1/24 UH-1D Huey conversion Take Me Home Huey

15 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Really impressive work there!

How did i miss the WIP on this??

Looking forward to seeing the paint scheme too

Thanks, I don't post my builds to often, just lazy, although I'm on here a lot. It is easy to miss.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is now done, but I will show the last bits I had to do, then post the finished link. I used corelpaint to trim the backrounds from the photos I found of the Huey, so they are a bit distorted. I was able to fill in the missing edges with paint and a second set of door decals printed in reverse. The paper separate pieces fitted together for sizing and testfitting. Always test print on plain paper so you don't waste decal paper. I was luck and had just enough white sheets, no one in town had any in stock and I wanted this done for the contest in a couple of days.

tmhh-wip-Apl-22-2019.jpg

Here's all the printed sheets. Now to cut them up so I can fit them into a bowl. I changed a few things to make it more personalized. I also couldn't get the exact pictures I needed but it has the same effect. I changed the tail murals, roof and made proper stars on the blue. One advantage of the fuselage camo being printed, you get all the surface details.

tmhh-wip-Apl-23-2019.jpg

Seven hours later, up almost all night, it's wrapped. The print on the decals did come off in spots from being moved around and scratched. I was able to touch it up with paint. 

tmhh-wip-Apl-24-2019-2.jpg

tmhh-wip-Apl-24-2019-1.jpg

It's all done now. Here's the link to the finished model. I had about three hours sleep before heading to the contest.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235054656-light-horse-legacys-take-me-home-huey/

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 8:14 PM, foresterab said:

I've seen some pretty crazy Bell - 205 paint jobs but this takes the cake.  Nice job and you've got the details down right.   

Cheers,

foresterab

Thanks Foresterab, somehow missed this.

no worries man,

Was watching a -205 carrying crews around today and thinking how much better it was then walking.   But then it would mean trying to keep up with a bunch of super active 18-22 year olds who like running and decided my role was better.

Grey with maroon trim design.  Sharp but nothing like your ship.   

foresterab

20 minutes ago, foresterab said:

no worries man,

Was watching a -205 carrying crews around today and thinking how much better it was then walking.   But then it would mean trying to keep up with a bunch of super active 18-22 year olds who like running and decided my role was better.

Grey with maroon trim design.  Sharp but nothing like your ship.   

foresterab

Thanks, there are some attractive paint schemes on these. They are a good canvas much like an F-4 and some others for paint schemes. I have four 1/72 D/H models and so far have two schemes picked out so far.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

• 2 years later...

Wow what a build, this is absolutely fantastic   the work to convert and extend is phenomenal,  congratulations on a stunning model and sorry for missing this too.  I would love one to do as an RAAF B with the white roof section , but the stash size and room left is prohibitive. 

I have rally enjoyed looking at your model though. 

Chris

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow what a build, this is absolutely fantastic   the work to convert and extend is phenomenal,  congratulations on a stunning model and sorry for missing this too.  I would love one to do as an RAAF B with the white roof section , but the stash size and room left is prohibitive. 

I have rally enjoyed looking at your model though. 

Chris

It's to bad there was never a conversion for this kit or a whole new one, the D and on version is very common and popular. These are a large model but being a two bladed helo, it can at least be parked along a wall.

6 hours ago, Alan P said:

Somehow this passed me by originally, my loss! Superb build and conversion, and the 'paint' job is fantastic.

Definitely with @Anthony in NZ on this...the coolest build on the net!

Thanks Alan.

• Like 3