The Rise and Fall of an Empire - 11 to go

trickyrich

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Bit cruel that. But before obviously :D

I'd assumed so. But you know what they say about assumptions...

And even though I'm not a B-29 fan, what happened there was criminal stupidity, and it makes me grumpy.

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

be a good diorama otherwise

I'm not sure that 'good' is quite the word that I'd choose, Rich. :) It would certainly be a challenge to do!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

I'm not sure that 'good' is quite the word that I'd choose, Rich. :) It would certainly be a challenge to do!

yeah....probably not the best way to have described it.....have amended.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

you're added.

That could be a GB in itself, one for all those "forgotten" or less known battles. We might need a history buff to help out with what to include, but with help I'm happy to start another thread.

• Like 2

Hi Rich,

I'd be in for this, I have a few aircraft that would fit.

Monogram B 29

Monogram P38 (Bong's aircraft)

Monogram  SBC2

Couple of questions?

1) Would this cover the Battle of Midway?

2) Cover War Prizes (aircraft captured before/at end of war)

With the B-29, I would love to do "Thumper" as it visited New Zealand in 1945

B 29 Thumper visit to NZ

Thanks

Alan

• Like 2

hi Alan, welcome along.

the Battle of Midway is covered and it's considered more of a carrier battle, I'd like the Island Hopping to be a wee bit more land based.

War Prizes is an interesting idea, probably not what I'd consider to be part of this GB proposal. It could almost be a GB all by itself, open to any era. I may just start up a thread for this idea and see what happens.

That's an interesting read about Thumper.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

hi Alan, welcome along.

the Battle of Midway is covered and it's considered more of a carrier battle, I'd like the Island Hopping to be a wee bit more land based.

War Prizes is an interesting idea, probably not what I'd consider to be part of this GB proposal. It could almost be a GB all by itself, open to any era. I may just start up a thread for this idea and see what happens.

That's an interesting read about Thumper.

Hi Rich,

Thanks, my aircraft will certainly fit in, I also have couple of these for

"Island Hopping" Tarawa, Iwo Jima come to mind

Airfix Buffalo Amphibian

Regards

Alan

I just started a thread for your War Prize GB, I think it's a great idea!!! :thumbsup:

If you happen to think of something else that would go along with it, two mini GB's together could help get the numbers and votes.

Though not all in the Pacific theater or WW2. I can think of a few forgotten battles that are in some circles considered the opening shots of WW2. I would suggest Manchuko(Manchuria), japanese invasion of china in 1935(31), Aleutian campaign, and Ethiopia(Eritrea)1935. The Italians gassed 300,000 Ethiopians in the Invasion and were never truly reprimanded for it. 

On 3/20/2018 at 4:20 AM, Rob G said:

And even though I'm not a B-29 fan, what happened there was criminal stupidity, and it makes me grumpy.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:11 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I couldn't agree with you more on that point.  

Recently rewatched the documentary and the end bit with the guy collapsing to his knees is among the saddest things I've seen on TV. You can almost see his will to live leaving.

A word of warning for 1/48 B-29 builders. If you have the later issue or an early release you're OK but there was a long period when the kits were twisted during production. If you get one of these you need to approach it like a vacform and brace it like a Victorian engineer would. Resin2Detail in the US have started to show this monster some attention and their B-17 stuff is fantastic.

13 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

there was a long period when the kits were twisted during production.

That was the late 90’s early 2000’s Revellogram had switched to a different company to make the kits. They didnt catch the fact that the plastic had a rubber quality to it. There were a lot of angry modelers and a lot of returned kits for a while. Sadly some of those kits wound up sitting in stashes for some time. Eventually winding up on the second hand market. There was a build here a while back with one of the rubbery Tomcat kits. 

Dennis

PS - Scalemates and similar sites are a good way to figure out which era a kit was produced by the boxart. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I agree Patrice, this is the perfect follow on for the Pacific at War GB, it has the subject matter that a lot of member wanted in that GB.

"Island Hoping" - plenty of opportunity for AFV's and landing craft, PT boats, plus of course all the aircraft involved.

"Pearl Harbour" - a chance to build some pre-war (only just) classic American aircraft and something for the ship builders to join in with the US Fleet based there that day.

"Defence of the Homeland" - time to roll out the big guns, B-24's and B-29's plus all the self defence aircraft

Plus of course all the Japanese Imperial Army and Navy gear we don't really get seen built. We got to see some in the Pacific at War GB, but that's a fraction of what could be built this time.

Someone mentioned another possible subject for this GB and in the interests of getting this GB up, is now appropriate to be added.

"Manchukuo - Empire of Manchuria 1931-45", "China 1937 to 1945" this would cover Japan's invasion of the region up to the Soviet Invasion in August 1945. Hopefully there are members who know about this conflict as I know very little. Which will including the American Volunteer Group in Southern China ........"Flying Tigers" anyone?

Hopefully with this addition and a wee push will get this one up and running.

• Like 1

Not to nit, but Manchukuo is too specific as it precludes the Flying Tigers as they weren't anywhere near the north when they moved to China. However it would include the various Soviet-Japanese border clashes like Nomonhan/Khalkin-Gol as well as the Soviet Invasion in 1945. There were also B-29 raids on Manchurian industrial centres as well. If you want to include the Flying Tigers then the title could be changed to "China 1937-45" which also opens up the operations of the 14th Air Force in Southern China as well the Sino-Japanese War.

Mike.:)

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

Not to nit, but Manchukuo is too specific as it precludes the Flying Tigers as they weren't anywhere near the north when they moved to China. However it would include the various Soviet-Japanese border clashes like Nomonhan/Khalkin-Gol as well as the Soviet Invasion in 1945. There were also B-29 raids on Manchurian industrial centres as well. If you want to include the Flying Tigers then the title could be changed to "China 1937-45" which also opens up the operations of the 14th Air Force in Southern China as well the Sino-Japanese War.

Mike.:)

arr hah!! I knew there would be someone out there who knew more about the subject. Now knowing what I know (which normally isn't much), it maybe better as you mentioned to make it China 1937-45, that will make eligibility easier to figure out.

Thanks for that Mike. :thumbsup:

• Like 1