Hawker Typhoon Car Door

224 Peter

I'm trying to find out more about the window in the "Car Door" on early Hawker Typhoons. 

Some authors suggest that this could be raised and lowered, like a car window. 

Despite much searching I cannot find either a photo of a window "half open" or even any authoritative confirmation that it was movable. 

Does anyone here know?

Hi Peter.

On "Camouflage & Markings" number 4 "RAF Northern Europe 1936-45. Hawker Tornado, Typhoon & Tempest" page 90 there's a picture of Typhoon IB EK288 named "FIJI VI" with the right window "half the way".  :D

If you are not able to find this book PM me (I think it's not possible to show the picture here).

Ciao.

Davide

Roland Beamont described this feature in his book "Testing Years" when recalling his introduction to either one of the prototypes or an early production example.  "The cockpit resembled the front of a small family car with a sun roof and windows that could be wound up and down.  These produced draughts and vortices within the cockpit even when fully closed...." or words to that effect (I haven't seen, let alone read, my copy for some time).  To say that he wasn't impressed with the cockpit ergonomics appears to be a significant understatement but he went on to champion the type and helped to turn it into the potent weapon that it became.

Roland Beamont described this feature in his book "Testing Years" when recalling his introduction to either one of the prototypes or an early production example.  "The cockpit resembled the front of a small family car with a sun roof and windows that could be wound up and down.  These produced draughts and vortices within the cockpit even when fully closed...." or words to that effect (I haven't seen, let alone read, my copy for some time).  To say that he wasn't impressed with the cockpit ergonomics appears to be a significant understatement but he went on to champion the type and helped to turn it into the potent weapon that it became.

Many thanks, especially Davide.. I think I have that book somewhere, must check. 

If the car door Typhoon was as windproof  as my old Dad's Standard 10 was at 40 mph then at 300 mph it must have been almost like sitting in an open cockpit!  

No wonder they went to the fully blown hood. 

Anyway, the task for today is to cut the window glazing in half and fit to the door, completing the cockpit. I'll post a picture in my thread in "Work in Progress".

Cheers, 

14 hours ago, davmarx said:

Hi Peter.

On "Camouflage & Markings" number 4 "RAF Northern Europe 1936-45. Hawker Tornado, Typhoon & Tempest" page 90 there's a picture of Typhoon IB EK288 named "FIJI VI" with the right window "half the way".  :D

If you are not able to find this book PM me (I think it's not possible to show the picture here).

Ciao.

Davide

Davide, 

found it, yes, it loos as though there is a few inches of "glass" showing. 

Also noticeable in the photo is a foot stirrup just below the rear edge of the wing on the cockpit side. Something to add. 

On P91 is a good photo of the cockpit door open and the roof section lifted. 

Peter 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davmarx said:

On page 90 it seems to see a sort of gasket on the top of the window glass... IMHO.

Am I right?

Ciao.

Davide

Looking closely I think there is a frame round the window, just as on a car. 

The kit is like this, so now I have a 2/3 lowered window, the door I'll leave partly open. 

What I'm not certain about is if the opening "skylight" comes down to the top of the door,  or of there is a frame above the door against which both the door and opening roof make contact. 

But as I'm not about to start cutting 45 year old clear plastic this doesn't matter, the roof part stays firmly shut. 

Dennis, 

Brilliant photos, exactly what I needed to know. Many, many thanks indeed. 

It really is a car door, complete with window winder and door trim!. The kit lacks both the grab hole behind the door and the door opener, also the door stay. 

I can make the grab hole and door stay. 

There is no upper rail, between rood panel and door, as I suspected but there is a top trim edge to the glass, that can be represented by a bit of black tape. 

All of that would look good on the big Airfix 1/24th, which I don't have. 

Cheers, 

Peter