Flying Boats & Float Planes 2 GB Chat

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Nice Choice 825.

Mrs Jockney and I honeymooned in the Maldives many years ago. Our transfer helicopter was an old Russian job which looked to be in very poor nick. I joked about had it previously been used in Afghanistan, and one of the crew said that was correct and showed us some old bullet holes after we had landed !

Your choice looks much safer and far more civilised.

Cheers Pat

The plane was pretty smartly liveried and the cockpit and engines were fairly modern but I think the airframes do date back to the 60s or 70s. They're also pretty spartan inside and the seats just little squares with a pretty elderly lap belt. But a marvellous experience. I did video our take off and landings on the way back to the airport at Mali and I'll see if I can share. It was quite a culture shock going from an A380 to one of these and vice versa. 

Hello Jockney et al,

Very happy to see this GB confirmed.

Today I saw this release announced:

Sydney seaplanes

Given that I am in the throes of relocating to Sydney after some 20yrs, it seemed an apt subject - and one well suited to this GB - so my order has gone in!

And the August start date is helpful ... I may just have the family unpacked from their boxes by then!

• Like 5

Lovely choice @greggles.w it will certainly brighten up the GB, with that striking colour scheme.

Note to self 

I must dust off my Contrail Perth, and my Daughters Arado 196 from the previous Flying Boats / Floatplanes GB

We are still looking for more volunteers, so if you are reading this and haven't tried a Group Build before, you are very welcome to join us.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Count me in.  There are quite a few options in the stash.  I’ll decide what nearer the time, hopefully something suitably Esoteric (proper noun intentional!).

cheers

Will

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/01/2019 at 15:11, malpaso said:

Count me in.  There are quite a few options in the stash.  I’ll decide what nearer the time, hopefully something suitably Esoteric (proper noun intentional!).

cheers

Will

Great to have you with us Will, you are very welcome 

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

These Group Builds are a bit addictive. Count me in, a pre WW2 Brit flying boat of one sort or another will be my probable first choice.

Tony.

Hi Tony

A man after my own heart, would this be a Contrail offering by any chance ?

cheers Pat

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Tony

A man after my own heart, would this be a Contrail offering by any chance ?

cheers Pat

Almost certainly Pat. I know what I want to do, but I keep getting outbid on Ebay whenever they turn up. My Plan B will be to have another go at the Matchbox Stranraer, one of Matchbox's best kits. Another possibility is the FROG Shark you sent me. I was saving that one for the FROG GB but it would fit here as well. Choices, choices...

• Haha 1

Although my recent models were: Grumman Widgeon, Grumman Goose, Grumman Duck, Curtiss SO3C Seamew, Curtiss SC1, Consolidated Coronado and currently I work on Martin Mariner (GB) and Boeing Clipper (WIP)  as well as Curtiss Seagull - I still have many options for this GB :)  Consider me IN. I do know what exctly it will be: SM 55 X, Beriev MBr2 (double build), Mavis, BV 138,139 or 222, etc.... Maybe Short Empire? All in 1/72. I have to think a while....

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

On 1/5/2019 at 3:24 PM, greggles.w said:

Hello Jockney et al,

Very happy to see this GB confirmed.

Today I saw this release announced:

Sydney seaplanes

Given that I am in the throes of relocating to Sydney after some 20yrs, it seemed an apt subject - and one well suited to this GB - so my order has gone in!

And the August start date is helpful ... I may just have the family unpacked from their boxes by then!

My sheet arrived yesterday, I am tempted to have a go at one of the options on the sheet for the GB (If I can wait that long! 🙂 )

Otherwise, I will build one of the 'boats' in the stash.

• Like 2

Hello Pat 👋 

Unfortunately I didn’t manage to get off of the water in the first floatplane GB. 

I was torpedoed. Sunk. Otherwise scuppered.

I will try again 👍 .

Please add me to the list. I will try again with the Dornier Wal that I had hoped to build in the last one.

Its still here, patiently waiting 😊.

Should I feel a little less ambitious, I have a tiny Vought Kingfisher on its way too.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4

Still a few months away, but I wouldn't mind doing this Aussie

Beaver sitting on the Hard at Lauthala Bay, Fiji

a0248e14-a736-4da0-8189-981bc4d5b6d1.jpg

Of course it would part of a Bigger Diorama/Build which would take I think longer than

the GB Time frame - you can see the Beaver on the left sans floats

74b04076-2305-47af-a2c5-c27d412fa6fc.jpg

I could always do this one (one of my favourites), if Small Stuff Models release their 1/72 R1830 engine before then

Small Stuff Models R1830 Engine

9821968f-9078-4fc0-bba1-674f963476d9.jpg

These photos are part of my Dads Kodak Slide collection, taken at Lauthala Bay during the 1960's

Copyright is mine per photos

Regards

Alan

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Count me interested, I have a Swordfish floatplane, Sunderland and a few other floaty flying things in the stash.

This may be the poke I need to do the Sunderland!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

Count me in. I have old Frog Shark and Swordfish kits that could be built on floats, but am not a great fan of rigging so that leaves the Airfix PBY-5A or the original Supermodel Bv 138 B/C/Minesweeper. I see somebody else may be doing it but is it ok to do the 138 as well?

DSC01101

Perhaps I could do a different version?

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I see somebody else may be doing it but is it ok to do the 138 as well?

Though its not my build, it isn't uncommon for the same type to show up in a build. I really cant think that @JOCKNEYwould object to another Bv.138. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

I see somebody else may be doing it but is it ok to do the 138 as well?

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete

Your BV138 will be a very welcome addition to this GB, despite the amazing diversity of aircraft types in the last GB I don't remember a "clog" being among them so the more the merrier.

Seriously to anyone reading this, I want people to build what they wish to and enjoy the GB. If 20 people build Catalinas then we will have lots of completed builds to admire in the gallery all unique because different people built them !

cheers Pat

• Like 4

On 06/02/2019 at 02:53, Thom216 said:

Okay, I have two candidates in the stash that I could do.

One is the 1/72 Matchbox HE-115.

latest?cb=20160614143403

And the other is the 1/48 Macchi MC-72

1017078-23044-68-720.jpg

Let's see if I can one if not both done, and actually finish a GB!!

Hi Thom

To my deep shame I don't recall ever having built the He115, however I have built the same M.C.72 kit and it's a cracker. However the float strutt location is down to you as the kit guidance is shocking, i.e. Which strutt front or back, which side the where on the fuselage and we haven't got round to the angles yet ! :frantic:

However dont be put off cause it looks like this when you are finished 

IMG_3842

IMG_3840

Mine is nothing to write home about but I'm pleased with how it turned out

cheers Pat

• Like 6

Hi Erwin,

Always fancied one of those but never quite got round to buying one - should be good!

Pat,

I built the 115 when it first came out and it really is nice - one of Matchbox's better offerings.

Cheers both.

Pete

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Did that use a V24 ? Or straight 12 ? Either way it looks very Impressive. 

I know nothing about this machine but judging by the exhausts perhaps back to back V12's each driving a 2 bladed prop with maybe surface evaporation cooling? The Italians built some nice looking machines for the Schneider Trophy races and I imagine this is one of them.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Did that use a V24 ? Or straight 12 ? Either way it looks very Impressive. 

The final design of M.C. 72 used  contra-rotating propellers powered by a modified FIAT AS.6 supercharged V24 engine generating some 1,900-2,300 kW (2,500-3,100 hp) "Wikipedia"

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

The final design of M.C. 72 used  contra-rotating propellers powered by a modified FIAT AS.6 supercharged V24 engine generating some 1,900-2,300 kW (2,500-3,100 hp) "Wikipedia"

cheers Pat

Just looked it up - very innovative design when it worked - first 3 had fatal crashes but last one was faster that the Supermarine S6B, but was too late to enter the race. Two V12s in tandem, each driving one of the two contra-rotating props, thus countering the massive torque that on some other planes forced one float much deeper into the water than the other and caused them to go round in circles instead of taking off! Similar idea to Fairey Gannet.

Clever and it looked good as well. Nice one Pat. Props look like they are chrome plated.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

I bought this today for 4 Euros at a rummage sale...

1019681-22198-80-720.jpg

I built the updated version of this kit in the first edition of the GB (finished it long after the GB ended, though). You can take a look at the results here if you're interested. The WIP is here.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2