1/24 UH-1D Huey conversion Take Me Home Huey

Been working on the tailboom. Realized I had to lengthen it by one inch at the front portion. It doesn't follow the same taper along the bottom, it actually goes flat to the fuselage. I made three pieces of sheet from 0.080 plastic sheet. The rearmost one slightly larger. The two front ones are meant to fit inside the fuselage. The molded skin on the kit boom is 0.060, so I had to keep that in mind with the larger bulkhead. I ran a strip around the inside of the boom for something to build onto and then covered it with 1mm thick strip. I used 1mm x 2.5 mm strips for the skinning. ground it smooth and filled where where needed. Make sure to keep eyeballing how straight the tail is to the fuselage and work slowly. The last thing you want is a twisted tailboom. I also filled the slots where the tail wings are plugged on. The real one has a tube going into the tailboom and is very noticable on the model.

take_me_home_huey_WIP_Apl_6_2018_1.jpg

Here's the mostly finished extension. I also saw that the rotor diameter is longer four actual feet. The tail wing parts won't be mounted on when done, so I thought of using them to extend the rotor blades. They are just slightly longer along the chord. I saw a trick for squaring prop tips, cut a key or notch into the blade. This will give far more strength and surface area for the glue, otherwise it'll just snap and piss you off, then you'll snap. Luckily this didn't happen here. The leftover wing parts will still be used. I saw a video where when this is set up for display, the tail wings are carried inside the cabin wrapped in a blanket then put on while on display. 

take_me_home_huey_WIP_Apl_6_2018_2.jpg

I said the fuselage was done, well, I changed my mind. I have a sheet of HO 3D rivets from Micro Mark and figured since it's such a big model, it will need surface detail no matter what. I just didn't add much under the belly, just around the curve a bit because it's only about 1/2 inch off the ground.

take_me_home_huey_WIP_Apl_10_2018.jpg

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 12

It's looking fab, the  tail boom extension is looking spot on. The extension to the boom is parrallel although it is   never easy to see from photographs. Those rivets are really making the difference too. It's such a tidy build , I'm sure everyone's  looking forward to seieng it completed. Will it be on the  trailer?

6 hours ago, matti64 said:

It's looking fab, the  tail boom extension is looking spot on. The extension to the boom is parrallel although it is   never easy to see from photographs. Those rivets are really making the difference too. It's such a tidy build , I'm sure everyone's  looking forward to seieng it completed. Will it be on the  trailer?

it seemed like real simple extension from the drawings. You could almost do a conversion from one to the other. The rivets are a slightly more tighter spacing pattern than the kits rivets on the boom, but it was that or use the ones i used on the fuselage and they would be spaced to far apart and look weird next to thew kit ones. Yes it will be on the trailer.   thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A wee bit more done, been busy with house and backyard renovations. Here with the bodywork done, I wanted to start putting on some primer. that's when I realized I still have to make a decal pattern.  I covered most of the airframe with aluminum foil lightly taped on. I'm going to draw all the wavy flag parts and any notes. I then want to take it all off and scan the foil, then draw the pattern and fine tune it on my draw program(Coreldraw, competitor to Adobe). Looking at the foil, I'd like to see a polished aluminum Huey.

take_me_home_huey_WIP_Apl_28_2018.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't done much yet, been busy working in my backyard. I did find out that Light Horse Legacy lighthorselegacy.org owns the helicopters and are a non profit. Steve Maloney made up he artwork and Take Me Home Huey is the name of the project. A great guy named Dave from Lighthorse has offered to help me with pictures of the decaling on the Huey, since he has access to it.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 2:39 AM, Max Headroom said:
On 5/24/2018 at 3:28 AM, AdrianMF said:

Great conversion! And I just did a google search on the original - that's some artwork ahead.

Regards,

Adrian

This is very impressive work and having seen pictures of the 1:1 original it will be a stunner when finished.

Trevor

thanks guys, this will be a different project for me to, dealing with this amount of decal work. Decals sometimes are just as much work as the building. I found out to that there are tensions between the artist and the light horse group which are going legal. He wants the whole unit because of the artwork and the Light horse says it's theirs(Light horse does own the Huey and rig). Be interesting to see how it unfolds.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found time to do a little bit. Had to do some work on this to relax me a bit before getting ready for a vacation and since I'm still waiting for photos of the decals, I thought I'd work on the main rotorhead. The first picture shows the kit's stock rotorhead. It's not bad but it's such a visable part I thought I should do something with it. I'm sure if someone wanted to, they could make this a fully functional part. A 3D printed part would be cool to see. There are a couple of videos of this on YT, it's really a fascinating bunch of parts when working. I still have to add linkages to the swash plate.

Huey_rotor_mast_WIP_May_25_2018.jpg

Here's the view (below) looking up after making the new parts(white). I also added the photos I found online and from a couple of links given to me(big thanks). I had to cut the transmission cut to make it fit in the fuselage after redoing the roof.

TMHH_main_rotor_hub_WIP_June_4_2018_1.jp

Here's the view looking down, I kind of eyeballed it a little from what I could see in the photos looking up.

TMHH_main_rotor_hub_WIP_June_4_2018_2.jp

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

The Huey's on hold for a bit so I started working on the Freightliner. Here's the link to the vehicle section on the forum.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/382-work-in-progress-vehicles/&do=add

On 7/30/2018 at 1:35 AM, JeroenS said:

Your post of the truck in the vehicle section made me aware of your work on the Huey. Brilliant stuff!

cool, it's easy to miss stuff on here unless you click on everthing. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/24/2018 at 12:58 PM, jstar said:

Recently found this build, and am very impressed. Any additional progress?

Sorry, not yet, didn't see your comment till just now. I paused the Freightlener to work on commisioned KW, follow the links. Hope to get back on this mid January. Need to test my printer with decal paper, hoping to do the decals myself.

Hi, seeing as you started this build back in January and it's now December. Being a chopper fan, how could I have possably missed your build??? Great work you are doing.

Colin

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi, seeing as you started this build back in January and it's now December. Being a chopper fan, how could I have possably missed your build??? Great work you are doing.

Colin

Thanks, I don't post to much, mostly because I'm lazy and procrastinate. When I do, it's a bunch of pictures at once.  I like helos to, just prefer two bladed ones because of the space they don't take up.

• 5 weeks later...

TMHH-WIP-foil-Jan-19-2019-4.jpg

Back on this for awhile. I layed out aluminum foil and drew the artwork on it in marker. When I took it off it deformed a bit. I scanned it after and used this to set up drawing on CorelDraw.

tmhh-WIP-Jan-26-2019-2.jpg

This demented mess is what I came up with. The upper left is the fuselage, below that is the chin. The big blue part is the belly. The light purple is the tail and the last one is the front part of the tail boom. Make sure to make small colour chips of the colours when picking them, monitors and programs all show something different. The light purple will not be used, just for testing.

tmhh-WIP-Jan-26-2019-1.jpg

I printed just the outlines on paper and fitted the paper to the model and did whatever tweaking was needed. Paper doesn't contour very good so the joint from the fuse to the tail boom is a difficult spot. The sketch is the start of what I can make out for the roof. I did find out the walkway on top is wider so I added a row on each side of sandpaper walkway I made in the center. It's 320 grit paper. I filled the seams after the picture was taken with a thin bit of superglue. The little green paint I put on is my own mix. I'm waiting on photos of the actual Huey from Lighthorse. In the meantime I'd thought I try drawing it out, mostly for something just to try.

On a side note, Lighthorse sold the Freightliner that hauled the Huey and now they need a permanent home for the Huey. They're still having problems with the artist guy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

tmhh-WIP-Feb-2-2019.jpg

Got some paint on, finally. This is a base colour of gloss acrylic light gull grey over Humbrol 147 grey. I chose this colour because it should work good with the decals later if I print them on white decal paper. I also didn't want to mask off the interior to paint the outside white. I widened the grip tape on the roof by adding two strips of sandpaper and carefully gluing the seams and brush painting it with the green I made up. I have to redo the intake grill fins to the corrograted mesh type.  The model is just loosely assembled for the picture. Had a hard time getting the masking tape off the floor, it was on a very long time. If this was sitting by itself, I would recommend a bit of nose weight. It's borderline about to fall on it's tail and the tail rotor is not put on yet. The rebuilt rear fuselage and lengthened tailboom added a lot of weight. I still need good photos of the sides and roof before I can finish the decals, most photos online are bad resolution or a bad angle. I plan on making the same thing in 1/72 but won't be as picky.

• Like 7