Airfix Blenheim Mk IV

72modeler

Just got the new-tool Airfix Blenheim IV today; feverishly opened the box and pulled out sprues with the wings; it appears to me that Airfix have revised the tooling, as the Bolinbroke nacelle fairings are gone and it looks like they have molded proper Blenheim nacelles! Yeehaw! Am I hallucinating, or have any of you gotten the kit and can confirm that I'm not seeing things? The ventral chin turret is done as a clear piece, which is nice, and I do see the small intake tubes on the exhaust collector cowl rings that are correct for a Boly, but not for a Blenheim are still there, but a snap to fix. Looks like Airfix is to be congratulated for revising the tooling to correct the issues in their earlier Blenheim release. Much obliged, podnahs, as we say here in South Central Texas! Now....what scheme will it be- decisions, decisions!

Mike

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Just got the new-tool Airfix Blenheim IV today; feverishly opened the box and pulled out sprues with the wings; it appears to me that Airfix have revised the tooling, as the Bolinbroke nacelle fairings are gone and it looks like they have molded proper Blenheim nacelles! Yeehaw!

That's fantastic news, except for all those that I've already bought with the bulbous nacelles...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heraldcoupe said:

That's fantastic news, except for all those that I've already bought with the bulbous nacelles...

Tell me about it! I have two of the original release. It would be a nice gesture if  Airfix  would offer the upper wing sprue at a small price so that the biggest shape error in the original boxings could be corrected by all of us who bought them- the other mistakes are pretty easy to fix.  However, I am glad that they saw fit to make new upper wings rather than just reboxing the  original release with a new nose and decals!

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for mentioning this.

Agree, the upper wing correction is great news, and even more reason to now purchase this Mk.IV kit. 

I do have one example of their earlier Mk.1, so how do we all convince Airfix to supply us with a new upper wing - whilst not bankrupting them at the same time?

Cheers.. Dave.

You've made me go and check, it's true, the bulges are much flatter than before.

They are still a bit too broad tho where the ends blend into the upper wing.

Nevertheless an amazing action, never expected they would correct running molds

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks for mentioning this.

Agree, the upper wing correction is great news, and even more reason to now purchase this Mk.IV kit. 

I do have one example of their earlier Mk.1, so how do we all convince Airfix to supply us with a new upper wing - whilst not bankrupting them at the same time?

Cheers.. Dave.

How about the cottage industry doing this?

8 minutes ago, Patrick Martin said:

How about the cottage industry doing this?

That's a thought.

It would give those that would like one (or more) a chance to purchase it, whilst others happy to live with it can choose not to buy.    

Lets just hope that the price is reasonable, as all the required R & D has already been invested. 

The thought of Eduards 'overtrees' comes to mind?

Cheers.. Dave (+1 set please).   

I owe a BIG apology to all of you who read my initial post. The new-tool Airfix Blenheim Mk IV, stock number A04061, has the same upper wing casting as the previous releases- they did NOT correct the upper nacelle contours! I got into my attic to compare my Mk IVF and Mk 1 to the new release, and they are all identical. It's been a while since I had my hands on the kits, so the new release looked right to me. I am SO sorry for the error and I hope none of you went out and bought the kit, thinking it had Blenheim versus Bolinbroke nacelles, as I originally posted. I am about to fall on my X-Acto for being such an idiot. (I hope ToT will still speak to me after this.) Wanted to get this out as soon as I discovered my mistake. I guess my penance will be to build a couple of Mach2 kits!

Mike

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

Had to look again but you're right.

Several factors made it appear that they are smaller in the new release like the glossier dark plastic for example, also the older kit I compared it with has the wing center a bit bent.

No worries, it is still a good kit that I like

Oh well... I suppose it was promising while it lasted, we've all jumped the gun a few times so that's understandable.

Now in order to rectify your ways, please video your 'X-acto fall on sword' moment and post it on Facebook so that we can all "like" it on there as well.

Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick Martin said:

But still, maybe alleycat or somebody else could consider an upper wing bit .....

Agree - now that the seed has been sewn, I believe this is a real possibility.

.... And a one piece replacement would be more preferable than something that requires surgery.

If I possessed the skills (and plenty of other bits), I'd tackle this enterprise myself. 

Cheers.. Dave

• 11 months later...
On 1/28/2018 at 12:07 PM, 72modeler said:

I owe a BIG apology to all of you who read my initial post. The new-tool Airfix Blenheim Mk IV, stock number A04061, has the same upper wing casting as the previous releases- they did NOT correct the upper nacelle contours! I got into my attic to compare my Mk IVF and Mk 1 to the new release, and they are all identical. It's been a while since I had my hands on the kits, so the new release looked right to me. I am SO sorry for the error and I hope none of you went out and bought the kit, thinking it had Blenheim versus Bolinbroke nacelles, as I originally posted. I am about to fall on my X-Acto for being such an idiot. (I hope ToT will still speak to me after this.) Wanted to get this out as soon as I discovered my mistake. I guess my penance will be to build a couple of Mach2 kits!

Mike

It's a good thing I read through the thread, before I went out to order the "NEW & IMPROVED" Blenheim kit. 😦

I guess I will plod along with my Finnish Blenheim Mk.IF recce conversion.

Larry