brits and Czechs.

I've lived among Czechs since 2004 and as much as I love the people and culture, they are a black humoured, pessimistic lot if ever there was one.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Gorby said:

Warmth!

After a week of being cold, the new boiler has been installed and my smile has returned.

What fool said 'you can't buy happiness'. Apparently £2,000 can get you a near equivalent. :D

Couldn't agree more re the boiler, nothing more miserable than being cold.

• Like 3

Hi

being able to buy tesco branded uk made food :)

in my local 'save on foods' store in vancouver, canada :) 

I am making the most of it just incase the trade deals change in the future 

cheers

jerry

9 hours ago, upnorth said:

If that's the case, then we really should have a grumbling tournament between Brits and Czechs.

I've lived among Czechs since 2004 and as much as I love the people and culture, they are a black humoured, pessimistic lot if ever there was one.

Aha!

That explains it!

My family is Czech on my mothers side.

No wonder I'm a gloomy grumbling sod...:raincloud::emo:

• Haha 2

Things that make me happy:

that at this thread exists. A bit more positivity on the interwebs is a good thing.

learning a new, interesting and useless fact. For example that the impact that killed the dinosaurs is estimated to have triggered a 100m high tsunami, but if it had hit deep water it would have been over 4km high.

Trying to cook something I’ve never tried before, and it working.  Ditto new modelling techniques.

Removing masks from a model and finding that no paint has leaked underneath.

the kids saying something unintentionally hilarious. A recent example:

H: do you know what a salami is?

me: yes it’s a kind of sausage

H: no it’s a really big wave

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just got my marks back for the first two modules of my Master (eight to do in total, plus a dissertation).

63% and 65% with a pass mark of 50%.

I haven't written an essay in thirty years, so quite pleased with myself.

Especially the 63%. That was on Ethics and I thought I was just going to scrape through...

• Like 8

Happiness was standing outside on a former RAF base in Lincolnshire today, in the freezing weather while watching my mates compete on a rally.

It was a good day.

• Like 4

Listening to my autistic son having a conversation yesterday made me happy. There was a time when we thought he’d never be able to do that. 

Also so the premier league table this morning looks pretty good from my perspective!

• Like 7

On 10/02/2018 at 1:03 AM, John_W said:

Just got my marks back for the first two modules of my Master (eight to do in total, plus a dissertation).

63% and 65% with a pass mark of 50%.

I haven't written an essay in thirty years, so quite pleased with myself.

Especially the 63%. That was on Ethics and I thought I was just going to scrape through...

Congratulations! I admire anyone who has the motivation to go back to studying after so long. Good luck with the other 6 and the dissertation.

• Thanks 1

I've recently started to make my way through the British Pathe news reels on youtube. Really enjoying them too. Also like the Rank 'look at life' short films. Came across a magnificent short film from WWII showing Valentine Tanks being built and tested. Helps me switch off after a manic day at work B)

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 3

Over the weekend, members of the Czech biathlon team took a bronze and a silver medal at the Olympics.

I was quite happy to see it and happy for them. It's been a rather rough season for the team and they deserved a reward for their perseverance.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2018 at 12:14 AM, dogsbody said:

This usually makes me smile.

Cappy

Chris

Chris, one TWO questions...........WHY is the can of Coke in shot?

Obviously this is the second 'measure' from the bottle, was the Coke for the other half? :whistle:

Edited by PhoenixII
accuracy!