Flying Boats & Float Planes 2 GB Chat

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Mrs Jockney and I have 2 sets of twins, now 17 & 13, so we had 4 under 4 at the beginning !

So you can tell Mrs Greggles it could have been a lot worse, after all we now have 4 teenagers to deal with !

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Regarding the builds in this GB, I have to finish my Blackburn Perth, other options are Dornier doX, Heinkel he60, aviation Usk Pete or Ro43, I think I have a seafox somewhere which needs finishing. 

Pat, you're a man of real courage on all accounts!

Cheers

Jaime

• Haha 1

Years ago when I worked in a bank we were transferring the customer records to computer. I came across a chap who had 5 kids, each one born almost exactly a year apart. His occupation was listed as Precision Grinder! Good job he did not have twins each time like Pat or his wife would probably have had his equipment disconnected.

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 7

I'll have a go at this one. I've been wanting to try a floaty plane for a while, just need to buy one now!

Edit: Had a quick look on eBay and bought a Mirage Hobby 1/48 Lublin R.XIII for a tenner. Never heard of it so should be interesting.

spacer.png

Edited by Moonlighter
  • Like 5

I was ordering a couple of Frog kits and saw an old KP Letov floatplane so for £3:99 took a punt,kits arrived

and it's not bad at all, Decal's useless and the chances of finding replacements zilch but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

On 8/13/2019 at 10:13 AM, Moonlighter said:

I'll have a go at this one. I've been wanting to try a floaty plane for a while, just need to buy one now!

Edit: Had a quick look on eBay and bought a Mirage Hobby 1/48 Lublin R.XIII for a tenner. Never heard of it so should be interesting.

spacer.png

This will be a real challenge. I'm working on it now.

Edited by zegeye
  • Like 2

I'd forgotten about this GB.  Hand shakey permitting, I have a couple in my stash that I might have a go at

One is the very old tooling of the Airfix Walrus with just raised lines for the wing ribs and very fine rivets to fuselage. Not sure where I got it, but someone had started painting parts before assembly. Only guns missing and one half of the  4 blade propeller. No decals but thats no problem as I have a plan and can use up some decals from my generic sets. 

Also, just arrived a AZUR  Sea Otter with civvy decals.

• Like 3

Well, the vac-form canopies came in from Falcon for my 1/72 He-115 - and I am a little disappointed. I expected some clear (if not crystal) canopies, instead they are all a bit fogged. Still better than the kit parts but the clearest parts on them are the framing! Looks like that before I try them, I'll try and sand/polish the kit canopy and clear that up. If that doesn't work then I'll use the Falcons and won't worry about detailing the interior.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thom

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I am a little disappointed. I expected some clear (if not crystal) canopies, instead they are all a bit fogged.

You could try dipping them in Alclad's Aqua Gloss. It usually improves brilliance and transparency.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

While preparing for this GB and my very old tool Airfix Walrus, can someone point me in right direction with good pics showing the rigging arrangement please. Thanks!  All I have as reference is the Profile Publication and the photos in it are not the best I've seen.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Paul J said:

can someone point me in right direction with good pics showing the rigging arrangement please

I found some drawings that can be downloaded on the Seawings web site.

http://www.seawings.co.uk/

I'll have to leave you rummaging around for the actually page, because that site is crammed full of useful information.

• Like 3

Haveing now finished a bussy workperiod and the upcomeing start of Autumn and longer nights  i think it time to enter another G/B .

I had originaly intended to build the 1/48 Special Hobby Heinkel He 115b in the first flying boats and float planes G/B but that never happend so here it is again withi hope a good chance of getting completed .

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My proposed entries for this GB.

bulMmD.jpg

Original wrappers from my Airfix stash of old school instructions and the kit that has been hiding in a box for he Airfix Dominie!  As yo see someone had made a strat at pre painting before building...
ENjx3T.jpg

The instructions. The insides being identical to each other.
A1vQtJ.jpg

I think I must have predrilled holes for the rigging at a point when I last took this kit out in to daylight
j6YRrl.jpg

4Bkf9R.jpg

And, time permitting I will have a go at this, A very recent purchase from Hannants.  (by the way, the Provost lurking at the back is one from the box of doom brought out after being inspired byt the ITYIWB gb and hope to urge me in building the unmade kit I have too.)

Maenawhile back to the seaplnes, The Arifix Walrus has a few parts missing like one half of the prop, a pair od short stuts that fit in to the engine pod, and a couple other bits All I am hoping will be easy to replace somehow

• Like 5

My entry to the GB will be the Zvezda 1/144 Ekranoplane:

174034-12660-20-pristine.jpg

Seems to be a very simple build (detailed pictures of the content here, pictures of the real thing can also be found here) It should be noted this is a rebox of the Revell kit.

I think the main challenge in this build will be the weathering. I'll try to apply what I learned weathering my Do-24.

A possible additional entry would be Italeri's 1/72 Ju-52 on floats:

197140-15582-62-pristine.jpg

This one looks very nice in the sprues but it's much more complex.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I should have a go at this, I'm not sure if I'd registered an interest prior but would be keen with either a J2F Duck from Murphy's War or the Graf Spee's Arado Ar196.

Steve.

Great to have you on board, Steve! Both the Duck and the Arado would be great choices. Do you have specific kits in mind? I've done the Airfix Duck myself. It makes a good looking model but it's a dog to build.

Cheers

Jaime

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I should have a go at this, I'm not sure if I'd registered an interest prior but would be keen with either a J2F Duck from Murphy's War or the Graf Spee's Arado Ar196.

Steve.

If you opt to go with the Arado ? You could always build the Duck in the Movie/TV Group build ? 😉 my apologies for the shameless plug. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Do you have specific kits in mind? I've done the Airfix Duck myself. It makes a good looking model but it's a dog to build.

That,s the one, I've seen some nice builds from it, the challenge will be replicating them. :) 

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You could always build the Duck in the Movie/TV Group build ?

You might just be helping me decide Dennis, though I've another Arado I was going to do at some stage as the one from Tintin & the Shooting Star., maybe, it would be a rebuild.

Steve.

• Like 3

On 20/08/2019 at 01:46, Mottlemaster said:

Haveing now finished a bussy workperiod and the upcomeing start of Autumn and longer nights  i think it time to enter another G/B .

I had originaly intended to build the 1/48 Special Hobby Heinkel He 115b in the first flying boats and float planes G/B but that never happend so here it is again withi hope a good chance of getting completed .

Cheers

Alistair

That's great Alistair.  I had thoughts of doing this one, but decided it might be too big of a project to get done in time.  You how slow I am. 

I will be following your build.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I had thoughts of doing this one, but decided it might be too big of a project to get done in time.  You how slow I am. 

I will be following your build.

Greg it would be great if you did yours at the same time .>Im sure we could save some time by pooling our reserch and observations  .

cheers

Alistair

Alistair 

I would like to join you, but honestly I can't see myself getting it done in time.  I know  it has a few issues to over come and I am still struggling with my Beaufort, plus I have a Me 262 to do for the Film GB. This is why I feel it would overload me. However,  I will be following your build very intently as I will be doing this in the future.God willing. 

I'm now getting to an age where time and energy is an issue. ☹

22 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I'm now getting to an age where time and energy is an issue. ☹

Know that feeling well though being retired should make it easier. Unfortunately my wife seems Hell Bent on keeping me occupied!

Pete

Hi everyone 

I have been given the official @Enzo Matrix kick in the rear to get this GB underway, so please accept my apologies for not having been on the ball with this one, the Frog GB has been far more successful than I could ever have anticipated.

I have posted the welcome and rules, no change from Jaime's great work last time.

Good luck to everyone who takes part, if we are fortunate to have the amazingly diverse mixture of builds and aircraft types that we had last time, this will truly be a GB to remember.

cheers Pat

• Like 3