TAMIYA DAK STEYER 1500A/01

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

nice one... love the stowage....

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

Neat build, looking forward to seeing the paint go on 

Thanks chap's...... I just did the stowage to get an idea. A lot of the bits in there like the ammo box's for the mortar. It came with rounds, so I am going to have a couple of boxes open I have radio too to get in there from the Eduard PE radio pack. Also going to work on some personal luggage too

And yes, painting next Clive......... I'm waiting to get a compressor a mate of mine is letting me have as he's picked up a new one, he's waiting for his to be delivered.....hopefully by May.....:idea:

Thanks again :yes:

Hi Hewy

cheers mate. I’m just getting a bit frustrated I can’t really start the painting phase on any of the builds at the moment and some of them need component painting to move on to finish 😩😖

I’ll probably be tempted to look at another one in my stash 😬

thanks again to you all, glad you like it so far

Simon

• 3 months later...

Evening all

Decided due to the track issue's on the Zugkraftwagen to switch back to the Steyer 1500. 

First got a base primer in black then on the areas like chassis and directly under the upper body a coat of red primer. If I can be bothered I might chip the chassis but I might be "muddying" this one up a bit.

aVejTaL.jpg

Once all was dry then switched to the B&W method. Read and watched a few YT vids and thought I'd give it a go like Rob on his Hungarian AFV. When I started the white layer, it showed up any imperfections like small hairs etc trapped in the primer. I'll remove once dry and this'll be where scratch's will go.......:coolio:

I'm planning on leaving the interior German Grey like factory issue and as all vehicles were until the change over to Dunkelgelb.....and then do the exterior in Dunkelgelb field applied with a camo' scheme I've seen with very thin; in reality badly applied zig-zags

MkvgiZ2.jpgGs0wSBo.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Rob, I don't think it matters mate; tidy or not. Once the main colour goes down I think the vast majority disappears.

What size needle do you have in the brush. I used a 0.2mm for the white. I'm tending to use this more and more, rather than the 0.4mm or larger.

7 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Decided due to the track issue's on the Zugkraftwagen to switch back to the Steyer 1500. 

That's how shelf queens get started.:). Even at 5am and with bleary eyes (woken up by thunderstorm), this looks really good Simon. Great photos also.

John.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Rob, I don't think it matters mate; tidy or not. Once the main colour goes down I think the vast majority disappears.

What size needle do you have in the brush. I used a 0.2mm for the white. I'm tending to use this more and more, rather than the 0.4mm or larger.

mine is .2mm BUT I think i need to thin the paint more (and clean the airbrush more)... 

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's how shelf queens get started.:). Even at 5am and with bleary eyes (woken up by thunderstorm), this looks really good Simon. Great photos also.

John.

Hi John, and thank you.

I'll get back on it once I locate some injection moulded at the right price. Just looking into the best as regards fit and quality......I think it's a good thing sometimes to take a break on a project....you can get an attitude of "I need to get this done😫".....and you can start to rush it and make mistakes.

So a change is as good as a rest.....:yes:

Simon.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

mine is .2mm BUT I think i need to thin the paint more (and clean the airbrush more)... 

Hi Rob, yes I have slowly thinned and thinned my paints more; nearly a 60/40.....60 being thinners - plus some flow additive. I tend to clean the brush at least once a week, sometimes twice. In fact I just invested in a cleaning kit for the H&S off Ebay........plus a new needle..😡. I caught the tip on the spray booth and bent the 2mm......😫....I got it back into shape, but needs replacing.

Simon.

• Like 1

Evening all....just about to call it a night. Managed to get the first base cost of the interior done. Not sure if the white highlight method suits darker colours. Even when thinned slightly more, it still needed to go back and do the highlights again. So hopefully tomorrow with the exterior Dunkelgelb base coat it'll show through better.

Anyway, so far.........

Wj3xXoz.jpgq7MIkP6.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Evening all....just about to call it a night. Managed to get the first base cost of the interior done. Not sure if the white highlight method suits darker colours. Even when thinned slightly more, it still needed to go back and do the highlights again. So hopefully tomorrow with the exterior Dunkelgelb base coat it'll show through better.

Anyway, so far.........

Hi Simon,

yes, the black & white undercoat modulation works well with darker colors but you need a very thin paint and a light coat ... everything will be darkened in the process with filters, washes and all the rest of it 😉

However, I must admit that if you're looking for a strong modulation, some additional highlights may be needed ... 

By the way, the Steyer looks very good !!

Cheers, E

1 hour ago, Etienne said:

Hi Simon,

yes, the black & white undercoat modulation works well with darker colors but you need a very thin paint and a light coat ... everything will be darkened in the process with filters, washes and all the rest of it 😉

However, I must admit that if you're looking for a strong modulation, some additional highlights may be needed ... 

By the way, the Steyer looks very good !!

Cheers, E

Maybe I’ll give it a try again. I’m looking forward to the exterior today. See how it looks in a lighter colour. I’ll keep plugging away and see if in time I’ll use the effect again. May depend sometimes on the subject.

S

Before I shoot out with my job's list, I got the Dunkel on. I like the B&W for light colours, just have to work on the darker shades. 

Well, off for a bit. I'll get the satin isolation on tonight and work on detail phase next.

See ya later.....:coolio:

JQ4tNYI.jpgCSk6o4k.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, robw_uk said:

i think it looks good... weathering will change it all anyway 😉

Thanks Rob......that’s what I am realising really. You have to up the colour intensity as the weathering brings it down a lot and you can end up with a dark blob with....☹️ With little to no depth or detail.......that’s the plan with the Steyer

5 hours ago, Soeren said:

That is a bold start into the paintjob. Didn't have the balls for such strong contrasting Base colors yet. Will wait for your result. Sure it will look great.

Thanks Soeren

As I said to Rob above, it’s an experiment in colour and contrast. I’ve upped the blue in Panzer Grey that should fade back with weathering. Same with the upper body base and the increased contrast in detail highlights.

I’ll post where I stand tonight, and get back into it on Friday.

Simon

On 6/12/2018 at 8:27 PM, Sairou said:

The contrast of the grey and the yellow is very pleasing to the eye, good job on this one.

Thanks Mate

That's it for tonight though...got this far in between chores but ran out of steam. Here's where she stands.

The black items have just been primed. The colours seem bold at the moment, but will be reduced by 50% at the end of the process. I aim to do the angle iron in straight red primer as it's an add on in the work shop long after the grey and the exterior Dunkelgelb. 

I have to make a new signal for the drivers side. I might have it showing more than the other - in red. Add a little "sparkle"

gFae5MB.jpg

Highlighted detail I kept strong. I must have a sign up (a long with other do and don'ts) ....."don't fit seats until painted in future"....boy oh boy were they a nightmare......:rant: Gonna make it difficult to do a cracked leather look....have to see how it goes.

gk9m96k.jpg

Night guy's......

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 8