TAMIYA DAK STEYER 1500A/01

Well I made the decision to go for wheels only on the next build. I'm done with tracked AFV's for a bit. I liked this little number, so someone treated me to it for Christmas. Managed to pick up the Eduard PE for £4 on Ebay with free shipping; so why not........:idea:

EdK7jf0.jpg

I'm going to keep it simple.....although I'm trying to figure out how if possible to drop a single barrelled 20mm flak piece in the main seating compartment as I've seen done on some Horche 1A trucks on various fronts. But I don't think it's as long wheel based as the Horche....have to see once I get the main upper body together. So, while I'm been left alone this afternoon, I'll crack on with the chassis...

Have a good rest of the day chaps.

Simon.

• Like 4

Evening all, hope all is well.

Not much to report on this little number......not too stressful at all really, just what I was looking for. Not too much PE, but enough to give it some detail where needed. I have to say, this is a real gem of a Tamiya piece. Absolute perfect fit,and exceptionally crisp. God enough in some paces not to need the PE - like of the jack. Decided it was fine as is. I've decided not to fit the back seats as I intend to have a mortar set up in the rear. And have stowage racks on the rear area where the soft top would be stowed when not in use. Just need to locate a mortar set. So on to design what would have to be done internally in the field to be able to fire a mortar.

UUCBe5S.jpg

Carving out the dashboard detail was murder, but worth it when the PE and film detail is added in after painting.

VmmQ1FH.jpg

Same goes for the removal of all the rear door detail ready for the PE brackets etc. And on the door handles and the interior replacements. The "toothbrush" orbital sander came in handy...:D Decided also not to have the spare on this one. late war period, spares were in short supply....

d9uoaLx.jpg

Also, if anyone gets one themselves, don't forget to drill out the exhaust. Small detail, but worth it..........rear clasps awaiting padlocks. Need to dig them out

from a spares box somewhere.

8y4Hh5f.jpg

Nice detail with the chassis. Pity not a lot will be seen. But enjoyable to build, with it's Tamiya quality...........Just fell together. CMK does a resin engine for this one. Maybe on the next one.

Anyway chaps, hope to have the bulk done in a week or so.

Regards

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 8

Ho Rob, thanks mate.

Yes, been mulling over in my head the next steps to install a mortar. I would imagine they would have it facing to the rear, fire and shoot off to limit exposure to counter fire. I will I think add in a timbered floor and bracing for recoil.

I'm on the look out for a mortar and ammo case's. I don't fancy having to buy the German mortar team set by Tamiya, as I have no use for the figures. I have spotted someone on Ebay selling off a bunch of figure and small arms spru's cheap. See if I can get those as it has a mortar in pile. I might even try building a scratch trailer. Maybe something that looks field built. Have to see.

Anyway, thanks again Rob for taking a look.

Regards

Simon.

sounds good to me Simon... I am getting the Matilda from Tamiya and am eyeing ways to make it stand out (minerollers to be scratchbuilt if I can find some wheels).... like seeing take kits and develop them...

you are piquing my interest in this kit - wondering how it would look s a German equivalent of the LRDG chevvy.... tempting.....

Yeah Rob, I keep trying to pick up a Brit AFV for a good price. I tend to get most of mine knocked down on Ebay or at shows. Keeps my budget inline. I got this Syeyer for half price off Ebay with free shipping. The Brit AFV's at the moment seem to be getting popular and are staying high in price.

I have really enjoyed this Steyer, you will to I expect. If you get one, let me know and I'll try and take a note of things for you to look out for. There aren't many but a couple. 

That's not a bad idea also on an LRDG version. I know that North Africa was a "borrowing" war. Lots of cross over use by both sides of captured vehicles. Sounds like a good plan there mate. Something different. I tend to stay with the Eastern Front. My main subject of study, it being the most decisive of the fronts. That's where I might do a Brit AFV with a Lend Lease Valentine of Matilda.

Simon.

• Like 1

Morning all, hope a good weekend awaits you all....in-spite of the weather.....:D

Well, had an evening un disturbed last night and managed to get some what closer to a base level kit finish on the Steyer.

PpwJFPy.jpg

I decided in the end to drop the windscreen and have a cover over it. Glass can complicate a build, and I think it looks more in field use as well. Bit of lead foil did the trick from a wine bottle.

0EpqjmW.jpg

The base area in the seating space for the mortar was finished. Just need now to get my hands on a Tamiya 80mm mortar. See one on Ebay mixed in with a few spru's for sale. So hopefully should be the next stage. Had a bit of a time riveting with .4 drill, but got there in the end. I would imagine they would have had to have something like this to spread out the shock of firing. I'll keep it separate and paint then add in at the end. Just have some handles on the gun clasps to add in and the final indicator on the right.

MYnkLOl.jpg

XD7J98S.jpg

Had a bit of a disaster on the rear mirror component. While carving off the parts that need to be removed to use the pE, it broke. So had to build a version in wire. Just need to add in the stem for the indicator part in PE.

iJuYPll.jpg

If anyone get's one of these and also the Eduard PE set. Then you need to know the jerry can is too large for the PE carrier. I had to carefully sand enough to slide it in.

Also the grill PE parts are a very tight fit. So when adding them if you do get one of these, be prepared for a frustrating half hour. The issue is, the grills are delicate, and you have to be careful not distort them. Once all the base components are finalised, I'll move on the additional detail that the crew would pile in etc. I need to design and build a storage unit for the rear area in place of the canopy that I removed. I can't imagine if damaged in reality there were a plentiful supply of canvas roofs on there way to southern Ukraine.......so off it went, making way for more storage......:D

Well chaps, off to do some chores.....chat later.

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Very nice build there simon, looking like a fine bese for the paint work,  seems theres a bit of a queue forming of late  for painting isn't there

Glynn 

The answer to that mate would be a big yes.........:D

5xWfB3C.jpg

Looks like I'll have a paint fest once I have the painting area sorted out. All of them have final details and finishing to go yet. I'm going to get a hit list done next week maybe and start working my way through them. The Sturer Emil might take the longest. It's not an easy one to get done.....:huh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Redcoat2966 said:

The answer to that mate would be a big yes.........:D

5xWfB3C.jpg

Looks like I'll have a paint fest once I have the painting area sorted out. All of them have final details and finishing to go yet. I'm going to get a hit list done next week maybe and start working my way through them. The Sturer Emil might take the longest. It's not an easy one to get done.....:huh:

Its probably my favourite,  though they're all most impessive 

Glynn 

Hi Francis, thanks mate.

Painting is a way off at the moment due to equipment and space to do. So I'm in build mode for now. Concentrating on the Steyer at present. Worked on some minor details last night I saw on some actual vehicles being shown off at military shows. Extra clamps and straps etc. Also alternate location for some detail that Eduard had in areas that made them suseptible to breaking.....:huh:

Also looking at what else will be in the vehicle itself. Found an old Panzerschreck. So did some PE work on from the bit's box. And hopefully when some angle strip get's in the rear stowage unit on the rear back shelf. I'll post a pick of progress to date sometime tonight after my chores......:rain:(always feels like someone is raining on my day....:unamused:

Chat later

Simon,

Hi Chaps.

Just a couple of shots on the limited progress of late. Tried to get up close with my phone, but not the right lense.....:huh: Got the tools and clamps done, and some additional hood latches I saw on a photograph, not on the Tamiya or Eduard details.

RuRTeeo.jpg

4dNgsNS.jpgLittle shot of the detail I managed to get together on the Panzerschreck. The side clasp and strap for the shield. The front rest and a little part on the upper viewing portal of the shield.

Anyway. On with my paperwork. Maybe get something done over the weekend.

Nite all.

Simon,

• Like 4

During another early hours wake up, like others here,  maybe spent on sky's,  history, pbs and discovery channels, i was watching battlefield,  one of montys little soiree's, any way a steyer rumbled across the screen rammed  full with afrika korps, there were loads of em in it,  must have been a big old unit, and looking back there's not much in it with the wespe, any way i digress, superb detailing on the mortar, wouldn't like to be a passenger in the front :huh:, during an on the move encounter, 

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy

Hi Glynn.......yes, same here. Get up early and end up having my laptop on youtube watching documentaries, modelling demo vids etc.

I couldn't agree anymore when you put it up against the Wespe; they are virtually the same. Big vehicle for only 6 seated. But I imagine as you say, when needs must; pack'em in......:D......especially when on the run.....

As regards the mortar mate. I think I may have confused viewers here. What I have in the pic above is a Panzerschreck....the 80mm mortar is on it's way, and not yet fitted.

Hopefully should be able to have some progress on seeing how the mortar fits in later next week. Here's a better pic of the anti-tank piece. I still have to rig up a carry strap and some fine wiring at the rear. Drilling out the barrel was a tough exercise, but worth it. Just like doing the exhaust on the Steyer. I like to challenge myself, makes good practice.........:idea:

KUo9NYe.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 3

Cheers Rob, comments much appreciated.

I agree also, very distinctive little run around. In my research online, there are still quite a few in collectors hands.......very envious ........would be great to go to Sainsbury's in one for the weekly shop.......:D, wouldn't worry about getting a door ding in the parking lot......

Cheers

Simon.

Hi there, sorry mate...........lost track of this one with all the chaos in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm in a build mode at the present. Enjoying every minute of it. Painting will come later in the year when I get set up and better weather, not so humid and cold........:huh:

I liked the PE on this one. Not too much, but enough to raise the detail. I did get the chassis PE set, suspension etc. I couldn't face it after the PE I've done on the other's. So put it back in the stash until I get another Steyer.

Anyway mate

Thanks again

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Clive.

Yes, really enjoyed this one so far....if you decided to get this one. I'll try and get on here any issues I have noted or would do an alternate way the next one I get. I have the intent to do a couple more of these. Something like this.

7V7yjwW.jpg

I have the PE suspension upgrade for it, so just need to get the upper area PE kit.

Simon.

• Like 1

Evening all.....hope your all planning a good weekend. Managed some time tonight, but it's been a heavy week so not much to show. managed to pick up a mortar and worked on that. I decided that the wood deck I built wouldn't stand up to constant pounding when the mortar was in use. And having seen this Sd.Kfz 250 recently renovated by a Russian collector. As you can see the steel they installed in the factory is extensive for a mortar installation. You should see what they started with for it to end up in this mint condition......anyway, on with the Steyer......

wptNZpk.jpg

So..with some research on ad-hoc vehicles with flak or AT gun's etc.....I imagined this Steyer in the southern Ukraine in 43 and If I was ordered to figure it out, by the Hauptman (in the field), A few pieces of Soviet angle iron and away you go. I think it might have come out like this. Plenty of strength for long term use and the front legs tied down with plated loops. All bolted to the sub floor. All I have to do now is build a strap with clasp to hold the base plate in when it's on the move. Able to be un-done if it needed to be removed.

Looking for constructive criticism, so fire away...........:D

VHvb6ue.jpg

aryT34h.jpg

8eawXAR.jpg

• Like 2

Evening all.

Finally have the build done on this one. This one's ready for the paint shop once I get my hands on the compressor. Popped in some boxes and stuff to get an idea on the layout - not definite yet, but close. Now off to get some details done on my other projects.

Cheers all, have a good night.

gbeT0Pz.jpg

BEx6FxK.jpgTURwBm5.jpg8Oerx9h.jpg

• Like 6