How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

While it can be cathartic to get things off your chest, how about a thread about those things that bring a little joy into our lives to redress the balance?

I don't mind getting the ball rolling.

The backstory:

I have a brain that doesn't know when to stop. As a kid, I'd occasionally have fits. This ended up with me in hospital, hooked up to an EEG machine. The doctor told my parents that my brain was hyperactive and would overload when things got too much, resulting in the fits. These fits subsided as I grew older, but the over active brain is something I still have to live with. It makes it hard to concentrate on anything, almost impossible to relax and getting to sleep can be tortuous at times. As you might imagine, I'm an insomniac.

Over the past decade or so the Mrs and I have been spending more and more time out in the countryside or at nature reserves. I've always loved nature ever since I was a kid, thanks to a junior school which encouraged us to take the time to look at the wildlife. When we are out in the wild, with little in the way of man-made sound and only the local critters to keep us company, I find that the "white noise" that is usually blaring away inside my head fades away and suddenly, I can truly relax. It's an incredibly profound experience and I always come away feeling as if my batteries have been recharged, so to speak. Although the long walks can wear me out for a couple of days (I also have ME), I always feel so much better in myself afterwards. It's no wonder that we are planning to move somewhere much more rural than we currently live.

I have found that my favourite places are looking out over reed beds. I doubt that I've ever been happier that watching the sunlight dance across the top of the reeds on a balmy summer evening, watching marsh harriers, barn owls, kingfishers and, if you're really lucky, a short eared owl or some bearded tits (no sniggering at the back!). If we are at Lakenheath Fen, the occasional F-15 or V-22 will also bring a smile to my face. Noisy, yes, but they're aeroplanes, so are exempt!

How about you?

Cheers,

Mark, hoping someone else gets the Ren and Stimpy reference.

• Like 12

After I retired a few years ago, I was allowed able to take over the spare bedroom and convert it to my mancave.  Now, with all my spare time, I can go into the room and research and/or build models all day long.  I get immense pleasure in tickling the plastic, or just googling on my PC, for information about a build (although I have found that nothing beats the information provided from BM members when I request it).  Weird thing is though, my output doesn't appear to have improved at all, although I am a prime case for the next KUTA, and the one after!

Mike

• Like 6

Finishing a project.

After all the curse inspiring complications and setbacks, the things that don't work the way they are supposed to, the screw ups, mistakes, and accidents.

Doing the last little bit, then sitting back and looking at the finished work  is amazingly satisfiying.

A small bonus of knowing someone is going to pay for all that work is the gravy on top.

Then it's on to the next one because you don't have time to sit on your chunk you lazy bugger...

• Like 3

Afternoon Chaps :bye:

Nothing makes me happier than sitting on a veranda somewhere down by the coast, couple of books or magazines, sitting there listening too and watching the sea.... :) 

Even though I have been accused of being a grumpy old fart, (namely by the other residents of Chez Mad) there are those odd days where that little ray of sunshine pokes through the clouds of old fartydom and makes one smile and feel contented. 

Moreover it'll be my kids... They are imports (step daughters) as Mad Mrs 1.0 wasn't forthcoming in the child department, so the day that they were adopted and they called me dad for the first time.... :crying:

Nowadays its far less soppy, and i'm happy just finishing a kit without effing it up :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Having decided that there weren't currently any kits on my wants list only far too many in the stash, but there were paints and books I wanted; happiness is going to a model show (in this case Bolton), enjoying it and coming back with paints, books, and transfers but no extra models.

Less happy is having left the unexpected Platz A-26s on the stand without confirmation that they are going to do French options later.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2

Many, many things.  Too numerous to mention, but it goes without saying (even though I'm saying it now) that modelling is one of them.  I also get a lot of happiness from my family & animals, and not forgetting my few friends :)  they're not bad for people with bad taste ^_^ Tech makes me happy too... new greeblies or gadgets are always welcome, and getting them all to work with eachother is something I find immensely satisfying, so the Internet of Things (IoT) and If This Then That (IFTT - pronounced "Ift") is great fun to have a muck about with.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm off to polish my halo, and see if I can connect it by Bluetooth to my phone ;)

• Like 2

As Mike says, many things make me happy, but if I'm feeling down, there is one thing that always cheers me up. I know your not a fan @lasermonkey, but dogs press my 'happy' button.

Very often those 'Human Being' things confuse the hell out of me, but I seem to have a special bond with dogs. A happy dog radiates joy and I always get pleasure from their company. :dog:

• Like 9

I'm never happier than when the Grandchildren come round, it's like having your kids all over again! 

Mind you I haven't got the stamina I had when my three were young! :o

I'll be popping out to stay with my middle son in Florida shortly and the time I spend with him and my daughter in law is precious too. 

I also enjoy sitting down with a guitar and bashing out a few tunes which I find really restful, conversely I find model kits can be quite stressful sometimes. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

conversely I find model kits can be quite stressful sometimes.

Me too. I do wonder why I do it sometimes, for example: Today I have been mostly masking canopies.:angry:Many very sort words have been said with much emphasis :swear: and as we only have a Mon to Fri loan dog now, there isn't a furry stress buster to hand. :(

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

......... happiness is going to a model show (in this case Bolton),

Going to shows is another happy thing for me also  but I haven't been to a show since early 2016 and I would have really liked to have gone to the Bolton Show.  I even had a couple of completed kits that I wanted to display on the 144 SIG table but swmbo has a cold and couldn't share the driving from Zumerzet.   I'm sure that meeting up with you Graham, and Depressed Lemur; plus the 144 SIG guys, would have been another happy event for  me.

Mike

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

There, fixed it for you.

I'm slowly getting there but people have an uncanny knack of phoning/ringing doorbell/just turning up etc when i'm trying to watch a film or even an hour long docu,reading a book or anything not a peep and it's bloody annoying...

• Like 1

How do chaps,

Apart from being in the shed playing with plastic, I really like to sit out in the garden on a summers eve with a good book and a nice bottle or two of 'mucky' beer. If I'm lucky I will have a visit from one of the friendly neighbourhood moggies for a fuss too. :cat:

Regards,

Steve

• Like 8

Obviously being in the shed.

Sitting back from a completed model & thinking "that's alright that is." (Doesn't happen too often).

A good bacon sandwich, done properly, after that last night shift at the start of rota days.

A cold beer, when you really need/deserve it.

Being stood on 42nd street outside Grand Central & feeling stunned at it all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

It's no wonder that we are planning to move somewhere much more rural than we currently live.

Do it, Mark. I moved from the Big Smoke (Sydney) to the country three years ago, and it was almost the best thing I've ever done (after getting married, that is). I'm now sitting in splendid isolation on 6 acres about 15 kms out of town - no noise, no traffic, no exhaust fumes, no intrusive neighbours, none of the things that were driving me bats in the city. Try it - you'll love it!

• Like 4

Other peoples misery. That's what I often reply when asked. Those who know me will understand my varied sense of humour. Actually this one springs to mind; when I pay my toll on the Tamar bridge and that barrier goes up it means I have reached the safety of the last county in England.

Edited by Darby
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Do it, Mark. I moved from the Big Smoke (Sydney) to the country three years ago, and it was almost the best thing I've ever done (after getting married, that is). I'm now sitting in splendid isolation on 6 acres about 15 kms out of town - no noise, no traffic, no exhaust fumes, no intrusive neighbours, none of the things that were driving me bats in the city. Try it - you'll love it!

8 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

It's no wonder that we are planning to move somewhere much more rural than we currently live.

There's rural, and there's remote. If you want to get away from it all...

resized_702188ee-d43c-49d1-b21a-26330521

The next nearest inhabited location is Pitcairn, pop: 45.

• Like 4

I can't deny that I get a lot of pleasure from being truly alone for at least a few hours. Back when I was a lot fitter I liked nothing more than packing a rucksack, grabbing my walking poles and heading up onto the moors aiming for the remotest part with the least likelihood of seeing another soul. Ideally you want to be at least fifteen miles from the nearest tarmac road, not easy even in Scotland but worth it.

• Like 4

Quite a few things make me happy...

Visiting my girlfriend's uncle's wine cellar in the south of the country is great. We get out there maybe once or twice a year and it's a great time always.

Exploring some of the lesser known nooks and crannies of the Czech Republic that the tourist information never tells you about is also very enjoyable to me.

I'm also very happy that I have a couple of decently varied annual airshows within reach to attend. When I read posts from people in America and Britain complaining how their local shows have either ceased to be or have become shadows of their former selves, I know how lucky I am to have a couple of good ones available to me with regularity.

I also enjoy going to my local airport for a bit of spotting when I have the rare weekday off.

My two blogs that I started five years ago have brought me a great deal of unexpected happiness and satisfaction. Not only do a good number of people visit them daily and enjoy them, I also learn a great deal about the subjects I write about when I do the research for my entries. When one of my Czech friends reads something on my blog about the Czech Republic and says "You know more about my country than I do." It puts a smile on my face. :-)

I enjoy a nice cold beer in an outdoor beer garden or restaurant terrace in the summer months. So much the better if I have a good book to read.

As my work involves a lot of communication, I have developed a great appreciation for moments of silence. My girlfriend is the sort who needs some "background noise" so the TV or radio is always on when she's home. I do savour very much those times when I get home from work before she does and I open the door of the flat to, save the hum of the refrigerator, complete silence. I just stand there in the entry of the flat for a few moments with the lights still off and let it wash over me.

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 5

A decent pint of Beer in a pub, with character, followed by another. (Back in the UK...).

Watching the avian life here, (132 different species spotted in 11 months!). Plus any other non-Homo sapiens  sapiens forms.

My bench and man-cave

Wagner's Ring Cycle.

Britmodeller.

Walking, especially mountains, highlands and moorlands.

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 6

3 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

A decent pint of Beer in a pub, with character, followed by another. (Back in the UK...).

Watching the avian life here, (132 different species spotted in 11 months!). Plus any other non-Homo sapiens  sapiens forms.

My bench and man-cave

Wagner's Ring Cycle.

Britmodeller.

Walking, especially mountains, highlands and moorlands.

One lives is Dar and one did not even mention the beautiful beaches..... You are truely a local :) 

(Might have something to do with the 473657 people on said beaches :) ) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MAD STEVE said:

One lives is Dar and one did not even mention the beautiful beaches..... You are truely a local :) 

(Might have something to do with the 473657 people on said beaches :) ) 

Nah, just the raw sewage, hospital waste and occasional corpse...

From where I type this missive, the Indian Ocean is over there, (waving hand in a general manner), just under the mile away and about as close as I want to get. Better stop now before I get redirected to the grumble page...

And to halt any tectonic movement away from this thread; Cadbury's chocolate and Yorkshire Tea!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2