Revell 1:72 McDonnell F-101B Voodoo

This was actually finished at the end of 2017, but PostImage was having some weird security certificate issues. This is part of a long ongoing complete Century Series project ("complete" because it includes the X-103, X-107, X-108 and X-109). I'll be replacing the current Hasegawa F-102 and F-106 with Meng examples. 

This is the Revell kit. I would have preferred a single seater, but the Valom kit was not available when I started building this, and this one was in the stash. The decals came from a Caracal sheet. I probably should have been a homer and done the WA ANG, but I thought the Maine ANG markings were more interesting. The kit went together well enough, though since I had to "un-lower" the wing flaps that was a struggle. But by and large it turned out all right. It does exhibit some of the problems I've been having with Kabuki masking tape lately. It has suddenly developed a tendency to pull up slightly at the edges, allowing paint to seep in. I don't think I've changed by technique, but it has shown up on a couple of recent completions. I used a Master pitot tube; I'm really coming to like those bits. A quick and easy replacement that makes a strong visual difference. 

This is completed aircraft #483 (17 aircraft, 3 ordnance, 14 vehicles for the year 2017), finished in December of 2017.

DSC_0865.jpg

DSC_0864.jpg

• Like 40

Nice job, Kevin!

I too like the Maine ANG markings. I feel much the same way as you; i cannot get excited by the Oregon ANG markings either. A compromise solution for me will be to build an F-102 in the markings of the 460th, with the big tiger on the vertical fin.

I have a 48th scale Monogram F-101B on the Shelf of Doom, and i know exactly what you had to go through to raise the flaps on the model. Personally i think it looks a lot better with the flaps retracted anyway. Same goes for the speed brakes.

Will you make the Contest in Seattle?

Best,

david

On 2/7/2018 at 10:21 AM, David H said:

Will you make the Contest in Seattle?

Best,

david

David: I'm assuming you're talking the IPMS-Seattle Spring Show in April, and not the NWSM display at the Museum of Flight in late February. Yes, I've been going every year since I originally joined the group in the early 90s. Best show in the west that I've been to. I've had some back issues so my time at the show has been limited. I'm trying to schedule a surgery now, but hopefully I won't still be in recovery when the show happens. But even if I have to hobble in, I'll definitely give maximum effort to be there. - Kevin