TAMIYA DAK STEYER 1500A/01

On 6/13/2018 at 8:05 PM, robw_uk said:

very nice... the colour is developing really well

On 6/13/2018 at 8:07 PM, robgizlu said:

Like what you are doing

Rob

On 6/14/2018 at 2:49 PM, clive_t said:

Looks great from here Simon! :)

Thanks chaps......I'm comfortable so far on the colour luminance, except I may have ramped up the blue in the interior a tad.....I'll bring it back a little with a wash and panel line and then dust and grime wash,....see how it goes. Got a couple of hours in today after college. Here's an end of business update.

The 80mm is base painted and ready for it's camo' with the main upper hull tomorrow. All stowage is also base painted just need an isolation coat and they're ready for chipping etc. Some detail base coats needed on the steering wheel, seats (green/grey canvas similar to the window screen cover), and of course the rear stowage rack. It's actually it's second coat of primer....I didn't like the first go.....too bright.😎

knSGeRl.jpg

Night all.....:yes:

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 7

Well....at last the final base coats of all that's going in the final build. I may dig up some odds and ends; have to see what I find. For now the next step is an isolation layer and then the camo' scheme....then on the weathering and chipping.

I'm going though for a break switch to the Wespe and get it primed and ready for it's base coats. Need a break from this one.....:frantic:...So, here's where's she's being left off until the camo' maybe next week'.xHruCaF.jpg

a5uYVyN.jpg

Off to the Wespe........:bye:

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 8

very nice... adding the mortar in is a great variation. Just 1 (very small) nit-pick from me... the rear storage is just calling out to be rammed... boxes, tarps/rolls etc (mind I tend to overload mine)

• Thanks 1

Cheers mate....... and I agree Rob, it is lacking in content in the rack.....not enough "junk in the trunk" :coolio:. Thing is, I don't have any what I think is convincing looking stowage as regards bed rolls etc etc. I have a load of 1970's early 80's Tamiya accessories from old forgotten kits. Not really up to scratch now..and my budget won't stretch to additional stowage kits that are available....I might try and do some homework on making my own and see where I go.....:shrug:

I'll keep looking to see what i can dig up in what I have, maybe something else I can pop in the back......plus I am a little Steyere'd out....hence shifting to the Wespe....but I might get the camo' on Steyer done over the weekend....have to see...

Regards

Simon.

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Cheers mate....... and I agree Rob, it is lacking in content in the rack.....not enough "junk in the trunk" :coolio:. Thing is, I don't have any what I think is convincing looking stowage as regards bed rolls etc etc. I have a load of 1970's early 80's Tamiya accessories from old forgotten kits. Not really up to scratch now..and my budget won't stretch to additional stowage kits that are available....I might try and do some homework on making my own and see where I go.....:shrug:

I'll keep looking to see what i can dig up in what I have, maybe something else I can pop in the back......plus I am a little Steyere'd out....hence shifting to the Wespe....but I might get the camo' on Steyer done over the weekend....have to see...

Regards

Simon.

if you can save up - Value Gear packs are great (I have used them on various kits), tarps, boxes all sorts.... if not then milliput is going to be your new best friend 😉

• Like 1

Milliput gets my vote too, I used it for some of the stowage on my M3 Grant. Another solution (again used on my Grant) was to cut up some strips of a tomato puree tube and roll or fold them over to look like a tarp. You could also use Green Stuff which is like Milliput only more flexible.

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

if you can save up - Value Gear packs are great (I have used them on various kits), tarps, boxes all sorts.... if not then milliput is going to be your new best friend 😉

I took a look Rob on their site. They do look good as you say. Maybe in the future, I have to find some economies and try and use what I have in the stock and stash piles....☹️

59 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Milliput gets my vote too, I used it for some of the stowage on my M3 Grant. Another solution (again used on my Grant) was to cut up some strips of a tomato puree tube and roll or fold them over to look like a tarp. You could also use Green Stuff which is like Milliput only more flexible.

That’s a good idea Clive, I suppose it acts the same as lead foil. I use to save wine tops to do the same. I just got some of that Green Stuff, maybe give it a try.

Thanks for the input though chaps. I might set myself up one day and have a stowage from scratch build......but I’ll  be honest, I think I’m hitting a brick wall :rage: after painting for so long on the SIG 33, Steyer, Zug, T34 and Wespe. I’m starting to get the building bug, so I might switch to building the 20mm for the Zug’

So I think I’ll be back over on the Zug’ thread on the 20mm......:mg:

If you have some old stowage pieces which are not up to the job detail wise, you could always fix them in place and then cover them with some dilute pva glue soaked tissue to represent a tarp covering.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks Kris..

First time experiment. I like it as a technique for light coloured vehicles. I'm going to try and crack it on darker coloured one as soon as I have the right subject. I might try it on the Wespe I'm working on in Panzer Grey.

Simon

• 1 year later...

Morning all........switched to the Steyer.

Finaly decided on the final colour scheme. Panzer Grey with DAK over paint. I've put an undercoat of chipping medium and after some experiments, have allowed the top coat a long drying period. I'm looking to get really fine chipping and wear based on the sand environment of the location. Finger's crossed it works like the sample on an old hulk earlier in the week......if not, then manual chipping is in cards.....:shocked:

1hyzDcG.jpg

ByPwWKa.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/9/2019 at 3:29 PM, Carius said:

Excellent progress my friend :popcorn:

Thanks Carius.......:yes:.

Managed to get some time in today. I think I may have let the top coat cure a little too long. No mind, good experimentation, and taken notes. Here's where she stands now with some sand and battle wear.

swbQuNF.jpg

fKvlRJB.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Soeren said:

Nah. It is looking good like that. But now you need to add some figures. You can't have an openquiry top vehicle without figures.

Thanks Soeren

I have been looking for some resin figures in DAK uniforms. I have a couple in mind. Just trawling AliExpress now........:(. found a couple standing....looking for a good seated one next.

35 minutes ago, Phil1960 said:

Very nice. Imho add some black on mortar muzzle😏.

ciao Filippo 

Hi Filippo...thanks mate.........:yes:............The mortar is still to be started yet. I have to do scratch's and chipping yet....only

had a wash applied so far.... I'm about halfway through the vehicle itself. The pics are actually from before the weekend, so will pop up progress over the weekend maybe by Wednesday.....

Thanks again chaps.....

Evening all.........update on the DAK Steyer......worked mostly on the interior and the mortar. Also dusted up the chassis and wheels. They still need some touch up prior to sealing in permanently.....I managed to get the AK Dust and Dirt Deposits through the AB, so that makes it easier to get an even coat when I tackle the exterior dust. Anyway......hopefully get some more done this week, before I kick off the conversion of the GAZ bus into a German ambulance during the retreat from the East.

X2tGkCU.jpg

I6x5ytb.jpg

ycL8fNM.jpg

ZCe67P1.jpg

TPn87O8.jpg

• Like 8

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to TAMIYA DAK STEYER 1500A/01

Thanks Vaoinas

My first use of chipping medium.......not bad stuff. Although I'm going to experiment without it and see if acrylic scratch's without it. I have a feeling you can get subtle scratch the same way.

Thanks again......:yes:

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966

On 8/15/2019 at 10:56 AM, Bullbasket said:

The wear and tear that you've achieved is first class. They really got a good sand blasting in N.Africa.

John.

Thanks John......I did to practice as I intend to do a heavy scratched and chipped GAZ bus I just started. I want to show the original bus colours beneath the ambulance colours I'm planning.

Cheers mate

:yes:

• Like 1