1:35 Scammell Pioneer Recovery + 15 CWT CMP recovery diorama

Kallisti

For my first big build of 2018 I've decided to resurrect the IBG Scammell Recovery vehicle build I started last year along with the old Airfix CMP build I started a while ago. Throw in a few figures and a base and I'm hoping it will be a good result. The idea is based upon this photo from the IWH site

large_000000.jpg

(Copyright IWH,  https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205197465 used here for illustrative purposes)

So the kits that will be included in this build:

DSC_0317.JPG

DSC_7529.JPG

Plus figures and bits from all or some of these kits and accessories

DSC_9867.JPG

I'm aiming to represent an Australian CMP having fallen into a waddi or depression in N Africa. The IBG Scammell kit comes with an option for South African Armoured Division in Egypt in 1944 but I'd prefer something earlier as the CMP kit has the option for a vehicle from the 9th Australian Div, 20th Anti Tank Battalion which was from 1942. However further research using the Capricorn Publications Scammell book

DSC_9885.JPG

shows a very interesting scheme for a vehicle from the 7th Armoured Division in 1942 in a Caunter scheme

DSC_9886.JPG

I must admit that is quite tempting to try :) As if I havn't made things hard enough for myself!!!!

So to start with here are some sprue shots of the old Airfix CMP kit

DSC_0319.JPG

DSC_0320.JPG

DSC_0321.JPG

I won't be using the 6 lbr gun in this build, I've also got an old Airfix QL Portee kit in the stash which is missing its 6 lbr so that sprue in this kit has been donated to the Portee. I've also added some PE for the grille

DSC_9868.JPG

Next we have the IBG Scammell Recovery

DSC_7531.JPG

DSC_7533.JPG

Now there has been a lot written about this kits inaccuracies, but frankly, I'm not that bothered. I'm more interested in telling an interesting story in the diorama to worry about how accurate the cab is etc. Most people won't know any difference. I've picked up the Accurate Armour WWII British Recovery Equipment set, plus some ResinCast PE  Sand Channels and various chains, ropes, boxes, stowage and so on.

The base will be constructed from an old picture frame picked up at a charity shop, plus some plaster cast rocks, polystyrene packaging and plaster bandage plus my usual claycrete

DSC_9875.JPG

The black things at the top are the rubber moulds for the plaster rock outcrops - they are designed for railway modellign but I've got a set of these moulds and they are very useful! I think the original picture in the frame is totally appropriate :D

As I mentioned before, both the Scammell and the CMP kit were started previously so here is the progress to date on each of them. First the CMP:

DSC_9874.JPG

This has had the basic chassis built but I've modified the front wheel hubs so that they look damaged and broken. My aim is to show the CMP with damage to its front where its gone over the edge of the waddi. To this end, one of the wheels has had the moulded centre boss carefully removed as I aim to show this wheel having sheered off and deflated at the bottom of the waddi. This will require some scratch building on the hub to show the fittings for the wheel bolts which have sheered off. The other front tyre will also be deformed to look like its deflated. I'm going to try to do that with carefully applied heat... I'm rather nervous about that :D

I won't be using the tilt version - the kit comes with two options, covered or uncovered. I'm going to build it uncovered and then show the tilt as ripped and separate from the vehicle.

Next is the Scammell Recovery. This has had a few sub components built up and some painting done.

DSC_9871.JPG

DSC_7543.JPG

Finally (for now) I've started on the figures - at least selecting which ones to use from the plethora of potions, and partially assembled some of them.

DSC_9870.JPG

From top left:

Aussie figure that comes with the CMP kit

From the British Jeep Crew standing with hand on hip (mmm ducky!)

From the British Armourd Car set, sitting down hand up to face

From the Commonwealth AFV Crew set, figure kneeling holding out a biscuit or something. His arm with a tea mug has been used elsewhere so will need replacing.

middle row:

From British Jeep crew, driver looking round. Both arms have been used elsewhere so will need replacing.

Aussie figure from the Allied Forces set - he won't be holding a Bren gun though.

Resin figure of soldier carrying flimsy from ResinCast

From the British Armoured Car crew, the bloke in shorts leaning against something with his foot raised

Bottom row:

From the British Jeep Crew, bloke putting his back into pushing something

Aussie heads  and other heads to replace the kit originals.

So thats all there is to it! I also have a deadline of the second Monday in March to complete this as that is the date for the Member's Trophy comp at my model club whose theme this time round is dioramas! 

Wheee, and off we go!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

Progress from yesterday: lots of paint applied to the so far 9 figures to be included.

DSC_9890.JPG

I tried to mix the khaki shades up a bit by mixing it with XF-59 Desert Yellow or XF-60 dark yellow. The flesh tones are Vallejo medium fleshtone with some basic fleshtone mixed in at times. Onto the Scammell and the rear desk has been built up, including a scratch built ladder, inspired by @Hewy in his build which is superb here

DSC_9888.JPG

I aim to give this an initial 'green' paintjob before overpaint with sand and allowing chips to show through as I'm pretty sure this is how it would have been painted. By the way, I've decided not to go for the 'Caunter' colour scheme - this build is complicated enough as it is :D

• Like 4

Ah this looks good, that photo at the start with the scammell recovering the carrier, crossed my mind for a diorama , i like your plan here, never knew about that book either, looks like a couple of nice schemes there, the wheel on top looks interesting, 

Glynn 

• Like 1

A fantastic idea for a dio.

I was actually thinking of something similar for a 'set piece' in my Ever Evolving Diorama, a little scene where a Universal Carrier was pulling a crashed German BMW r75 and sidecar from a stream, presumably to 'appropriate' it for Allied use.  I still might do that, if I can find the room for it on the base.

I am following with interest, especially how you manage to build up the ground level and give depth to the waddi. Good luck, have fun, and don't be afraid to 'let things evolve!'

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

Thanks guys, glad you are watching!

Yesterday and today the focus changed to the cab and first was the rear wall with the backrests and then the floor which has come control levers and the gear stick

DSC_9892.JPG

The PE was no trouble to bend and fit - I dug out my bending tool but in the end didn't need it as my tweezers were good enough for these. Next came the front of the cab and the major inaccuracy of the kit, namely the angled window supports which don't bear any relation to reality. For this I took a leaf out of @Hewy book again and snipped the window frame bases and pushed them out a couple of millimetres, adding some plastic strip to the sides of the cab and adding 1mm wide bits of right angle channel into the gaps made in the frame between the upper and lower windows

DSC_9893.JPG

This does mean I'll have to replace the transparencies with clear acrylic sheet, but I think this looks much better than the original. My next job was a bit more tricky as I want to show the driver's door open so this meant cutting the right side door out from the panel. I then had to repair the inner framework which is moulded wrong in the first place - the diagonal inner frame goes to the bottom of the whole side panel rather then to the bottom of the door.

DSC_9894.JPG

Finally this evening I stuck the front and sides to the floor. This was complicated by the strips I'd added to the front now meaning the sides don't meet up with the angled floor as the kit is designed, so I had to add plastic strip shims to the front to give the side something to glue to rather than just the very back and front. This pic doesn't show it very well - I'll take another tomorrow of the underside to show what I mean properly.

Some duplicate figure kits arrived today as well for the British jeep crew, which means the driver now has arms and I'm waiting for a set of resin Aussie slouch hats to come over from Oz to provide appropriate head gear for the blokes standing around...

• Like 3

Nicley done, it is a simple fix, and when it comes fitting the cab sides the 1mm each side  i didn't have have any alignment issues or gaps, although i notice you've only cut out 1 door, so thats a grey area for me, liking it so far, one other thing, the gun rack, if you want put any rifles in it i had to lower mine down a few mm, don't  know why, may have been me, but the barrel of the rifle fouled the roof, regards

Glynn 

• Thanks 1

I wasn't sure whether I was going to put the rifles in there, however I'll take note of your suggestion :)

As promised here is the underside of the cab showing the plastic shims I've put in to provide a good anchor for the cab sides

DSC_9897.JPG

I've been trying to work up some enthusiasm for working on it tonight but today I learned that the new CTO my company has hired, an acne ridden  wet-behind-ears public school nobody (aka The Clerasil Kid) is unlikely to renew my contract this year at the end of February. The deal was SUPPOSED to be my 1 year contract was converted into a permanent role, but this waste of space arrived at the beginning of the month and has decided to out source all our software development to Bulgaria, in the process throwing away all the work my team have done over the years and starting again from scratch with a different platform and programming languages. The rest of my team are looking forward to at most 1 more year before they are made redundant but its most likely they'll all walk before then - with me being the first to exit.

So once again I'm looking for a job in February... this is the second time in 3 years my job has been outsourced by moronic money-grubbing executives - the previous company this happened to is now in major financial problems as the people they outsourced the work to are incapable of doing the job and its all falling apart! Shades of RBS lol

Anyway, the job hunting has begun this evening...

• Like 4

The weekend seems to have flown by with only a few hours spent on the build. However, some important milestones have been reached - first is that the build of the subcomponents of the Scammell is done and its all ready for paint:

DSC_9902.JPG

Of course as soon as I started painting, I discovered that I don't have enough XF-62 Olive Drab! So an order has been placed for more. In the meantime, build work has switched to the 15 cwt CMP, which if you remember had got as far as the chassis with some damage to the front wheels

DSC_9874.JPG

So I next realised that I'd made a mistake when digging out the central hub of one of the wheels in that I did it to one of the rear wheels! That has now been rectified and the central hub of one of the front wheels has been cut out of the wheel and glued to the hub and some small rods have been added to represent the bolts that the wheel should have been attached to

DSC_9905.JPG

These have been made different lengths to represent the sheering action that has taken the wheel off the hub. I'll dirty this area up a lot more to hide any inaccuracies. Now that is done I can look at continuing with the rest of the build. I still need to 'deflate' the tyres, but I think I'll try then when I'm not totally bunged up with a cold.

• Like 4

Well progress has come to a juddering halt due to going down with the horrible lurgy thats going round which has basically put me on my back for 3 days and I'm only now beginning to get over it! The last but of progress was Sunday night when I began constructing the base and laying out the scene. This is as far as I got, using polystyrene packing blocks kept from a delivery a while back, plus some plaster of paris cast rocks

DSC_9907.JPG

The next step should be to coat this in my usual claycrete, but I've been too unwell to bother with that, so its been stuck at this stage for a week.

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

So today I decided it was time to mix up the claycrete and paint and get on with the landscape, and I've very pleased I did because I seemed to get a good bit of work done and the end results looks pretty good to my eye. Its still drying - the claycrete can take several days to fully dry, but so far its looking very promising...

DSC_9919.JPG

The plaster rocks are showing through very well, giving a nice contrast to the sandy surface. I've added lots of small grass tufts of varying tones, plus some smaller stones to poke out of the surface in some places. Once the upper surface is dryer, I'll be adding some smoother sandy texture for the roadway and putting some tyre tracks in, along with an attempt to represent a skid and damage to the ground where the CMP went over the edge, but I need the surface to be dryer than it stands currently 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've overcome the lurgy, I started back on this build. The claycrete finally dried out after about a week and the base is looking rather fab! I used a wallpaper roller to flatten the road surface while it was still moist and then used the wheels of both vehicles to create tracks in the 'sand'. I want to add some more sand - ie crush pastel chalks over that road surface but sadly Hobbycraft have stopped stocking pastel chalks in a pick-and-mix display and they are only in sets now :( The old display was excellent as each stick of chalk was less than £2 and when ground up produced a ridiculous amount of weathering pigment! Oh well...

Anyway the build has continued on the CMP kit. This is an old kit form AIrfix and the mould was obviously getting on a bit even back then as there were a lot of mold seams, sing marks and ejector pins, but I've grown used to dealing with those in my build of Bandai Fire engines and Showmans Engines!

So here are all the main components ready for paint - there are a couple of PE sand channels from resicast on the top right and the Eduard PE grille in the upper centre. I'm going to pose the doors hanging open. The rear has been given an initial brush painted coat of various browns to represent the raw wood which will subsequently be covered in the usual sand-coloured paint and weathered to show some of the wood through the paint.

DSC_9927.JPG

For some reason the photos I'd taken of the current stages in the Scammell build failed to upload properly, so I'll re-upload them and post another update later...

• Like 1

Photos now working so here is another shot of the CMP cab from a different angle, showing the filler required to fill some enormous ejector pin marks

DSC_9929.JPG

and here is all the components for the Scammell Pioneer painted with Olive Drab and with its first coat of Klear

DSC_9925.JPG

This needs a second coat of Klear and then will get the hairspray treatment in prep for the sand colour...

• Like 2

Built the 15-CWT truck & 6 pounder years ago when I was a kid.  Got my interest as it was a great kit back then.  And always liked the big Scammells.  Watching your build might keep me away from getting another one.  Had the Bedford QL gun portee  and a 17 pounder too.

• Like 1

A very productive day in the shed yesterday! After two coats of Klear and two coats of hairspray (cheapo Sainsburys one), the Scammell is back to sand colour again - well mostly. Some areas I deliberately didn't try hard to cover to leave some green showing through as though the paint job wasn't thorough.

DSC_9931.JPG

This is a custom mix of XF-57 Buff, XF-59 Desert Yellow and XF-60 Dark Yellow, to get a sand colour that was different from the standard sand colours which I'll be using on the CMP. Next will be some careful paint chipping so as not to overdo it!

The CMP also got painted, this time with basic XF-59 Desert Yellow, which is a bit pinkinsh to be honest, however it did the trick. I then started laying about the model with clay-based washes, in particular flory models sand, Ultimate products light dirt and sand all mixed together which you can see in the milk-bottle top mixing pot on the right here

DSC_9932.JPG

You can see here what it looks like when laid down and allowed to dry. This will get brushed down to remove the excess. The sand channels look particularly fine here I reckon.

The cab of the CMP had an initial layer of Mig dark wash brushed into it earlier in the day and allowed to dry

DSC_9933.JPG

Then it got another wash layer applied of dark dirt (in the milk bottle top to the right) onto the floor of the cab. Underneath, the main drive train had been given a heavy coat of MiG dark wash earlier and when this was dry, the sandy clay wash was dabbed all over to get the dusty look.

DSC_9934.JPG

Again this will be brushed down to remove the excess. Finally in this update, the rest of the CMP has also been painted and washed, with particular attention paid to the rear deck. 

DSC_9935.JPG

This needs a great deal more attention to represent the usage it would have revived. The seats also need a bit of work to get them to show their rough usage 

• Like 4

Today's progress while listening to Sounds of the 70s...

I decided the windscreen would be broken, so I took a scalpel to it and made lots and lots of small scratches on either side of the transparency. I also cut off the molded wiper-blade so will need to add something back with some spare PE - I recokon it looks quite effective!

DSC_9937.JPG

This also shows the PE radiator grill added, after the original molded grill had been painted with XF-84, dark iron. I dirtied up the passenger window by cutting a piece of masking tape to represent the cleaned areal then painting the rest with a bit of XF-86, flat clear and once that was dry giving it a coat of my clay-based wash

The seats have been added to the inside of the cab, suitably dirtied down and weathered

DSC_9938.JPG

although in this photo it actually looks like I've gone too far with it. The steering wheel and instrument panel have also been added. Finally for now, the rear deck has been wetted down and scrubbed a bit to lift some of the sand paint to show the brown wood beneath. Its not very clear in this photo but you get the impression of wear and tear which is what I was aiming for

DSC_9939.JPG

and the rear board has been glued on int he lowered position. I still need to look out some tissue I dressed up as tarp/canvas some time ago which I reckon I can re-purpose into the canvas for the tilt. 

• Like 3

Work progressed further last night, focussing on the canvas tilt. I had made up some 'canvas' some time ago by taking some single-ply tissue and painting it with khaki and diluted pva glue and giving it a dirt wash. I found this in the spares box eventually and so cut some new pieces up for the CMP.

DSC_9955.JPG

Here you see it being applied over the frame while wet - there is another piece on the right side which is the 'front' of the truck bed that will be just behind the driver's cab. 

DSC_9941.JPG

From the other side I've folder the canvas up to give a clear view into the rear of the truck. I've also added the weathered seat cushions.

DSC_9940.JPG

When dried out the canvas tilt looks like this

DSC_9953.JPG

DSC_9952.JPG

The cab doors have had their glass put in and dirtied up

DSC_9942.JPG

and here is a better view of the broken windscreen

DSC_9943.JPG

From the inside which won't be easily visible

DSC_9944.JPG

Dry fit of the cab roof

DSC_9945.JPG

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 6

Well I think I can say this part of the build is complete... The last 2 things I had forgotten was to attache the fuel tanks and then there were the decals - oops, they should have gone on BEFORE the weathering! Oh well...

DSC_9979.JPG

DSC_9980.JPG

DSC_9981.JPG

and here is is posed in roughly the right position, with some of the debris and the truck contents removed ready for recovery

DSC_9984.JPG

Now to return the to the Scammell...

• Like 5

Spaek of the Scammell, I'm not going to make the same mistake as above and leave the decals until after the weathering, so first off I have to decide what is going on it. The CMP is marked up to be part of the 9th Australian Div, who took part in both battles at El Alemein and the siege of Tobruk, so I'm assuming the Scammell is also attached to the same division. As a result, I need their markings which were a platypus and boomerang:

tac-ww2-9-div.jpg

So I printed several of these on decal paper and gave them a couple of coats of decal film which did smudge the ink a little but not enough to ruin them.

DSC_0002.JPG

These got applied in the appropriate places along with the other decals I'm going to use.

DSC_0003.JPG

In addition, the paint chipping/weathering has begin, first on the seats for the cab

DSC_0004.JPG

The rest have had a paint bashing

DSC_0005.JPG

The inside of the cab has been attacked

DSC_0006.JPG

I still need to do some work on the levers and instrument panel. The rear of the can has also been scratched - the colour tone variations caused by the scouring will bend in better later once other weathering layers are applied

DSC_0007.JPG

The boom has been given a good scraping as this would be an obvious area of wear and tear

DSC_0008.JPG

Some other pieces showing paint damange

DSC_0009.JPG

I still need to do the rear deck and the other mudguard with the 9th div symbol and then I will be able to start assembly and final weathering.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, Kallisti said:

Now that I've overcome the lurgy, I started back on this build. The claycrete finally dried out after about a week and the base is looking rather fab! I used a wallpaper roller to flatten the road surface while it was still moist and then used the wheels of both vehicles to create tracks in the 'sand'. I want to add some more sand - ie crush pastel chalks over that road surface but sadly Hobbycraft have stopped stocking pastel chalks in a pick-and-mix display and they are only in sets now :( The old display was excellent as each stick of chalk was less than £2 and when ground up produced a ridiculous amount of weathering pigment! Oh well...

Another build/masterclass to follow with interest.

Whilst it might be "another nail in the coffin of the High Street" you can get reasonably priced individual pastel chalks from Ebay, try searching for "Derwent Pastel Blocks Individual" as a starting point.

Yup but it was nice to just be able to go along the rack and pick them rather than know in advance what colours I needed and even what the colours are called! :)

2 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Yup but it was nice to just be able to go along the rack and pick them rather than know in advance what colours I needed and even what the colours are called! :)

GPWM*

*Good Point Well Made