Flying Boats & Float Planes 2 GB Chat

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

Clever and it looked good as well. Nice one Pat. Props look like they are chrome plated.

Pete

Hi Pete

I used one of these for the chrome effect

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Pump-Marker-Pen-1mm-Nib/263760305982?epid=571416455&hash=item3d6956df3e:g:FBcAAOSwMnZcXrtW

Other sellers and manufacturers are available :D

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

What is the position regarding posting one or two pics from a book I have - is there a copyright problem? Obviously I would put a credit on indicating the source.  When you have time perhaps you could put me on the list with my "clog".

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

What is the position regarding posting one or two pics from a book I have - is there a copyright problem? Obviously I would put a credit on indicating the source.  When you have time perhaps you could put me on the list with my "clog".

Cheers

Pete

If you are not sure, you could always post a link to an online photo. 

here are some rules on the subject. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you are not sure, you could always post a link to an online photo. 

here are some rules on the subject. 

Dennis

Hi,

As the point seems unclear I have emailed the publisher for permission so we will see what happens.

Pete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete

You are officially on the list.

The guidance link above should keep you out of trouble.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi,

The other problem I have at the moment is paint for my Bv138. I am comfortable with 70/71 on land planes, but maritime Luftwaffe machines were apparently painted in 72/73. I am steadily converting to Tamiya/Mr Hobby acrylics and wonder if anybody could suggest matches for these 2 colours. I have painted a sample with Xtracolour enamels which are usually pretty good, but there seems to be far less difference between 72/73 when compared with their 70/71 - would that be correct?

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

From Cybermodeler its a good RLM Paint comparison chart. Scroll down to RLM72-73. Theyre may not be a direct match from Tamiya but it gives you a decent swatch to try and match. 

https://www.cybermodeler.com/color/rlm_table.shtml

Hope this helps a little ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

I've got message that I am supoused to be in. OK, I confirm beeing "in". I still have plenty of floatplanes in stash, even despite the fact that last more then ten models were amphibians and flying boats!

Maybe it will be BV 222? ;)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 7:21 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Thom

To my deep shame I don't recall ever having built the He115, however I have built the same M.C.72 kit and it's a cracker. However the float strutt location is down to you as the kit guidance is shocking, i.e. Which strutt front or back, which side the where on the fuselage and we haven't got round to the angles yet ! :frantic:

However dont be put off cause it looks like this when you are finished 

IMG_3842

IMG_3840

Mine is nothing to write home about but I'm pleased with how it turned out

cheers Pat

Thanks! She turned out great! I think I'll be starting with this one.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

From Cybermodeler its a good RLM Paint comparison chart. Scroll down to RLM72-73. Theyre may not be a direct match from Tamiya but it gives you a decent swatch to try and match. 

https://www.cybermodeler.com/color/rlm_table.shtml

Hope this helps a little ? 

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for that. I have looked at the chart you mentioned together with a good few others but although helpful they are all subject to the usual problems of how they were scanned/produced and how your monitor is set up, so just how close they are to the original is a matter of debate. Paint is a subject people have been arguing over since the first modelling magazine was published I guess. In real life it seems there were variations not only between different manufacturers but even in different batches from the same source, and when you add in variations due to application and weathering it becomes a real mess. As to "Scale Colour" I won't even bother going into that.

72 and 73 seem to be pretty close to each other but on the previous float/seaplane GB I saw one or two models with quite a difference, and it looked OK - I might try a few different greens and see what I come up with.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for that. I have looked at the chart you mentioned together with a good few others but although helpful they are all subject to the usual problems of how they were scanned/produced and how your monitor is set up, so just how close they are to the original is a matter of debate. Paint is a subject people have been arguing over since the first modelling magazine was published I guess. In real life it seems there were variations not only between different manufacturers but even in different batches from the same source, and when you add in variations due to application and weathering it becomes a real mess. As to "Scale Colour" I won't even bother going into that.

72 and 73 seem to be pretty close to each other but on the previous float/seaplane GB I saw one or two models with quite a difference, and it looked OK - I might try a few different greens and see what I come up with.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

I built a Dornier Do-24 for the original edition of this GB and had the same problem. In the end I opted for Tamiya's XF-26 and XF-27 for RLM 72 and 73, respectively (I found these correspondences it a colour chart). They're not close to each other but looked good compared to the kit's instructions.

You can see how it looks here.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Pete,

I built a Dornier Do-24 for the original edition of this GB and had the same problem. In the end I opted for Tamiya's XF-26 and XF-27 for RLM 72 and 73, respectively (I found these correspondences it a colour chart). They're not close to each other but looked good compared to the kit's instructions.

You can see how it looks here.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime,

That was probably the build I saw. I have ordered some Humbrol acrylics which are stated to be 72 and 73 and we will see what they look like. If I don't like them I may well try your suggested Tamiya paint.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Jaime,

Final word on subject. The Humbrol Acrylic 72/73 are a little darker and bluer than the Xtracolour enamel but again both very similar which seems perhaps to be correct for new paint - in his book "Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945" Ullmann has a pic of a Dornier 217E with a caption saying it is in the "low contrast 72/73". That makes me wonder if the various profiles I have seen showing 217's in a one colour green finish (like Airfix did with their kit when it came out) is due to failure to spot the pattern on old photos.

Incidentally, he also indicates that Dornier may have used a different colour as he lists two versions of both colours. RLM called both Grun but Dornier called 72 Mittlegrun and 73 Dunkelgrun and he also has a pic showing noticeable contrast on what he calls a weathered finish, so your Do24 is probably correct - it looks good anyway. I might use the more olive Xtracolour 72 with the darker and bluer Humbrol 73 on my clog.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Oh heck.  Please add me to the list.  I have a ton of flying floaty stuff that needs building and this will be after the US Nats so I might even have some time to model.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2019 at 15:57, PeterB said:

Hi Jaime,

Final word on subject. The Humbrol Acrylic 72/73 are a little darker and bluer than the Xtracolour enamel but again both very similar which seems perhaps to be correct for new paint - in his book "Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945" Ullmann has a pic of a Dornier 217E with a caption saying it is in the "low contrast 72/73". That makes me wonder if the various profiles I have seen showing 217's in a one colour green finish (like Airfix did with their kit when it came out) is due to failure to spot the pattern on old photos.

Incidentally, he also indicates that Dornier may have used a different colour as he lists two versions of both colours. RLM called both Grun but Dornier called 72 Mittlegrun and 73 Dunkelgrun and he also has a pic showing noticeable contrast on what he calls a weathered finish, so your Do24 is probably correct - it looks good anyway. I might use the more olive Xtracolour 72 with the darker and bluer Humbrol 73 on my clog.

Pete

Hi Pete

For RLM 72 & 73 I have used H243 & H244, and used H65 for RLM 65. The RLM 65 colour seems to be very contentious but I found it looked right.

I built a Fw200 Condor in the recent Maritime GB with these colours, see what think

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 11:07 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Pete

For RLM 72 & 73 I have used H243 & H244, and used H65 for RLM 65. The RLM 65 colour seems to be very contentious but I found it looked right.

I built a Fw200 Condor in the recent Maritime GB with these colours, see what think

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Your paints look somewhat different to the Humbrol Acryics I have bought but maybe they will look better on the plane - if not I will have to consider lightening them a bit. As to RLM65, I remember that when Humbol first started their Authentic range back in the late 60's the RLM65 was a lot like their normal 65, but after a while they changed it to a duller colour - more white and less yellow (the same happened with their RLM71).  I have read that the colour of RLM65, did indeed change that way in real life as the war progressed though model paint manufacturers seem to only sell the later version.

Later- IPMS Stockholm say H149 is a good match for RLM73 so I might try it for a more faded look.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seems more than long enough to finish my current project. 8 weeks, should be doable! 🙃

That would mean I would have two completed projects going into this, which should be good momentum.😁

• Like 2

On 03/07/2019 at 00:24, greggles.w said:

2 months to kick-off!

...or looking at it another way, that’s 8 weeks to finish my build from the last round!! 🤨

Hi mate

You can roll it over into this GB, so panic not and consider it a head start on everyone else  !

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1