Flying Boats & Float Planes 2 GB Chat

Having throughly enjoyed the recent "Flying Boats & Floatplanes GB" I though I would book a page in peoples diary to say, let's do it again.

So if you enjoyed the last one even half as much i I did, or you missed the chance last time, let's start gathering names ready for the next chance to get this one in for 2019. I will update this page as hopefully people add their names to the list.

Also let everyone know what you fancy building. If we learnt anything last time, there's no shortage of choice !

Participants

1. @JOCKNEY

2. @nimrod54

3. @John D.C. Masters

4. @Sabre_days

5. @jrlx

6. @Dazey

7. @LDSModeller

8. @Romeo Alpha Yankee

9. @zebra

10. @Ray S

11. @Rick Brown

12. @Col.

13. @Paul J

14. @JWM

15. @Knight_Flyer

16. @SleeperService

17. @CliffB

18. @Dermo245

19. @MarkSH

20. @S48

21. @zegeye

22. @Erwin

23. @Ted

24. @greggles.w

25. @SeaPlane

26. @bigbadbadge

27.  @phoenix

28. @Grandboof

29. @Arniec

30. @Avereda

31. @Blitz23

32. @TonyTiger66

33. @Thom216

34. @Muddyf

35.  @PeterB

36. @philp

Update

We now have our dates for the 2019 Group Build

Saturday 31st August 2019           To        Sunday 22nd December 2019

Cheers Pat

• Like 7

I'm liking it because it's a top idea. I won't say I'll be in it, because I'm not signing up for GBs for the foreseeable future (false pretences and all that). I will however vote for it, just in case I get the chance to enter.

Good luck with it Pat, if last time was anything to go by, another run should be very popular and result in some stunning models.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob G said:

I'm liking it because it's a top idea. I won't say I'll be in it, because I'm not signing up for GBs for the foreseeable future (false pretences and all that). I will however vote for it, just in case I get the chance to enter.

Good luck with it Pat, if last time was anything to go by, another run should be very popular and result in some stunning models.

Well done Rob, lovely to hear from you.

Are you sure I can't tempt you ?

You must have something suitable lurking in the stash....go on you know you want to ! :wicked:

• Thanks 1

Oh, I have lots in the stash (including a WNW Hansa-Brandenberg W.12), some of which were meant to be built for the recently finished event (including the WNW Hansa-Brandenberg W.12).

However, I find not finishing GBs to be quite depressing, and I'm not a fan of depressing. Life being as it is right now, I've decided that until I have more definitely available free time, I'm not signing anything. I'm aware that it'll be 2019 at the earliest that this proposal will bear fruit, but with the life plans that I have for the next 12-18 months, that free time won't be available. Instead, I'm concentrating on finishing as many of the myriad shelf queens that I have as I can, and counting myself lucky when I can get some bench time.

I have no doubt that many of the previous suspects will show up to swell the ranks and that this'un will be as good as the last'un. Which managed to be a roaring success despite my virtual non-participation. :)

• Like 2

Yes please, put me down for round 2 Pat. I remember making a complete pigs ear of the Airfix Grumman Duck as an ankle-biter, so that might be due a revisit, or perhaps I could do G-AAZR, the second DH 60G from BAARE. Painted in yellow, it would make a nice shelf mate for G-AAUR.

• Like 2

Really regret having missed last year's edition, it was a very busy autumn for me. Please count me in!

Being from Vancouver, I think I'll go for something with local interest...a Twin Otter or maybe a Turbo Otter if I can track down the conversion.

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

Great idea having a second run of the theme! Count me in, of course! I have many floaty candidates in the stash and keep adding a few whenever I see one :)

I'm still working on my Dornier from the first edition of the GB. I few more weeks and should be finished...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 7:53 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Having throughly enjoyed the recent "Flying Boats & Floatplanes GB" I though I would book a page in peoples diary to say, let's do it again.

So if you enjoyed the last one even half as much i I did, or you missed the chance last time, let's start gathering names ready for the next chance to get this one in for 2019. I will update this page as hopefully people add their names to the list.

Also let everyone know what you fancy building. If we learnt anything last time, there's no shortage of choice !

Participants

Jockney

Nimrod54

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Great idea – count me in.

Despite the fantastic array of subjects from the recent flying boat and floatplane GB, I was a bit surprised there were no catapults, nor any Norsemans (or any of the Canadian bush planes, I think). That needs to be addressed. So, my tentative options would be the Revell re-boxing of the Matchbox 1/72 Norseman done as a Canadian civil option and/or ooooold Hasegawa 1/72 Aichi E13A1 Jake with catapult.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Egads man...!  Have you no shame?  Taking advantage of poor modelling addicts like me...

yes, yes...put me down on the list as well...:mental:

Hi John

You know me so well :sorry: welcome to the start of another great GB

cheers Pat

14 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

Really regret having missed last year's edition, it was a very busy autumn for me. Please count me in!

Being from Vancouver, I think I'll go for something with local interest...a Twin Otter or maybe a Turbo Otter if I can track down the conversion.

Hi Sabre_days

Welcome to the start of another great GB adventure, I've never heard of a Turbo Otter. Trying not to think of a poor aquatic mammal with a jet engine attached to it !

If the new GB brings the same diversity of types as the last one, who knows what will turn up !

cheers Pat

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Pat,

Great idea having a second run of the theme! Count me in, of course! I have many floaty candidates in the stash and keep adding a few whenever I see one :)

I'm still working on my Dornier from the first edition of the GB. I few more weeks and should be finished...

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime

Or should that be GB god :worthy: ! 

I enjoyed the last one so much, I've have become a addict, so we have to have another one in the pipeline to look forward to. Yes I know if we are successful it won't be till 2019, but good things come those that wait as the Guinness ad says :drink:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dazey said:

Hi Pat,

Great idea – count me in.

Despite the fantastic array of subjects from the recent flying boat and floatplane GB, I was a bit surprised there were no catapults, nor any Norsemans (or any of the Canadian bush planes, I think). That needs to be addressed. So, my tentative options would be the Revell re-boxing of the Matchbox 1/72 Norseman done as a Canadian civil option and/or ooooold Hasegawa 1/72 Aichi E13A1 Jake with catapult.

Regards,

David

Hi David

I completely agree that despite the number of builds, some very obvious ones still slipped through the net. I love the idea of a catapult I think Hasegawa did an Alf on a catapult as well.  I apologise that young Rose didn't finish her Romanian Arado 196, blame her dad who shamelessly abandoned his Blackburn Perth. Plus we didn't get an Ekranoplan which can be corrected this time as I picked up a cheap one on evilBay recently 

cheers Pat

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Pat,

Sign me up, I have "other" Flying Boats/Seaplanes in my stash, and

2019 is a ways off :D

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan

Great to hear from you, I will be encouraging people to post pictures of suitable candidates from their stash on here as we go to keep us all motivated and for the forgetful of us to remind us that we have one as well but now due to age can't remember what we have done with it !

Cheers Pat

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice idea of a continuation, count me in. I have few smaller types that I can contribute for the next one.

Great to hear from you RAY

Let everyone know what you fancy building as it often inspires others to join as it was something they had never thought of building previously.

Time to update the list of names !

cheers Pat

Cheers Pat,

Currently in the stash and suitable for the next episode I have:

Another 1/72 Academy Catalina (with another PB2B-2 conversion)

1/72 Italeri Sunderland (a Sandringham conversion is lurking in the stash as well)

1/72 Hasegawa Martin Marlin

1/72 Minicraft Martin Mariner

1/72 Revell Twin Otter

1/72 Airfix and Hobbycraft Beavers

1/72 Hobbycraft Otter

So plenty to go on with when the time comes

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Alan

Great to hear from you, I will be encouraging people to post pictures of suitable candidates from their stash on here as we go to keep us all motivated and for the forgetful of us to remind us that we have one as well but now due to age can't remember what we have done with it !

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

I have the following in the stash for the group build (this is a slightly older photo, so the Kader Sunderland and Italeri Sunderland are out)

5dc01bbf-2ea0-4f26-ac7d-2ccabd87886b.jpg

The Marlin below is a strong contender:D

984c107e-ed94-4706-8caf-8e0c0150f179.jpg

a Curtiss Seahawk

51d34529-1a63-4938-85a9-1423620375b1.jpg

One I don't currently have a photo of is an Old Panda Catalina about 1/100 scale

Mentioned in an above post by Dazey re Catapults, but won't be in the group build as it is well and

truly underway, is this kit of a Hasegawa Aichi Jake and Catapult

bdb684c3-3214-49c2-b763-970ebd72cbfc.jpg

So a few to choose from - I still have  few Sunderland's too but plan to build them before then

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Hello, can you count me in please?

I can start sanding out my 1/72 Aeroclub Felixstowe vacform soon and have it ready to build in time (maybe!). Failing that, I have a Twin Otter with Maldivian Air Taxi transfers. And probably some other kits too if I looked carefully.

Ray

• Like 1

On 28/01/2018 at 9:29 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Cheers Pat,

Currently in the stash and suitable for the next episode I have:

Another 1/72 Academy Catalina (with another PB2B-2 conversion)

1/72 Italeri Sunderland (a Sandringham conversion is lurking in the stash as well)

1/72 Hasegawa Martin Marlin

1/72 Minicraft Martin Mariner

1/72 Revell Twin Otter

1/72 Airfix and Hobbycraft Beavers

1/72 Hobbycraft Otter

So plenty to go on with when the time comes

Wonderful choices Ray

I would love to see the Mariner built. It's an aircraft I'm very interested in as the only one I'm aware of used by Coastal Command was based locally in Oban see below

IMG_3748

If anyone can enlighten me about it, I'm all ears !

cheers Pat

• Like 3

23 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Pat,

I have the following in the stash for the group build (this is a slightly older photo, so the Kader Sunderland and Italeri Sunderland are out)

5dc01bbf-2ea0-4f26-ac7d-2ccabd87886b.jpg

The Marlin below is a strong contender:D

984c107e-ed94-4706-8caf-8e0c0150f179.jpg

a Curtiss Seahawk

51d34529-1a63-4938-85a9-1423620375b1.jpg

One I don't currently have a photo of is an Old Panda Catalina about 1/100 scale

Mentioned in an above post by Dazey re Catapults, but won't be in the group build as it is well and

truly underway, is this kit of a Hasegawa Aichi Jake and Catapult

bdb684c3-3214-49c2-b763-970ebd72cbfc.jpg

So a few to choose from - I still have  few Sunderland's too but plan to build them before then

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Great selection, I love the Tradewind, in its wacky scale, I have the same kit but also in a moment of madness managed to find and buy the Combat Models 1/72 scale Vacform version ! I just wish my modelling skill could do it justice.

I look forward to seeing which one or ones, you go for.

cheers Pat