P-39 Q "Aircobra" - Hobby Boss 1:72

CedB

After a couple of complicated builds I wanted something easy. I'd bought some Hobby Boss 'Easy Assembly' kits for just this situation so chose this:

101286-10244-pristine.jpg

It should be a nice easy build and keep me going while I'm waiting for some paint for the next build.

Everything comes in a really nice box which protects the delicate parts from breaking off in transit. Uh oh. The wings and fuselage are already 'together':

39897370902_c654bee76e_z.jpg

... and you can see that the cannons and pitot are moulded to the wings. I'm hoping they'll stay there. Nice detail though:

26057140068_c283008833_z.jpg

Two other sprues:

26057169318_1d636135a7_n.jpg 39031549045_426185c46a_n.jpg

... and a nice clean canopy:

26057186358_3180d0540b_z.jpg

The kit comes with two schemes and I'm going to do the one with the white empennage, Col. William Shomo's mount 'Snooks 2nd' 42-19995 from 71st trs/82nd TRG in 1944.

According to Wings Palette "He become Medal of Honor winner. The plane was abandoned at Tadji in December 1944. It wore typical Aircobra's painting of Pacific Ocean region. Later it was recovered by David Tallichet's team in 1972-1973 and stored at Yesterday's Air Force until 1980. Donated to Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Serviceman's Park."

She's hanging from the ceiling there but with the wheels down. Ha! They obviously know how difficult it is to build Hobby Boss wheel up :D

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

I'm in, :popcorn: I think a relatively simple build after the two "stretchers" is well deserved.

Mind you, I always start that way but seem to complicate mine along the way, although the the Novofrog Comet went together in an afternoon even with the scratch cockpit.

As Ced knows, I'm running a model making competition at work in February, so my next easy/distraction build is a Guinea pig for me to show my colleagues how it's done. Airfix Harrier fits the bill, enough detail and challenge to keep me interested, but simple enough not to frighten the horses.

A question occurs, if the fuse is already joined, how do you paint the cockpit?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

question occurs, if the fuse is already joined, how do you paint the cockpit?

Looking at the sprue shots, the cockpit can probably be inserted from underneath, before joining in the wings - or alternatively it sits on the central segment of the bottom wing.

I never had much lurve for this aircraft, Ced, but I'll follow along to see you Ced-alizing it  :wink::D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Welcome all!

Not much done yet as we had Mother-in-Law for lunch (no, not with some Fava Beans and Chianti, just Turkey!). I hope to start in earnest tomorrow.

Jon as Giorgio says the cockpit goes in from the bottom (see, no comment, I am reformed!) :)

Keith - yes, a bit of a variation from the theme but hey, it's easy (it says on the box). I have a Thunderbolt and Lightning too - very very frightening!

More tomorrow, I hope :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Welcome John :)

Well, I have done a bit this evening. I glued the seat in and got the other bits that need Interior Green:

28171833969_71d60facc7_z.jpg

Ready for IG by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Ah, look, open front wheel doors:

26078943028_7d35d0ce04_z.jpg

Rats. But wait... see those lines at the bottom of the doors? I could cut them off using those lines. Stew taught me that the best way to do this is with patience, so out with my bottle of Mr Giemme PatienceTM, saw the rear with a nano-saw and then stroke a #6 down the line:

39241479314_cfd56b7187_z.jpg

Saw saw stroke stroke by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

That works, good. Front door and the other side and I now have a smooth(ish) fuselage and three not so smooth doors:

28171950729_421aafe04b_z.jpg

I'll clean those up but there's not much chance they'll fit is there. Is there?

Next time on 'Quick and Easy Aircobra'...

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

Hmm, methinks young Ced has missed the point of "easy-assembly"...

On the other hand, splendid stuff. This is my kind of modelling, take a cheap, basic even, starting point and add a dose of the ole Ced magic.

Replacement doors from a double layer of plastikard perhaps? One large piece to cover the inside of the door well, then an appropriately shaped piece dropped on top to match the fuselage profile, then scribe the T shape door shuts. Simples...

Edited by 06/24
Spelling
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, CedB said:

Mr Giemme PatienceTM

I almost chuckled on that :rofl::rofl:

Canned patience, how does that sound? :D

Excellent job with those doors, Ced :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1