Boeing P-8A Poseidon 1/200

bianfuxia

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I have seen one of these finished in RAAF markings, interested in seeing how it goes together.

Draw Decals has markings for RAAF ones, I think.

I wonder most about how accurate this is - as far as I can see it's just the 737-800 kit with an extra sprue. It does include different wingtips but who knows whether the overall kit really matches the precise layout of the P-8 (closest to a 737-800ERX right)? I don't mind a bit because it's 1/200 anyway but out of general interest I'm curious. 

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Mind if I follow your build ? Im considering one of these for a future purchase.

Of course! Please do. It's a great little kit & knowing Hasegawa they will pump out other boxings as more countries and US units get the plane

18 minutes ago, bianfuxia said:

Draw Decals has markings for RAAF ones, I think.

I wonder most about how accurate this is - as far as I can see it's just the 737-800 kit with an extra sprue. It does include different wingtips but who knows whether the overall kit really matches the precise layout of the P-8 (closest to a 737-800ERX right)? I don't mind a bit because it's 1/200 anyway but out of general interest I'm curious. 

Yes, Draw has a sheet for the RAAF P-8 as well as an Adelaide based manufacturer called DekLs. I have a prototype 1/72 sheet from DekLs for my Welsh P-8.

The RAAF one I saw was built by a RAAFie who is working on the P-8 project. He was pretty happy with the outcome.

• Like 1

IMG_20180204_221327.jpg

IMG_20180204_225818.jpg

That is the additional sprue to do the P-8. The kit doesn't come with the upturned wingtips of a regular 737 though. I'd hoped I'd get a spare pair (I need one for an A320 I'm doing...).

Here comes last night's progress:

IMG_20180204_223454.jpg

IMG_20180204_221342.jpg

IMG_20180204_221600.jpg

IMG_20180204_223857.jpg

IMG_20180204_230120.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

I'm actually semi-confident I can get this one done on time just because the paint and decals will be pretty quick. But first I have to get rid of the civilian features like the overwing exits and rear doors, as well as the cargo hatches.

IMG_20180426_124602.jpg

• Like 3

Good to see a start.

Just for reference, the P-8 retains the forward under-floor cargo compartment and the left-hand rear door. Also a single overwing exit at each wing. I think the kit supplies decals for the outlines of these doors and the cargo door so you should be ok removing the engraved versions.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...