Boeing 737-300 - WP's Simpsons #FINISHED#

nimrod54

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:48, nimrod54 said:

Does anybody know what the two little moulded sections to the rear of the pods are for? You can clearly see one in the above photo, at the rear of the pod (near to the moulded circle) the second, less prominent one is further back and nearer to the pylon attachment point. They are only on the inner faces and appear to line up with the little strake, so I am wondering if it is something to help improve the airflow in this area. I don't think that they are moulding flaws but I thought that I would check to see if they should be there before I 'merrily have a go at 'em wiv a sanding stick'. :winkgrin:

Any help/advice would be welcome.

They are just metal rods attached to the cowl that push back the Krueger flap,(the Inside one) when the engines are put into reverse and the cowl moves back, by that time the flap lift isn't needed, if that makes sense, and if you really want to be a super detailist, then the top of them should have the paint worn off ;) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Graeme H said:

They are just metal rods attached to the cowl that push back the Krueger flap,(the Inside one) when the engines are put into reverse and the cowl moves back, by that time the flap lift isn't needed, if that makes sense, and if you really want to be a super detailist, then the top of them should have the paint worn off ;) 

Thanks for the info Graeme, that has gently blown my airflow theory out of the water. :lol:

I spent some time tidying up the upper wing root joins yesterday and here are the results of that work so far. The port wing required a little more filler than the stbd side, which only needed a wipe of Deluxe Materials plastic putty along the join.

39068553300_836bdccefb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40836631462_e1830d8e53_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Here are the leading edges, clearly there is a bit more work to be done here.

40836630772_2bbb68c1c6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39068554390_18c626922f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And finally the underside joins which have had no filler applied but will need a couple of small gaps sorting out.

39068553710_dcf26fd51c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39068552350_01cf107e81_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This is the best result that I can achieve, but overall it's not too bad, I made constant checks and minor fit adjustments to get to this though. With a bit more work I should be able to call that job finished, and you can see I have also had an initial test fit of the engines, so that's another step towards some colour.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I see some round stock pieces in the wheel wells, what are their purpose, John?

Ray, they are a part of the kit moulding and if you look back at the photo that Graeme kindly posted at post #23 you can see them in the undercarriage bay. May be something to do with the hydraulic systems in that area? Someone suggested that I try to add some extra detail pipework in there too. :lalala:

5 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

OK, thanks John

I just wondered as this is the first B737 kit I have seen them in, the Revell kit does not have them I am pretty sure.

It's the first time I have seen them in a kit too, in fact I almost cut them out. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I started to get some colour on today, the wings have been painted with Racking Grey (sorry, I forgot to photograph this stage) and they were then masked with paper and tape before adding a couple of coats of yellow primer to the fuselage, my apologies to @Hockeyboy76, but I thought that this would be a better choice than pink, I am keeping that for a future build. 

26052550417_07257d0dc5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I'll give this a sand before I start to add the top colour.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Made a start adding the yellow on the fuselage. I thought that I had bought the paint for this, but I can't find it in the box that I keep them in so I have had to find an alternative and decided to go with Tamiya X-8 Lemon Yellow. The decal instructions give Humbrol Lemon Yellow as a clos match so I thought that the X-8 should be near enough. It has gone on well with the only setback being that I have run out of paint, and whilst it looks OK under the lamp, when viewed in natural light it is patchy in places, so it will need another coat to even everything up.

40968862781_2db83a624c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40968862501_4dd16154c4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40968862161_08c12ae472_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That reminds me, add bananas to the shopping list!😂

I had exactly the same thought, and was about to post it!

Looks like you have a nice smooth finish John. Mind you don't put a bend in that fuselage now!

John

• Haha 1

WARNING! EYE PROTECTION REQUIRED.

I managed to go over this with some Humbrol Lemon Yellow today and it seems to have evened things out, hopefully it should look a bit less like a banana and more of a lemon now. :winkgrin: I've removed the wing masking and I will now let the paint harden off for a few days before a polish, followed by a clear coat.

26157416467_b2859a1278_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Now to search for a suitable blue for the engines and pylons.

• Like 9

@Jabba, @Hockeyboy76 and @Viking

Thanks for your comments gents, I hope that your eyes have now recovered from the glare. :winkgrin:

Not having the recommended Daco paint for the engines and pylons in my stocks, I had a search through for a near match to the decals and came across some Old Sabena Blue which looked pretty close. The engine painting was completed with this and after leaving them for a couple of days the intake rings were added. I'll leave them a bit longer to allow the paint to harden off properly, but that will give me some time to mask off and apply the same colour to the pylons.

41112739222_678350291a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40443853084_7786a06b78_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Looking at the above photo, I have noticed that there is a bit of remedial work required on the top edge of the port intake ring, I'll try to correct it with some canopy glue, and touch up where necessary.

• Like 6

That blue looks to be a pretty good match John.  I understand that it is now out of production from Daco, with only the darker Sabena blue still available.

I would have posted earlier, but it has taken until now for my eyes to re-adjust after the glare.  Off to see if I can find a welders mask on e-bay ready for the RFI thread.

Chris.

• Haha 1

Mini update time.

I managed to get this masked up earlier today in preparation for some more 'Old Sabena Blue' over the pylons, I then airbrushed some colour on mid-afternoon. I'll see how it is drying later and may carefully remove the masking, if it is touch dry, later tonight, otherwise it will be a job for tomorrow 

27426243958_4e941086a6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

On 08/04/2018 at 7:37 AM, Graeme H said:

Yes very neat painting, really coming along now, can't wait for the stickers to go

Sure is, great masking result after the tape came off John

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
Don't know how to finish a sentence off!
  • Like 1