JAS-39A Gripen, Italeri 1/48th

Mark V

Here are a couple of photos of my Italeri 1/48th Saab JAS-39A Gripen.  I haven't been spending much time on it lately, maybe a few minutes every couple of days painting something on the seat or the cockpit.  Finally got to where I could put the big parts together.  I'll add a little filler along some of the seams, but overall it went together pretty well.  Easier than the Revell Eurofighter Typhoon. 

I plan on painting it up as a Swedish line jet with kit decals.  Planned on straight out of the box but the long nose pitot is broken on the sprue, so I'll replace it with a blunted needle or something.  Hopefully the one on the vertical tail will survive.  I'll probably tape a piece of index card folded over it to try to protect it.  I really don't want to spend the money on the brass pitot tubes and the AOA probe.

JAS-39 Gripen, Italeri 1/48th scale

The intakes look like there are big seams open, but it's bleed over of the black paint at the aft of the intake under the part.  It's really a good fit.

In the background is my G.I. Joe Astrolocker from about 1969 or so.  It's been my model supply storage box since college.  That's when I put the ROTC sticker on it.

The exhaust areas aft of the cockpit look uneven.  I think it's a combination of paint on the inside and the angle of the photo.  They are lined up closer on the model.

JAS-39 Gripen Martin Baker Mk 10L Ejection Seat 1/48

• Like 6