P-39 Q "Aircobra" - Hobby Boss 1:72

CedB

Hi all! I stumbled upon this thread from Procopius. Ced, you are correct 3D printing is as much an art as is it science. I will say if you're looking to do any sort of fine modeling 3D printing, an FDM printer (plastic filament) is right out. You'll be far better off (and poorer) looking at a DLP/SLA machine—those use a light source to harden a UV sensitive resin. Capable of fantastic detail, and depending on which machine you get, "almost" plug and play. However, the resin is very brittle post cure, which can be an issue. While people sell the printed parts, I personally think a better alternative is to use them to master conventional urethane resin parts.  

It looks like your printer is under extruding a great deal—be that extruder calibration related or a clogged nozzle. If you would like some help, feel free to send me a message and I'd be happy to help. My passion is teaching 3D design (TinkerCAD is my jam) and 3D printers to the masses. It's been massively embraced by wargaming (my particular niche) but as my first passion in life was model airplanes, I'd love to a lot more with scale modeling. 

Edited by Mak_the_Knife
Whoops.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

The best, the old ways sometimes are, young padawan....:D

K

Thanks Yoda Keith :D Indeed, you are wise... I don't think I could have cut such a complex shape with just a knife / tape though. Much skill to learn, I still have (innit)

11 hours ago, spaddad said:

So hows that going Ced?

Thanks spaddad :)Now it's a quick and easy build (see below). I just got a bit, er, distracted. Squirrel!

I love Doug! (John is that you?)

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Yay! My favorite. :inlove:

Thanks Johnny :)

10 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looks very comfortable now. So a piece of sheet wouldn't be  worth it  to use it by now?  Great work on that. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt :)

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Aye lad look twice

:nodding:

measure thrice

:undecided:

cut blood*-millions-of-em

:rant:

no matter how you weigh it up, model making is a trial and we're always guilty

:(

Actually they look rather good Ced, nice one/two

Thanks Bill :) Wise words indeed. One of my school chums had a little chair his Dad had made with the words 'Measure twice, cut once' carved in the back. Always in my mind. I've now learned with the cutter that I should add '... and cut outside the line' to that!

3 hours ago, Mak_the_Knife said:

Hi all! I stumbled upon this thread from Procopius. Ced, you are correct 3D printing is as much an art as is it science. I will say if you're looking to do any sort of fine modeling 3D printing, an FDM printer (plastic filament) is right out. You'll be far better off (and poorer) looking at a DLP/SLA machine—those use a light source to harden a UV sensitive resin. Capable of fantastic detail, and depending on which machine you get, "almost" plug and play. However, the resin is very brittle post cure, which can be an issue. While people sell the printed parts, I personally think a better alternative is to use them to master conventional urethane resin parts.  

It looks like your printer is under extruding a great deal—be that extruder calibration related or a clogged nozzle. If you would like some help, feel free to send me a message and I'd be happy to help. My passion is teaching 3D design (TinkerCAD is my jam) and 3D printers to the masses. It's been massively embraced by wargaming (my particular niche) but as my first passion in life was model airplanes, I'd love to a lot more with scale modeling.

Thanks Mak - great advice, thanks. The printer has now gone back and a refund has been issued. I may wait until the DLP/SLA printer come down in price... or I might just get on with it using the old methods :)

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Under extruding from a clogged nozzle? I'll be that makes your eyes water!

You got there In the end, well done.

Bonne Dimanche

John

PS stitches out today finally, dancing this afternoon

Goods news John - let us know how the new bionic knees feel; I think I'll need some of those one day :)

After some 06/24 modelling juice last night (mine was a nice red) I thought I would assemble the bits. Usually unwise for me, it went well (on review this morning):

28293854949_befedcfc83_z.jpg

Sticky-out bits still there (count 'em!) and only a small bit of Vallejo required on the joins:

39362997984_f4737073fe_n.jpg 40040709202_30a46aa6d2_n.jpg

I've checked some references and I think the holes next to the doors are cartridge ejector ports? They're not locators for the doors - those are now covered. Oh well.

Some flash here:

40040724702_1ec398bd54_z.jpg

... but otherwise a lovely fit.

Canopy masking next. Tricky curvy bits. Mojo required...

• Like 11

If your little local shop is open on Sunday you might find mojo on the same shelf as Vim and Omo...

Or not

The Hairycobbler is looking good Ced, would you ever consider making one as a retreat from high intensity model maki......

Ah

Yes

Erm, not to worry 

I'm just nipping out for a while

Coat's over there

😱

Edited by perdu
  • Haha 6

43 minutes ago, CedB said:

Canopy masking next. Tricky curvy bits. Mojo required

You might as well find it right next Bottled Patience ... problem is finding the right shop :wink::D:D

Ciao

• Haha 2

Thanks Bill :D Easy from now on... I hope!

Thanks Giorgio - found it! :)

40062648682_df14300598_z.jpg

Never again! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

That's a job I don't want to repeat. If you're making this mark, do yourself a favour - get a canopy mask set. The canopy is 'a feature' but crikey, complex frames are a pain.

Primer soon.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

That's a job I don't want to repeat.

That really looks like the most mojo-draining, fun-sucking job ever :frantic: Still, it looks great from here, so :worthy:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Ever wondered why there are not zillions of models of the Hairycobbler on BMs pages?

I think you're getting the idea

But more to the point, it is looking very good, fancy masking the front screen on a mark 1 Schpittsfire some day?

The one with different to later framing?

No, me neither

Paint next then Ced, in fact I bet its already painted screen green as we splather

😊

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio and Bill :)

Yes, it's primed:

26222285858_843e248ec8_z.jpg

Primed by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

... including the prop (yellow tips) and spinner (yellow). There will be yellow soon.

Is there such a thing as white-basing? Like this?

39197563495_984cc480a6_z.jpg

Not an entirely intentional variation. My cheapo airbrush was playing up and my white Stynylrez seems to be thickening. Changed to the Ultra. Sprayed fine.

Happy time spend cleaning the airbrushes. Not.

One issue with my cheapo airbrush is that it's really hard to clean. YMMV.

Mine has a two-part nozzle - if you take it all out you expose the air hole as well as the paint feed.

If you take the tip off you expose the nozzle and the air hole.

This means it's hard, or impossible, to spray cleaner through the nozzle with the end exposed.

Much prodding and dental paper points and an old needle later and it's spraying again.

The Ultra? Ran some cleaner through it. Done.

• Like 10

Thanks Benedikt :) Rattle cans are great eh, but not in the house! I have several cans waiting for warmer weather / heated shed.

As usual the primer showed up some nasties, sanded here:

25229581217_d01cf48fb2_n.jpg 40101694741_2b823af504_n.jpg

... and then re-sprayed with Model Air White as the white on the reference shots looks really white:

39389978494_93c176412b_z.jpg

See the difference? Oh well. trust me, it's whiter.

As promised there's also some yellow... eee 'ello... ELO:

39389972184_19070cdb0a_z.jpg

Again 'cos the reference shots (and scheme) show a brighter yellow than our usual. This is VMA 71.002.

Masking on the white then Neutral Grey tomorrow.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, CedB said:

Rattle cans are great eh, but not in the house! I have several cans waiting for warmer weather / heated shed.

Yes of course. I only use them outside on my balcony or in the garden,  but my balcony is now my second fridge at the moment. So only removing paint (in glasses) for spring. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Hi Ced,

just caught up with your black magic lessons! So much to read, so little time!

I am riled that the Hobby Boss P-39 has a separate cockpit, and not some congealed mass of hard plastic one has to hack out of a fuselage  to build a ridiculously inferior-looking cockpit ersatz... Witness the D 520 of the same make I am still fighting with on occasion, shame on me!

Anyway, so far, so damn excellent! Congratulation on an inspirational build. 

Oh hell, why not! Let me nitpick!!! Why in the name of all that is holly, did you not thin the edges of the pilot's seat? Sorry Ced, we all have pet hates!!!

Keep on amazing us!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice and steady there Ced.

Great masking on the canopy mate, spot on.

Ah, the primer, shows up all ills but at least it`s not before some expensive paint had been applied.

All looking good sir.

And there is nowt wrong in going for a beer or three with the lads.

The art of socializing is still alive in this modern day of "Smart Phones etc"

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good masking, and nice priming, Ced.

6 hours ago, CedB said:

One issue with my cheapo airbrush is that it's really hard to clean. YMMV.

Nah, mine had no airflow yesterday, so I gave it a full dismantle and clean, and found significant dried paint to the rear of the trigger. No idea how it had accumulated all the way back there but it was a bear to clean out. And then the trigger can't have been properly seated in the air valve when I put it back together; the result: one very slightly bent needle.

• Sad 1

You know this beastie just won't be the same without an Ecstatic Ced™ occupant of the kind that we've come to know and love of late. :crying:

On the plus side, all that canopic fenestration and whiter-shade-of-paling is looking 

the business,

if not, indeed, the entire corporation.

• Like 3

Thanks Benedikt - painting outside is seasonal but I've just cleaned out my airbrush with 'strong' cleaner and I'm thinking I should open a window! :)

Thanks JR, very kind :) I probably should have spent much more time on the internals (as I usually do) but this was supposed to be a, ha ha, quick easy build! :)

Thanks Simon :) I've had problems with the VMA white and I've micro-meshed and re-sprayed the tail. Happyish now.

Thanks Chris :) Dried paint on the rear of the trigger? Crikey, sounds like a worn O-ring? I must spend more time on my clean cycle. The 'deep clean' this morning cleaned out green. Oops.

Thanks Keith :) Mary Celeste this one... I rushed the assembly to make some progress and I don't have a US pilot painted. No one will ever know when it's on the ceiling!

Thanks Tony :) I know, one of my only driverless flying models. But then I am going on a trial of the Venturer driverless car on Thursday so maybe appropriate!

Thanks Johnny :) I wasn't happy with the prop tips so they've had a dab with the Liquitex markers this morning.

I'm blood doning this afternoon so may not get that much done while I concentrate on my fluid levels... don't want to end up with an empty arm :D

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Tony Hancock references, driver less car trials, any time for being a Concorde guide now ? :innocent:

The P - 39 's looking good, too. When do you get time to work on it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

I am going on a trial of the Venturer driverless car

That looks a fascinating project Ced. Do let us know your experiences. You sincerely hope it manages to navigate the pitfalls that have dogged so many British engineering initiatives (political parochialism, failures of industrial vision etc.). 

I've a generally optimistic view of these technologies - but only once they pass the critical threshold of being statistically more reliable than human drivers. Given the risible driving standards where I live the redundancy of human inputs can only make roads safer.

If nothing else you might be able to fit a bit more modelling time in on the way to work, with the dashboard for a bench...:lol:

8 hours ago, CedB said:

doning

You've just improved my word power! Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Given the risible driving standards

That is indeed a major problem Tony & should be addressed by better training and more difficult driving tests. And people who can't meet those higher standards can take the bus....!! The ever increasing plethora of 'driver aids' in modern cars (again in my view if people can't drive without the aid of many of them, they should also be on the bus!) and the regularity in which they, and other technological 'advances' in cars fail, leads me to be suspect of the technology in driverless cars ever reaching acceptably safe levels.

Just two examples of one of these modern age marvels failing - Mercedes' automatic braking system. First my daughter's sister in law in her 2017 Merc in the overtaking lane of the M4, car decides she's too close to the car in front, brakes heavily and then won't release the brakes. She just manages to get safely across two lanes of traffic and is then stuck on the hard shoulder with her 1 year old son for hours waiting for Mercedes recovery. Problem was there hadn't even been a car in front of her when the thing decided to slam the brakes on!

Second, friend of a friend in a three month old Merc, again on the motorway - a plastic carrrier bag blew across in front of him and stuck to the front of the car which then thought it was another car right in front! Result - heavy braking & the driver having to stop on the hard shoulder to remove said carrier bag before the car would release the brakes!!

But then, I'm a car luddite & was happy with wind up windows...!!

Sorry Ced, back to the P-39!

Keith 

• Like 6