Flying Boats & Float Planes 2 GB Chat

I'll hopefully be joining with this. 

resized_476f365c-0023-4a4a-832d-aaf43ba0

And it will be this one, as we flew on it on holiday a couple of years ago. That's my bag being loaded. A completely different experience from the A380 we arrived in Mali on before transferring to the Twin Otter. Although this is our flight back to Mali. Little boat out to the floating jetty and then climbing on after the steward has the bags loaded and balanced. 

resized_61b2fd36-4545-452e-beee-b3b571f1

Modern cockpit but tropical rig for the pilots. 

resized_662fdab4-2e0a-4995-bade-4c030ac9

I have suitable transfers already already in the stash from 26 Decals, although I'll have to make up the registration. There are enough letters to make up 8Q TMA. 

resized_ee2ba74b-d47d-4e9f-8060-0e81fa74

• Like 7

I’ve been looking forward to this GB - the last one was a lot of fun and featured some amazing builds. I’ll be building big flying boats in a small scale this time round - planning on three builds, all in 1/144: Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind (Anigrand), Beriev A-40 Mermaid (also Anigrand) and Beriev Be-200 (Eastern Express). The two Anigrand kits will be my first all-resin builds. The Mermaid is still in the post so I’ll probably start the Tradewind first - just got to get the Thud in the sharkmouths GB finished this weekend, then will get started.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, zebra said:

I’ve been looking forward to this GB - the last one was a lot of fun and featured some amazing builds. I’ll be building big flying boats in a small scale this time round - planning on three builds, all in 1/144: Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind (Anigrand), Beriev A-40 Mermaid (also Anigrand) and Beriev Be-200 (Eastern Express). The two Anigrand kits will be my first all-resin builds. The Mermaid is still in the post so I’ll probably start the Tradewind first - just got to get the Thud in the sharkmouths GB finished this weekend, then will get started.

Goodness me, 3 iconic builds I can't wait to see them being built.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Avereda said:

I’ll be resurrecting this from Floatplanes I, if that’s still ok

Absolutely, any unfinished builds from our last GB are automatically entered in this one so please start a thread

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Pat ( @JOCKNEY ) kindly agreed with my proposal of using the banner of the first edition of this GB for the current GB, just with updated title and dates. So here it is:

Just copy the image (or the image location) and insert it in your signature.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Dear All,

Just to let you know that the GB officially started at 00:00 hours today (11 hours 12 minutes ago).

So, let's all get to the bench and start building :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

Dear All,

Here are the first statistics for the GB, after one day of the official starting date. I'll try to publish updated statistics at the end of each week of the GB from now on.

Total number of entries: 19

1. Build status

Not started --------------- 15

Started -------------------- 4

Finished ------------------- 0

2. Per type

Float planes -------------- 12

Flying boats -------------- 6

Ekranoplanes ------------- 1

Amphibian helicopters --- 0

Helicopters on floats ----- 0

3. Per usage

Military ---------------------- 15

Civilian ---------------------- 4

4. Per Scale

1:72 ------------------------- 13

1:48 ------------------------- 5

1:144 ----------------------- 1

5. Kit makers

Frog ------------------------- 2

Special Hobby -------------- 2

ABM ------------------------ 1

Airfix ------------------------ 1

Aviation USK --------------- 1

Hasegawa ------------------ 1

Italeri ----------------------- 1

Karaya ---------------------- 1

Matchbox ------------------ 1

Roden ---------------------- 1

Smer ----------------------- 1

Supermodel ---------------- 1

Sword ---------------------- 1

Tamiya ---------------------- 1

Testors ---------------------- 1

Zvezda ---------------------- 1

No makers ------------------ 1

6. Main medium

Injection moulded styrene -------------- 16

Resin kit ----------------------------------- 2

Scratch built (wood, plastic, metal) ------- 1

Vacform kit -------------------------------- 0

7. Country of operation

UK ------------------------------ 6

Germany ----------------------- 3

Australia ----------------------- 2

Italy ---------------------------- 2

Japan -------------------------- 2

Soviet Union ------------------ 2

Austria-Hungary -------------- 1

New Zealand ----------------- 1

7. Period of operation

WWII ------------------------- 8

Between wars ---------------- 5

Modern (post-WWII) -------- 4

WWI ------------------------- 2

Pre-WWI --------------------- 0

I hope you find this information interesting.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

The postie just delivered my Anigrand Beriev A-40. Looks nice, can't wait to get started. One of the three bonus kits is the Beriev R-1 - Beriev's first jet flying boat and the ancestor of the A-40 and Be-200. Seems appropriate to build the R-1 as well, so that's four builds now! Really ought to make a start.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, zebra said:

The postie just delivered my Anigrand Beriev A-40. Looks nice, can't wait to get started. One of the three bonus kits is the Beriev R-1 - Beriev's first jet flying boat and the ancestor of the A-40 and Be-200. Seems appropriate to build the R-1 as well, so that's four builds now! Really ought to make a start.

Great machines! Can't wait to see your build threads started!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 2:06 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Absolutely, any unfinished builds from our last GB are automatically entered in this one so please start a thread

Cheers Pat 

How about my Late 302?

• Like 2

Hi,

What are the rules if I may ask.  Haven’t actually cut any styrene yet but have been thinking of scratching another one anyway.  Too late?

Dennis

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Hi,

What are the rules if I may ask.  Haven’t actually cut any styrene yet but have been thinking of scratching another one anyway.  Too late?

Dennis

Hi Dennis

We have only just started so please start a thread it will be great to have you with us.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

Of course there are rules and I just read them on the first page where I should have looked to begin with.  Sorry, senior moment. I am here, page 3, #65 with the Macchi M.33 build.  Wouldn’t call it 25% yet. What do you think?  Acceptable?

Dennis

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Hi Pat,

Of course there are rules and I just read them on the first page where I should have looked to begin with.  Sorry, senior moment. I am here, page 3, #65 with the Macchi M.33 build.  Wouldn’t call it 25% yet. What do you think?  Acceptable?

Dennis

Using my licence as co-host with Jaime, it's no problem including it in this GB, you are very welcome and I hope we can all the provide the support and encouragement to allow you to finish it in this GB.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Using my licence as co-host with Jaime, it's no problem including it in this GB

Excellent, and thank you.  I can, using most of the WiP photos, start a fresh WiP for this GB, minus the previous replies and attaboy.

Dennis

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I would be delighted to see such distinguished company joining the GB, please start the thread for it.

I just realized that I was a bit confused about GBs, it was started in the "Coastal Command", another floaty stuff but not quite the previous incarnation of "Flying Boats GB". 

Pat, do I still have your approval to move the build to this GB?

Thanks

• Like 2

I wouldn’t call myself a floatplane fanatic but I’ve always liked them, mostly those I would call “main stream “ types.  Years ago I built the Monogram Kinfisher intending to use it as a model for an oil painting, which never happened.  Since I signed on to this GB, however, I have been astonished at the variety that are available in kit form.  I am going to really enjoy this following these build threads.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

On 03/09/2019 at 21:17, bigbadbadge said:

Hi @Pat

Would you mind if I joined this one too? I have only built one in the Frog Squad build and it is still going. If it's okay I would like to do an OOB build of an AZmodel Grumman Gosling.

Thanks

Chris

Absolutely Chris

Welcome aboard, please start a build thread and good luck with the build.

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1