Consolidated Liberator GR.VI

bootneck

The other 2 Liberator books that I've found to be essential reading for RAF aircraft are

The Liberator in RAF and Commonwealth Service by Air Britain &

B-24 Liberator in Coastal Command Service with focus on Aircraft of No 311 (Czechoslovak) Squadron RAF

There were 291 Liberator GRVI supplied to the RAF all (bar one lone B-24H) of which were B-24J and all of which came from Consolidated Fort Worth factory. 

However they were spread over various production blocks spanning the entire production run at this factory and are mixed in with B.VI and latterly GR.VIII. The first GR.VI was a B-24J-1-CF BZ960 delivered to the RAF (after modification) in November 1943 and the last GR.VI was KL351 delivered in Feb 1945 which was a B-24J-105-CF from the last block.  Note GR.VIII from this factory were delivered to the RAF before the last GR.VIs.

The good news is that external variations on this production line seem to have been few, being restricted to mainly

Nose turret type and fairing

Nose wheel doors opening in or out

Navigator observation window

These are detailed in Consolidated Mess.  But production from other factories had far greater variation.

Then there are the moifications for RAF service which are less well documented (at some point I saw something that there was to be a follow up to Consolidated Mess dealing with those but nothing published so far).  The last title noted above has appendices noting the configuration of each the GR.VI operated by 311 sqn in 1945.  In addition to the above these include

Some early aircraft with Boulton Paul tail turrets

Various aerial positions etc

Leigh Light (some aircraft only)

I think the best advice is to find out exactly what block and factory your kit represents, then get the best picture you can of a particular aircraft, preferably from as many angles as possibel) and build it or find a better kit as a starting point.

The Liberator is my favourite 4 engined heavy but until I looked at Consolidated Mess I hadn't realised how complicated its history was.  Unfortunately after that when you look back at pictures you have gathered over the years you begin to see all the things you missed. Then you have to put the RAF mods on top of that, some of which are visible but some of which are internal and hidden from sight.  My particular favourites are the Dumbo nosed GR.Vs in RAF service from 1943 to 1945.

I look forward to seeing the finished product (if I haven't put you off the attempt)

Edited by EwenS
Tap a talk not allowing me to finish!

Thanks Ewen,

I only have the one Liberator kit, 1:144 scale Minicraft B-24J and so it wouldn't be economical for me to buy those books (i.e. I cannot afford them), although they do appear to be great references.  The aircraft I would like to have a go at is this yellow nosed GR.VI - 3742 [A] of the Royal Canadian Air Force; shown in the lower half of the page.

Cheers

Mike

Is it this kit?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Minicraft-14402-Aircraft-Consolidated-Liberator/dp/B0006O91GO

So 3742 was ex 44-44351 a B24J-100-CF delivered in Jan 1945 and with 10 (BR) Sqn RCAF from 2/45, EAC Met Flight from 7/45 and stored from 10/45 until struck off 22/11/46

It started with the shark mouth then got the whole tiger face. and the photo I have of the full face is as impressive as some of the US ones in the South Pacific.  Needless to say the photo is of the portside nose so I can't see if it had a Leigh Light

Looking at the box artwork it appears to have a Consolidated nose turret. 

3742 had an Emerson turret. Nosewheel doors open out.

The cockpit windscreen glazing looks different but probably won't be noticable in that scale. Maybe even the turret won't look out of place.

Ewen

Yes, it is the same kit.  I shall do some Googling as to what the differences, between a Consolidated nose turret and an Emerson turret.  Thanks again Ewen.

Mike

According to the book I have "B-24 Liberator in action" by Squadron Publications there is not much difference between the two turrets on a 1/144th scale . I would focus more on the decals . The B-24J is very close to the GR.VI .  

When in doubt you can always shoot an email to a museum . I have had great luck with contacting them for help . You may want to check with the Yankee Air Museum in Michigan  , they are located where the Ford built B-24's were built . Here is their email address  http://yankeeairmuseum.org/ . Best of luck and keep us posted on your build .

Respectfully , Waistgunner 

Thanks, I agree that the decals will require most of my attention.  At the moment, I can only find a port profile of 3742 and will have to assume that the starboard view is similar.

I've managed to get the Warpaint series book on the Liberator and it has a full side profile of 3742 in the tiger colours; it also has plans for a B-24J-140-CF, among others, and I could work to them.

warpaint_liberator_book.jpg

I will have to continue this in conjuction with two other 1:144 builds I have underway, Converting a Liberator to a Privateer; and a Short SC.5 Belfast.  I'll spend a bit of time now looking into the decals etc.

cheers

Mike

• Thanks 1