Eggplant grey/purple!!!

thepureness

Hey peeps

I'm trying to solve a little issue around this modern Russian air force colour of eggplant grey.

I've check a few photos of aircraft and there seems to be different example, some seem a very dark purple, to some that look just dark grey. I know there are a couple of brands of paint out there like akan and mr paint, but I can only really use acrylics due to young children in the house so don't want to be stinking the place with lacquer paint and I've never used akan paints before. I'm testing out mixing some tamiya colours as that is my preferred brand.

Any open ideas peeps

10 hours ago, thepureness said:

I've check a few photos of aircraft and there seems to be different example, some seem a very dark purple, to some that look just dark grey.

The shade seems very prone to weathering / bleaching.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nigel Bunker said:

AKAN do an acyrlic version of this colour.

Yes  it's reference 73166, Coastal Craft may still have this in stock although they are giving up the range, and were discounting them at the Nats. It can be found in set 47335( 100 anniversary of the Russian Air Force).

1 hour ago, thepureness said:

I heard bad things about Hataka, did they improve their paints because i read about nightmares on their first release

Their very first batch had a formulation problem. All good since then and they had the bottle to admit it, and send new paint out to people who bought the bad batch. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I realize that this thread is a year old, but I may have the answer using Tamiya paints.

The Russian color is similar to RAL7015 or FS 36076, but with perhaps a bit more "purple" to it.

I've tried a 50 : 50 mix of XF-63 ( German Grey ) : X-16 ( Purple ) and this is pretty close - I would test different ratios if this does not satisfy you.

Tam. XF-63 is often called FS 36076, BTW.

A useful link to compare the various color measure systems:

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp?cRange=RAL Classic&cRef=RAL 7015&metallic2=False&cDescription=Slate grey

I've set this up to goto RAL7015.

Another visual link:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/299610-two-148-su-34-and-the-winner-is/&page=12

6 hours ago, usetherudders said:

I've got the Vallejo SU25 Frogfoot set, their dark grey eggplant is 71049, this is listed as sea grey/medium sea grey!

Vallejo is wrong - there is a grey seen on helicopters which might be close to MSG.

Mix your own with Tamiya, or go with AKAN, IMHO.

10 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

surprising just how little paints brands have tried to get the russian colours out, got a hasegawa su35 that I would love to paint if they were available, not trying to mix paints again on such a pricey model

AKAN has sets for Su-35S (current scheme). In the Acrylic range it is set 47332. Individually the colors are 73167, 73168 and 73169.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Ah excellent, had looked and could only see a set for the grey camo scheme. 

This is the scheme I am talking about. Just to be sure we're both on the same page...

36556274202_7075b23d99_o

Not boring here. MRP makes the color (see below), although some might disagree with the results. I would also throw caution into the wind when using Akan water based paints (unless they have somehow changed the adhesion levels). Their Lacquer line spray better and the adhesion is eons better than the the water based.

qTUF5Y.jpg

Edited by Blue_Centurion
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2019 at 3:13 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

We are, what I meant was Akan don’t refencence the su35 anywhere on that sets page. 

That's strange. The English version of the label doesn't mention the Su-35, but the Russian description on the official AKAN site does. The Linden Hill site's description mentions the Su-35S specifically for this set.

product_add_pic_11166

On 1/28/2018 at 2:50 PM, Julien said:

Their very first batch had a formulation problem. All good since then and they had the bottle to admit it, and send new paint out to people who bought the bad batch. 

Sorry to add a negative note here but I bought a WWII German paint set when they first came out that was dreadful. I packed it up and sent it back to the company explaining the problem. That was a few years ago now admittedly, but I still have not received a reply or any acknowledgment.  I am sure they have sorted all that out now but I didn’t appreciate them doing their research and development on the public.  Needless to say I haven’t bought any since.  

Both the Akan and MRP paints look great (and great builds btw!). Looks like MRP will give you a better recent paint job, whereas Akan looks a bit faded. I would not mind either. I have been increasingly disappointed by Akan's adhesion problems (acrylic) as they always rub off on the edges. They also tend to be a bit darker than they should though clearly not in this Eggplant shade.

Just a head's up: AK has recently come out with its Real Color Air range and includes Eggplant. They are acrylic lacquers but the smell is quite tolerable, not much worse than Gunze's (the H-range, not the much smellier C-range). They also spray beautifully. I love MRP paints but 1) they're expensive and 2) smell god-awful. At least we now have options!

https://ak-interactive.com/product/dark-eggplant-grey-fs-36076-10ml/