Airfix Vulcan

Here’s my interpretation of the old Airfix Vulcan. A bit of a dog of a kit but with a bit of effort I think it builds quite well. I rescribed it as best I could and did a bit of creative licence to fill the empty wheel wells; I got the kit cheap because it didn’t have decals so I replaced them with the Xtradecal camouflaged Vulcan sheet. I like this particular scheme and the sheet has enough stencils for another full build plus lots of squadron markings allowing you to get up to half a dozen aircraft out of one sheet - that’s value.

There’s still a bit of snagging to take care of - I want to redo the nav windows as they look a bit naff at the moment and there’s a couple of aerials I’ve snapped off already, but apart from that it’s pretty much done. The main problem is finding somewhere to display it. I’ve photographed it on QRA on top of my coal bunker - it nearly ended up in pieces thanks to a rogue gust of wind and the massive wing area. The panel lines are a bit on the deep side but I’ve tried to minimalise that with light touch weathering, on top at least.

694930E6-D19D-4353-A88A-7BF6F3594B1E

DD7BC613-4BA9-47C1-8A9C-DBDE53C7907B

3605F7EE-29CF-4EB6-945F-A2B0756F2216

0F2FCA1D-26AD-422F-99D8-6555B0E6D84A

15DE4AFD-4C2A-4D27-813F-CEB9379B1384

B29FA83C-001A-43A3-AC44-C5244755DC08

• Like 61
  • Thanks 1

Hello,Goggsy - A wonderful job on a wonderful aircraft.I remember watching the 9 Squadron Vulcans at Waddington and this fine build brings back great memories for me.

😉👍All The Best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Panel lines were done with a tamiya scribes mostly, with a pin in a vice for smaller details, As a guide I used tamiya scribing tape for curved areas and a steel rule taped down for flat areas.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Goggsy - A wonderful job on a wonderful aircraft.I remember watching the 9 Squadron Vulcans at Waddington and this fine build brings back great memories for me.

😉👍All The Best,Paul.

On a bit of a tangent, I remember watching Thunderball as a kid; when the nurse is lying on the bed being massaged by James Bond and she starts moaning about “those damned planes” when the Vulcans are taking off nearby I remember thinking “why isn’t the stupid cow at the window watching them take off instead of loafing around in bed being rubbed by some hairy bloke”. I still think that, to be honest.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

What an impressive Vulcan.

The look of this beast (or should I say Behemoth) is absolutely fantastic and depicts very well

how gigantic this bomber from the sixties was !!

Of course it was not alone, don't forget the Valiant and the Victor !!!

Fantastic job you made there. Great job !!!

:clap2::thumbsup:

:goodjob:

• Like 1

I know, I thought that was odd but it’s in the instructions for some reason. There was one on the opposite side before I knocked it off, it’s one of the things I need to sort. I’ll lose the one off the top anyway.

Nice Vulcan! One of the most impressive aeroplane designs ever built. I'm seriously contemplating snagging me one off of eBay to replace the one I lost years ago. By the way, does anyone know from firsthand experience if the Wolfpack upgrades sets are worth purchasing?

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

I’ve just noticed that TFR thimble looks a bit crappy, have to do something with that.

If there’s one bit of aftermarket I’d definitely invest in it would be the jet pipes. The Airfix ones are just awful. The intakes are a bit of a pain but not too bad if you have some thin sanding sticks and a bit of tamiya basic putty. Time is the biggest investment with this kit.

Beautiful! I love this colour scheme too, with the red, white and blue roundels. Got two Vulcans in my stash, I think I'll do one like this and one white.

What colours did you use specifically? Is it light a/c grey underneath and medium sea grey upper?

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

Cheers, underside is white, top is tamiya XF 81 RAF green and XF83  RAF Med Sea Grey. Probably not 100% accurate but it works for me.  Strictly speaking the finish should be gloss but I personally feel that high gloss can look a bit out of scale; it’s not the gloss itself but what I say reflected in it, ie a huge window etc.

• Like 1