Air China Olympics scheme 737-800 1/200

bianfuxia

I flew on this plane several times as I used to shuttle up and down between Beijing and Shanghai a lot around 2008-09. The decals are from Draw Decals and the kit is one the mods kindly allowed me to add to the group build as it's only had the fuselage joined and wings added.

20180128_215428_resized.jpg

20180128_215443_resized.jpg

I used to have a few pics of the plane as we'd often board via bus on a far-flung part of the airport but they were on my Blackberry when I had to give it back when I left that job.

• Like 4

I do like Chinese liveried aircraft, I have a Dragon Boeing 747 China Air to build one day, so I shall be looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

As an aside,  I also have a Boeing 737 which is in very much the same stage as yours:

b737_01.jpg

I'm now wondering if I can get this accepted for the GB?   I think it is an Airfix B737-200, although I'm not sure as it doesn't have a box, decals or instructions......  I think I have a rather large carpet monster under my bench! :spider:

Mike

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, not a lot to report for me as I've been away on holidays. But...this and my P-8 and other 737 build have now all been sanded enough (well, to my satisfaction) and ready for spray painting. Not going to post a picture yet as there's not a lot to see.

Next thing I guess is to build the engines and paint up the undercarriage ready for installation. It's still pretty cold here so I think I will hold off on the spray painting for a few weeks. 

• 4 weeks later...

Cool! I got my two 737s sprayed today, came home from work at lunch to do it (I live pretty close). Sprayed a few other things too, as it was finally warm enough. Ill post pics after the second coat which is hopefully tomorrow...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, just as I thought I'd only get the Purple Peacock build finished, I unpeeled the tape off this one's wings and tried the DrawDecals wing markings. They worked very well, much better than I was imagining (just because they're aftermarket and different, not because I'd heard anything negative). I discovered that, unlike the Purple Peacock, the side of the plane is basically one long decal. So in theory it should be much faster than the other build which took ages of painstaking application marking by marking.

So, I reckon I might also get this one finished.

IMG_20180502_141252_resized_20180502_021

I do need to do something about the wingtips though. It has standard ones not winglets but - of course - the kit doesn't come with them.

• Like 1

Yes, I decided to do that actually; split it into two pieces at the emergency exits. These Draw Decals are easy to work with in some ways but they curl and tangle like cling wrap! It was a bit of a learning curve but I finished one side tonight.

IMG_20180502_231058_resized_20180502_111

• Like 4

• 1 month later...