The Rise and Fall of an Empire - 11 to go

trickyrich

This is a follow up to the Pacific at War GB, as there was quite a lot of interest in a few of the other conflicts in this region that weren’t covered by that one. So this hopefully will cover those, a lot of these were important conflicts and changed the fortunes of those involved in the pacific.

So again I’d like to propose these 3 4 subjects for sub-builds:

·      Attack on Pearl Harbour – focusing on the attack of Pearl Harbour

·      Island Hopping – covering the island campaigns/battles

·      Defence of the Homeland – The home island under siege. (from June 1944) 

.      China 1937-45

The first is pretty self-explanatory.

Island Hopping covers the Philippines, New Guinea and island east of them and the air/land/sea craft involved in those campaigns.

Finally, Defence of the Homeland covers the final campaign over Japan, self defence fighters vs B-29’s!

Plus the new addition. This would cover Japans invasion of China up to the Soviet Invasion in August 1945, this would included Allied operations in this area and against the Homeland, SEA Operations are excluded this time. This will include the American Volunteer Group "Flying Tigers" operations in Southern China.

There’s something for everyone here, especially for those with an interest in Japanese equipment. These sub builds can be changed a bit but I really don't want to include stuff/areas that were cover in the current Pacific at War GB. Plus I am open to including the fall of Singapore if there is enough interest, I may add it to the first sub-build and change its name to...."Opening Gambit"?

I forgot to add one more thing....there are a huge range of options have for build choices, so finding something that fits should be a fairly simple task. However if you want to build something a but more unusual or obscure then you'll need to do some research to see if it fits. Then jut post a thread asking if it's ok and include all the info you found on your subject. that way it makes it easier eligibility wise, plus we may all learn some new! :thumbsup:

edit;

... ok I'd better start a list, if anyone would be interested in Co-Host also let me know.

1, trickyrich      - Host

2, Corsairfoxfouruncle

3, Sabre_days

4, jrlx

5, TEMPESTMK5

6, Cookenbacher

7, Knight_Flyer

8, SleeperService

9, MarkSH

10, Arniec

11, zegeye

12, Blitz23

13, modelling minion

14, LDSModeller

15, Giorgio N

16, CliffB

17, Jockney

18, helios16v

19, Foxbat

• Like 5

As i wasn't able to build either of the two needed tanks my grandfather drove. One of which he drove in the island hopping campaign. Count me in with a M4/105 Sherman. 

I might try to build a fighter to go with the “Defence of the Homeland” section. Probably a  Kawasaki Hien. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Please count me in! Plenty of possibilities for all three subcategories...I had just been considering dusting off my Fine Molds Kyushu Q1W1 Tokai ("Lorna") for the Maritime Patrol GB, but now I think I might save it for Defence of the Homeland (I'm assuming submarine and ASW operations near the Home Islands are also fair game?)

• Like 1

I actually hadn't thought about Sub's at all! As long as they were operating around the Homeland or islands then they should be ok, research is the catch phrase for this.

PT Boats and Landing Craft (Buffalo's and DUKW's) and flying boats all fit nicely in the second category as well.

• Like 1

Sounds good. I don't think the Tokai was ever based anywhere outside the Home Islands, but I will confirm the markings are applicable. For a submarine, I'd assume any boat that made a war patrol in Japanese home waters in '44 or '45 is okay? Or would any phase of the war be applicable...what about a Doolittle Raid Mitchell?

For Island Hopping, what are the rules on surface naval forces? Are the naval battles at Guadalcanal fair game? I've got the Dragon 1:350 USS Buchanan in my stash...

Also, are the Aleutians fair game for Island Hopping? Or maybe save them for PTO III in 2020? (China, the Soviet invasion of Manchuria and the Aleutians might fit together nicely in something like a "Pacific War: The Forgotten Battles" theme...)

Hope you don't mind all the questions!

• Like 2

As long as they were in the home waters, it should be fine.

Defence of the Homeland I was thinking from June 44 with the start of strategic bombing by B-29's from bases in China through to the end. Including the Naval air attacks carrier out by Task Force 57 and latter groups starting around February 45. Unfortunately the "Doolittle Raid" says it all in its name, it was just a one off raid so really don't count.

Island Hopping, naval craft directly involved in the land operation (bombardment, air support, troop movement, etc) are fine.

"Pacific War - The Forgotten Battles", I like that idea very much!!!.  :thumbsup: As you say it's a good chance to cover those forgotten but also important conflicts.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich

Count me in please I have a Tamiya Mustang and some decals for a Pacific Pony as I guess it won't qualify for the next Pacific Gb ?

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

On 31/01/2018 at 5:50 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Rich

Count me in please I have a Tamiya Mustang and some decals for a Pacific Pony as I guess it won't qualify for the next Pacific Gb ?

Patrice

No this would be the perfect place for that Mustang, I think P-38's will be a popular choice here as well.

20 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Count me in Rich!

welcome aboard Cookie, no worries will add you to the list...... me thinks I'd better start a list!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I have no idea what I'll build but I'll think of something. Please can I play Mr Rich Sir?

most certainly!!  Well almost anything with a Red Hinomaru is eligible, or why not go large/huge and build a B-29?

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

most certainly!!  Well almost anything with a Red Hinomaru is eligible, or why not go large/huge and build a B-29?

My one and only B-29 is going to be Kee Bird. The Grandfather of one of the Co-Ordinators at Toyota was an attack pilot on the Akagi. Moto was a good boss while I was there so I think I have my subject. 

A Hasegawa B5N2 Kate has been purchased. Unfortunately Moto Senior's photos showed him and the cockpit but not his plane's markings.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

For me it will be a P 51D Mustang what else !!

Patrice

are you going to be doing from one of the units in the China operations?

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

are you going to be doing from one of the units in the China operations?

Hi Rich

I am planning to build Margareth IV the aircraft of Maj James  Tapp of the 78 Fighter Squadron 15 Fighter Group operating over Japan from Iwo Jima ..

Patrice

• Like 1

O no!!! not another great idea!!!:angry: Now I want to be in and with a B-29 as well!!!

Thanxs rich, now I need to go looking for a 1/48 Monogram B-29!!!:doh:

Cheers,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arniec said:

O no!!! not another great idea!!!:angry: Now I want to be in and with a B-29 as well!!!

Thanxs rich, now I need to go looking for a 1/48 Monogram B-29!!!:doh:

Cheers,

1/48th B-29!! you could almost live in that one!  

Glad to see I'm keeping you busy! :D

• Like 1