PK-116: Mosquito Mk.IX build in 12 easy steps - FINISHED

Basilisk

As PK-116 is missing in the GB, I will have a go at it. I purchased the kit last year at a swap meet for A$ 10. As the canopy for the NF-30 is missing, I have to build it as a Mk.IX from 105 Squadron.

PK-116.jpg

And here we go:

STEP 1 - parts

PK-116-1a.jpg

STEP 1 - completed

PK-116-1b.jpg

STEP 2 - parts

PK-116-2a.jpg

STEP 2 - completed

PK-116-2b.jpg

And then straight to STEP 4 - parts

PK-116-4a.jpg

STEP 4 - completed

PK-116-4b.jpg

STEP 5 - parts

PK-116-5a.jpg

More to come tomorrow.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 12

Peter,

Welcome to the Matchbox party.

I really like this type of basic WIP thread and was honestly contemplating doing something similar to one of Matchbox's Bf109 kits, however could not source one in time at 'reasonable' cost. Looking forward to it's quick progress.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Thanks chaps for the positive comments. But lets move on - made good progress today!

STEP 5 - completed

PK-116-5b.jpg

STEP 6 - parts

PK-116-6a.jpg

STEP 6 - completed

PK-116-6b.jpg

STEP 7 - parts

PK-116-7a.jpg

STEP 7 - completed

PK-116-7b.jpg

STEP 8 - parts

PK-116-8a.jpg

STEP 8 - completed

PK-116-8b.jpg

And then straight to STEP 10 - parts

PK-116-10a.jpg

STEP 10 - completed

PK-116-10b.jpg

STEP 11 - parts

PK-116-11a.jpg

I certainly have my "brm brm" moments - after all, the props do turn and the wheels do spin!

More to come tomorrow.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 11

Liking the look of this, I was given a partly trashed not very well built one of these some years ago but seeing your pristine build has got me thinking hmmmm...., for all its alleged short falls, mainly simplicity I think, this should come up looking really good.

Steve.

• Like 1

I'm just re-viewing these images on a larger screen and am very impressed by the immaculate seam / join lines that you've managed to obtain so far.

Excellent modelling!!

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2018 at 7:42 PM, stevehnz said:

Liking the look of this, I was given a partly trashed not very well built one of these some years ago but seeing your pristine build has got me thinking hmmmm...., for all its alleged short falls, mainly simplicity I think, this should come up looking really good.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Simplicity is certainly the key with this build!

On 1/28/2018 at 9:52 PM, stevej60 said:

Looking every part the "Mozzie" Peter great stuff!

It does has some resemblance with a Mosquito ;)

On 1/29/2018 at 1:06 PM, Thom216 said:

Looking good.

Thanks Thom

On 1/29/2018 at 2:01 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm just re-viewing these images on a larger screen and am very impressed by the immaculate seam / join lines that you've managed to obtain so far.

Excellent modelling!!

Cheers.. Dave.

Thanks Dave.

I found it an interesting challenge to build this kit and not using any filler. In all fairness, the fit is not bad at all. But it helps softening the surfaces to be glued with thin glue so that the softened plastic acts like a filler - works well. Then a quick make-over with a sanding and polishing stick and all looks very shiny :D

This are the tools I used.

Tools.jpg

Lets move on - STEP 11 - completed

PK-116-11b.jpg

PK-116-11c.jpg

STEP 12 - parts

PK-116-12a.jpg

Six more parts to be fitted and then the decals - hope they still work :hmmm:

Should be done by the weekend.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 9

She’s coming up trumps Peter. Thanks for the photos of your ‘weapons of choice’ and of course that well built little Mossie. 

Whats the big block of wood for? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Its a pleasure to participate here Dave.

I use the block of wood as a cutting board. I find it is much easier to manipulate plastic parts when slightly elevated  for cutting off the remains of the runners. It is one of the most used items when building a kit.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/1/2018 at 4:49 AM, Ventora3300 said:

Absolutely lovely as a 'bare' build. Any thoughts on doing a 'mini paint plan'. Is there time?

Thanks. Sorry, no mini paint plan as I like to keep this model as god intended it ;) After all, I would think that over 90% of all Matchbox kits built ended up as a "bare" build. Lets continue with the assembly.

STEP 12 - Complete

PK-116-12b.jpg

I did forget to take the picture before applying the decals.

STEP 13 - Done with decals

PK-116-13.jpg

This is the first Matchbox kit I ever built. The most difficult part was applying the old decals. They are printed rather out of register, but so is the whole kit! Nonetheless, I have to say that I enjoyed slapping this kit together and It is a great way for kids to get a colourful looking model without any paint :thumbsup: The problem is, kits don't build plastic models any more :(

PK-116-18.jpg

By the way, I made one change to the assembly. I fitted the areal on the fuselage very last after applying the decals and not in STEP 5 as shown in the assembly instructions.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 7

Some kids still build!

The Mossie looks great in bare plastic. Not all the Matchbox colour choices worked well on the finished models, but the Mosquito does look good in the green, grey and black. I only had the series 2 Airfix Mosquito as a kid, but this one looks like it went together fairly easily. I recently made another Series 2 Mossie and it took quite a lot of filler around the nacelles to make it work.

lytabuild_spit061.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2018 at 4:22 AM, Army_Air_Force said:

Some kids still build!

Sure they do, but not in the numbers as in the past. The model from your daughter is a great effort and she should be proud of it :clap2:

On 2/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, azureglo said:

Oh yes we do...

Anil

Well, I guess there are MANY still young at heart :D

On 2/4/2018 at 9:52 PM, Arniec said:

Great job Peter. I love it:thumbsup: This brings back a lot of memorries. 

Cheers

Thanks Arniec. It did bring back memories for me too, but when I was a kid, I worked myself through all the Airfix kit as Matchbox wasn't around yet.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1