1/48 Airfield Support Vehicles for TSR.2

AnthonyWan

There's been a few photos floating around of XR219 being readied on the tarmac at BD for engine runs, etc. 

I've noticed there's always an assortment of trucks, support carts, etc scattered around. 

Examples: 

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/public8/tsr2refueller.jpg

https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/bac-tsr-2

Does anyone know if these vehicles (or something very similar) were ever kitted in 1/48? 

Fancy doing a little diorama... 

Thanks in advance.

-Anthony

The refueller is a Leyland 19H Hippo,non currently available in any scale,though 1/72 and 1/48 would be nice.

BW models used to make a white metal version of the Hippo in 1/76 ,and there was a short lived 1/72 resin Hippo from Airframe.

I think the BW was nicer.

Dinky also made a version of the Hippo, but that was in something like 1/60 scale, so maybe only good for background photos.

Maybe Airfix could fill the gap???

Edited by Fredag
add info
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Don't you just love all that tar sealing the gaps in the concrete apron. Any modeller accurately representing that on a diorama base would be accused of over doing it.   

That's on my list of things to do! 

I can't wait to see the judge's face... 

Can anyone confirm what the stencil says? 

"DANGER ZONE !

THIS AREA NOT TO BE ENTERED 

WHEN ENGINES ARE RUNNING" 

-Anthony 

46 minutes ago, AnthonyWan said:

I can't wait to see the judge's face... 

In that case don't forget  a copy of the photo to slap him with when he objects.

I've been giving some thought as to how the apron got into that state and I think Boscombe must have had those runway de-icers that used old jet engines to melt the ice (and tar sealant). The TSR 2 was there not long after the big freeze of the 1963 winter when such a de-icer would have been in regular use.

• Like 1

Best as I can tell looking at all the photos from the same session and there are a few, the best I can work out the wording is;

Danger Zone .1. 

This area not to be entered

When engines are running

There is a lot of pipe work laying around and bit's of kit it would make for a very busy seen.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Best as I can tell looking at all the photos from the same session and there are a few, the best I can work out the wording is;

Danger Zone .1. 

This area not to be entered

When engines are running

There is a lot of pipe work laying around and bit's of kit it would make for a very busy seen.

John

Care to share those other photos from the same session? 

-Anthony 

Don’t you just love the hi-tech... whatever the oil barrels were for under the wings.  BAC hadn’t relly mastered the who;e green right, red left thing, it seems (see top photo).

Also in top pic, is the Nav’s canopy still in primer?  In all the other shots it is white, but the top one looks different.

23 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Don’t you just love the hi-tech... whatever the oil barrels were for under the wings.  BAC hadn’t relly mastered the who;e green right, red left thing, it seems (see top photo).

Also in top pic, is the Nav’s canopy still in primer?  In all the other shots it is white, but the top one looks different.

I think the two oil drums are just ballast, and they are the wrong way round I hadn't spotted that :)

The yellow section is on the pilots canopy and I think it's just a temporary protective film? 

John   

The various oil drums are there to catch any overflowing liquids. In the first coloured shot you an see the hoses attached to the fuel system vents going straight into the drums. The bigger the drum the more fluid they were expecting could spill / drain.

• Like 1